Changing location of "My games" folder

Is there a way to change where Civ 5 looks for the folder that contains the saves, mods, screenshot, and other folders?

It's set to C:, in user/you/My Documents/My Games/Sid Mier's Civilization V , but I don't have a whole lot of room on C:, and I need every megabyte I can spare, and having that folder stored on the drive all my steam stuff is on would be very helpful.

According to p. 14 of the manual:

You cannot by default save your games into other directories.

As far as I know, no one has ever found a way to change the location of the saves and the other items you mentioned.

You can change the identity of the "My Documents" folder itself. I did this to free up space on my dedicated Windows partition, putting the My Documents on my E: drive.

This may (most likely) not be the solution for you but it's an option. I forget how it's done but it was rather easy. It was not, however, as easy as just moving the folder :mischief: .

If you go to C:/users/whatevertheadminfoldername/my documents you can change where the files are stored by right clicking on my documents and selecting the location tab. I tried to go to the next level and just select my games, but it does not give that option. There are a lot of directories and files under that folder, so I would make sure the drive you are going to use has lots of free space. I am not sure if that is what you need, but it is the closest I could find.

Software should still see the folder as required by windows, but windows will store all the files at another designation. I would assume that all the files may be moved, so you may want to back up anything in case something happens and you want to restore it back to the way it was.

I wish I could offer more help, but really not my area of expertise. I forgot to ask if steam is on C. You can always move steam to another drive and if you have a lot of games in steam it will clear up a lot of space on C. I have seen one steam account that took up 60 GB.

Top Bottom