Challenge-XVII-08

shulec

Grrrrr... I AM the force!
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 << or >>>BUFFY MOD 3.19.004b<<<.
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Large
  • Speed: Quick
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Required: No Tribal Villages
  • Must Not Be Checked: No City Razing
  • Civ: India
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
  • Date: 10th January to 10th June 2016
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

t177 on a rough run through running a SSE + cottages and with minimal micro . This can be done a lot faster.

This was a fun one. Needed some time getting used to quick speed, but I really enjoyed not having to go micro crazy during the end game.

Leader choice was interesting. ORG is usually my go-to trait for low level space games, so I picked Asoka without thinking. In hindsight, I think Gandhi would have been better. Quick speed makes it very easy to get to 1 tech/turn with only 15-18 cities. That's too few cities for ORG to shine. Some more GScientists from PHI for bulbing some more techs like Astro, Bio, Physics, Electricity without having to spend research turns on them would have saved more turns in my game than cheap civic upkeep and factories did. At 1 tech/turn, each fully bulbed tech saves a turn on the finish date.

Might have to play another attempt.

Never played Quick before, but had a go at this. Finished in 1540AD, so well behind Pollina. The speed felt really awkward. Too few workers for almost the entire game, and the cities couldn't keep up in the beginning. Had Education very early (Oracled), but by then only a few cities had libraries.

At least the game was fairly quick, so there is that, but it did feel pretty badly balanced. Maybe the low difficulty level made it worse, as techs are coming thick and fast.

I played Gandhi btw, as I figured maintenance would probably be close to a non-factor on such a low difficulty level, and PHI is nice for pumping out GS.

Top Bottom