• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

[BTS] Changing the HUD/UI colour from blue to a different colour.

Universe188

Chieftain
Hello all,

I have encountered a problem while attempting to edit the colour of the HUD/UI from blue to a different colour for a mod that I'm working on. I have tried following the guide outlined here that deals with my issue:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/tut-easy-modify-ui-hud-colors-fonts-in-bts.244965/

Unfortunately, the two links provided in this thread have become obsolete so I have copied the original 'Resource' folder from Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete/Beyond the Sword and pasted it into ../Beyond the Sword/Mods/British Isles [Name of my mod]

In accordance with the thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/modders-guide-to-beyond-the-sword.229557/ I have ensured that I have created CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml and placed it under ../Mods/British Isles/Assets/XML/Art, which reads as:

Code:
        <MiscArtInfo>
            <Type>DEFAULT_THEME_NAME</Type>
            <Path>Mods/British Isles/Resource/Civ4.thm</Path>
            <fScale>0.0</fScale>
            <NIF>None</NIF>
            <KFM>None</KFM>
        </MiscArtInfo>

Additionally, under ../Mods/British Isles/Resource and ../Mods/British Isles/Resource/Themes I have edited both Civ4.thm files to read as:

Code:
// *** Control Bitmap Theme file

// Set the resource
resource_path    "Mods/British Isles/Resource";

// Setup common properties
include            "Mods/British Isles/Resource/Themes/Civ4/Civ4Theme.thm";

Without editing the original blue colour under Civ4Theme_Common this already results in an issue where the game loads, but the HUD/UI is absent:

I would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can remedy this. The one user I had found before who experienced this issue claimed that they corrected it by adding 'missing files', but they did not specify which, and the two guides I have looked up only reference the aforementioned files that I have edited.

Unfortunately I cannot edit my post. The image won't load, so a better description for my issue is that the text is still present in the main menu, but the surrounding coloured interface is absent. Additionally the Civilopedia is affected and the only items present therein are icons, images and text, but there are no bars for scrolling, for example.

The image won't load, [...]
I do see a "broken image" icon, and right-click, "View Image" let's me see it on imgur.
The one user I had found before who experienced this issue claimed that they corrected it by adding 'missing files', but they did not specify which, and the two guides I have looked up only reference the aforementioned files that I have edited.
Probably from the Vanilla Civ 4 Resource folder, though I'm not sure which files exactly. The VIP mod has a custom theme and appears to have copied (almost?) everything. I've managed to make it work by copying only the thm files from BtS (compressed just 100 KB) and by modifying the paths in those files according to this tutorial. However, I remember that neither the downloadable package nor the code in the tutorial immediately worked for me, and that I changed the paths through automated search-and-replace because there were dozens of them. Perhaps you could simply work from my files; my only functional changes are a few enlarged fonts in Civ4Theme_Common.thm.
My Resource folder is uploaded on GitHub. Just last week, I came across some minor errors in three of the files that aren't corrected on GitHub yet. Those three files are attached to this post.
Edit: Never mind. I'll simply attach the whole updated folder to this post. :hammer2:
With this approach, the mod is only going to work from the BtS Mods folder in Program Files\..., where mods are normally installed; whereas, if all the files are copied, I think it should also work from My Games\...\MODS.

Either way, it seems inevitable, as you've done, to insert the name of your mod folder into CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml and Civ4.thm. This is a bit unfortunate because it means that the mod isn't going to load if someone renames the mod folder ("Failed to initialize the primary control theme").

Attachments

• Resource.zip
    101.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Thank you very much! Your file has corrected my issue and I have now managed to successfully edit the colour of my HUD/UI to green, and I have also managed to edit my font so that it is now red.

Speaking of fonts. Mind if I ask on this thread. Is there a way to change the actual character font for the game? Like say if I wanted everything to be printed in Comic Sans.

Speaking of fonts. Mind if I ask on this thread. Is there a way to change the actual character font for the game? Like say if I wanted everything to be printed in Comic Sans.
Replacing all occurrences of "Sylfaen" in Civ4Theme_Common.thm with the name of another font seems to work. I've just tried it with Tahoma. My guess is that the game first looks for the font in Assets\Res\Fonts and then in Windows\Fonts.

Thank you! Glorious comic sans cometh!
GLORIOUS COMIC SANS.png

Thanks! I hate it

You should see the pedia and other text. I am unironically making this my default layout.

Top Bottom