Changes to some annoying name errors, plus Canada civ

Originally posted by purplexus
Originally posted by muppet

Hockey is actually a British 'invention', but we will NEVER acknowledge that.

Best get your facts straight and think about it for a second...

Hockey WAS invented in Canada.. if you want the facts about hockey look them up for yourself.. Now if you are speaking of lord stanley going over to england to play hockey and where the first stanley cup was awarded yes it was in England. a game between the Royal team and the canadian team.. I mean with all that snow in england they must have invented it as we have none in canada.

Check out this CBC article:

http://cbc.ca/news/features/hockey_history.html

Claiming that hockey itself, as opposed to 'organized' hockey is a Canadian invention just doesn't sound right.

This one suggests that the first ice hockey game in Canada was actually played by British soldiers:

http://www.maxpages.com/shsharland/The_history_of_Ice_hockey

Well you have to understand back then there was no real concept of a Canadian Citizen, up until even WWII we where 'Citizens of the British Empire' first then Canadian, In Quebec it was we are Quebecois....and that would be it, so techincally you can call almsot all of Canadian inventions up until then English inventions, but anyways Canada kicks butt...and so does our beer

Originally posted by HotDog Fish
Well you have to understand back then there was no real concept of a Canadian Citizen, up until even WWII we where 'Citizens of the British Empire' first then Canadian, In Quebec it was we are Quebecois....and that would be it, so techincally you can call almsot all of Canadian inventions up until then English inventions, but anyways Canada kicks butt...and so does our beer

I strongly agree with you!

Also to notice that Canada wasn't a country until just before WWII, we were a Dominion of the UK in wich the only difference from a colony is the right to vote it's budget!

As for the Québécois (i'm one), they are (the franco-canadiens) for the most part still like that...

Just a few questions concerning the .bic file format the civ mod packs come in.

How can I edit these? Is it a programming language file format? What program do I need to open it up, view it and edit it to make my own civ?

Also, is it possible to edit each civ to have 3 distinctions, for example the new Canada civ could be industrious, scientific, as well as, expansionist? You could add to commercial to the Americans and so on.

Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks.

"You say Canada suck.. hmmm... who won GOLD in men and woman hockey in Salt Lake city?

Take THAT!
*start signing We Are the Champions...*"

What? Canada can't even beat Cuba or Trinidad & Tobago in CONCACAF? What? USA finishes in top 3 EVERY year? (Damn Costa Ricans won it last year :/) What? Canada has only been in one World Cup ever? (and they got their asses kicked hardcore) What? USA beat one of the top countries in the world, Portugal, and almost beat eventual runner up, Germany?

What? Doug Flutie is one of the best players from the CFL and he's only a backup in the NFL? What? Canada got owned in the World Basketball championships? What? The only team they beat the whole tournament was Lebanon? What? The Montreal Expos are going to be contracted because they suck so much?

And where is the Stanley cup this year? Is it in Toronto? Is it in Vancouver? Is it in Calgary? Is it in Winnipeg, Edmonton, or Ottowa? I believe it resides in JOE LOUIS ARENA right here in Detroit! What up now Canada? WHAT UP NOW! :p

im not gonn argue with you about the other sports, and i agfree expos suck :p

but hockey wise, hard to competition when detroit salarial mass is 4 times that of any Canadien team

because we have to pay player in #%$?%$?$% american money and we get our money in canadien

why should player who spends from august to june here... should be paid in american money for working here?

i never understood that.

Since Civ III is just a game, I don't see why Canada shouldn't be a civ to play. Civs like Canada, USA, Australia are young compared to the egyptian but, we enter in a discussion civilization vs nation rather than wether or not Canada should be or not in Civ III.

For the insider Canadians, it is hard to define Canada because there is more than one nation in this country. The English, the French and all the natives are different nations with different languages, different political and historical choices, and different civil laws. It is then hard to reflect it into a civilization game because there still a political problem on that matter into Canada.

Canada should rather look like the new European Union.

The French part of Canada is mostly located in Québec while the rest is English. Natives are spread everywhere and they try to do their best with the remaining lands.

The two biggest issues...

Québec: This nations is out of the constitution since 1982 and it is unacceptable that the English part of the country can set the rules alone. Two solutions ahead. Québec separate or, Québec obey to the rest of the country till the end of its distinct existence. Well, these is a third solution but, the partisans of the two previous ones have a lot of difficulties to accept it. The recognition of Québec nation and a deal signed with these two main nations to form a REAL confederation like the EU and like it was supposed to be in 1867. The day Canada was born.

Natives... a lot of work ahead. They really need the recognition of sub nation and some kind of sovereignty on their own lands. They still fight bit time for every inch since the time the Europeans conquered north america. In 2002, it is unacceptable.

Despite all these nations had several conflicts at each others, they managed pretty well to develop this country and place it amoung one of the best reputation in the world.

See... the history of Canada is very interesting and it deserves more than a good beer reputation. However, several issues must be resolves before the real face of Canada can be revealed to the rest of the world.

Oh, by the way! Iroquois is more legitimated to be in civilization than canadians (english & french). In the early colonization of north american, the Iroquois nation was more developped and avance in many aspects than English, French and Dutch. However, they were way more naïve and not pretty much equiped in arsenal.

PS: Avis aux fédéralistes-unitaristes et aux séparatistes, vous ne m'impressionez guère. Je salut amicalement les confédéralistes et les souverainistes. ;)

tpasmall said:
New Great Wonder idea- Stanley Cup
If anything it should count as a second capital (third if you have the Forbidden Palace).
And on the note of civs not in the game, what happened to the Carthaginians, they were the best civ in civ2. Personally, im thinking of replacing india with them, considering the special unit would be the same.

These are great...the mod should definitely repalace/rename the following:

New reilgion: Taoism changes to Hockey (of course)
Allows you to create Great Artists Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux
Allows you to create Great Scientists Scotty Bowman and Don Cherry

UU= "4th Line Goon" (a little Ty Domi icon)

All Temples change to Tim Horton's

You can research Curling and Baseball
Baseball allows you to build GW "Olympic Stadium" which becomes obsolete with the discovery of the Washington Senators

Resources change from Pigs, Corn, and Dyes to Backbacon, Crepes, and Elsinore.

Good Day!
So, like, did I miss something, or has anyone actually said what mod this is we're talkin' aboot? What got updated?
Also, great idea about the Canada civ goin Old Time Hockey there... leaderhead should be Don Cherry, and his collars and coats get weirder over time... other leaders mebbe Maurice Richard, and Gordie Howe (yes a Deadwing but Canada born) I saw the Dallas Stars play the Habs in the Molson Centre once (the ex won tickets on the radio! whee! $3,000.00 prize tax on next year's taxes sorta took the wind out, tho...) and got a great lesson in Quebecois: I kept saying, "Pardon" to people when i wanted by, or did something American like step on a toe in the crosswalk. People would stop and glare at me impatiently, like, "WELL?? Now what??". Finally a helpful grrl with earmuffs took pity and said, "You must say, "scusee", not "pardon". That means excuse me. You've been asking them to pay attention to you." Then I tried to order in broken Quebecois for a few painful minutes, while the guy just stared at me. He finally said, "would it help you to order in English?".
Why do people think Americans are stoopid?

@Yumyumtreetree

Wow, thats really something! How about a nuclear unit that represents steroids? IT would become obsolete with the discovery of the Congressional Hearings!

I feel I should comment on the Canada civ thing too..

Canada is in the same ditch we (America) are, we arent only enough to be compared to, say, Egypt or England or anything like that, but are there becaus we are a modern day power who contributes much to the world.
Oh, and the Iriquois were barbarians, just like the other native american tribes. I mean, think about it, the people we popularly consider "barbarians" such as the goths, osthrogoths, visigoths, Mongols and Vikings, they all are the same, people just dont want to talk about it, because its a "sensitive subject." They ought to be just another one of those barbarian tribes who raids our unguarded settler, and gives us a free 25 gold (and sometimes an elite unit! :) )

Thats all I have to say about that.

Well I am glad you guys got a kick out of the post. BTW, I just noticed that my reply was to a thread written in 2002 so I am surpised you guys even found it! lol

Top Bottom