Chapter a Person Story

Neverwonagame3

Self-Styled Intellectual
Given "Draw Your Own Story" is here, I figured this would work here as well. If anyone's interested, they can add a chapter and we can see how it goes.

Rules:
-Try to do your best given your capabilities, though I don't think something like this is worth more than half an hour's work tops.

-Can use OOC to discuss developments

-Each chapter must be at least five three-line paragraphs

-Final rule: No "bathroom humor"

So we each write a chapter one after the other about the same story? So the first poster has a huge responsbility to shape the story?

Some years ago, my Star Trek club did something like this. The story ended up taking some really bizarre (but hilarious) turns. After we had a respectable number of pages finished, I read the story out loud to everyone, and one guy was laughing so hard, he was literally crying.

I'm up for this, as long as it doesn't descend into "bathroom humor" (it ceases to be fun at that point, and certainly doesn't merit being called a story).

Quackers- yes. That's right.

EDIT: I wanted to leave somebody else the freedom of first chapter, but what the heck. I've decided to re-use some of my earlier stuff. This is the first chapter of a story I was once working on with somebody else, but which never got finished.

The world was meant to be a "Disagea" type world, and I definitely meant to introduce comedy based on absurdity as one element of the new story. However, feel free to add other elements as you like- they don't have to be comedy if that's not your thing.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot my own rule! Sorry...

Editing.

----------------------------------------

The setting- an improvised interrogation chamber in the house cellar. Four lit candles at the edges kept the place lit. A weapons closet was on the exact centre of the left wall from the door, whilst the exact right centre was a book closet. Both were in meticulous order. In the centre of the room, a bunny rabbit was tied up in chains, as a teenage woman held a hot poker close it to it's skin.

"I have given you every opportunity to speak, bunny. Despite every torture, every interrogation, you have refused to talk. But I know you're out to kill me. This is your last chance. Spill your master's secrets- or die!"

The bunny squeaked in response.

"That's it!" shouted Genemal, raising the poker for a killing blow. "Die!"

Suddenly a noise emerged from upstairs. It seemed there were people in the house. From the noises, it appeared they were rummaging around in Genemal's possesions. "Be glad that your masters have to come to save you, bunny", exclaimed Genemal. "They may have bought you a short reprieve."

Genemal sighed, grabbing her sword and staff from the weapons rack. She listened closely, hoping to see what were her enemies were up to. She'd been trained to fight, to strategise, and to predict plot twists. She figured two mooks weren't that dangerous, but you could never be too sure...

"Our master seems a bit crazy, doesn't he?", asked one of the minions. "He wants us to take this woman alive, but we're forbidden to defeat her in combat? How the heck are we supposed to do that?". The minion sighed. "We should never have taken up this stupid job."

"Doesn't really matter, does it?", replied the other minion. "Pay's good- isn't that all that counts?"

Being the paranoid woman she was, Genemal has designed the interrogation chamber as if to prepare for a last stand. One of it's... unique features was that although Genemal could clearly hear conversations in the house from the chamber, the reverse did not apply. Genemal had paid a lot of money to make sure of that.

"Well, bunny, if I am to keep you alive then common courtesy as a Meta dictates that I tell you my backstory. Perhaps you would make a good sidekick."

The bunny, being a completely ordinary bunny, squeaked.

"This world of ours runs on the conventions of stories. I am a Meta, trained in the arts of narrative- to understand them and to use them. But I have no wish to take on the responsibilities of a Main or Side Character. The forces of Plot have tried to force me into that roll, to whom your Masters are unwitting pawns. If your Masters wish to kill me, I suppose I have no choice!"

Genemal opened the door, revealing two shocked minions.
"Crap!"
"What are we supposed to do now?"

She charged.

If she were acting in her capacity as a Meta, and the intruders were attacking someone else, some Main or Side, Genemal could just have given a nudge and the conventions of Narrative would have doomed the two intruders. What role do mooks ever have, after all, but to fall at the hands of the protagonist?

But now that she had taken a role, she must deal with them directly, in Story. Not that they posed much of a threat on that level either. She was well trained in the use of her weapons. The staff swung expertly at one intruder's knees, felling and hobbling him, even as a series of swordstrokes drove the other back. Separated, they were much less of a threat. A quick thrust dispatched the second, and before the first could recover his footing, Genemal brained him.

She looked around. The two had been rummaging through her kitchen drawers. What could they possibly want there? She held her breath and searched each mook. In the pockets of one she found only spare change and some hand-rolled cigarettes, but in the pocket of the other, she found a card with a single word on it: Quicksilver.

She instantly regretted searching the thugs. With that one word, Quicksilver, the plot had thickened. It would only be that much more difficult to find a way of exiting this Story and resuming her role as a Meta. She would now need not only some other person to take on the role of Main in this Story, but to find some way of weaving "Quicksilver" into that person's narrative. As long as she was in Story, she possessed none of her powers as a Meta. And that would make her search for the Masters only the more difficult.

Particularly with that tight-lipped bunny. The bunny. She hurried back down into the cellar only to find that the bunny had somehow slipped out of the chains. "Naturally," she thought.

OOC: Nice! Assuming we can't get a formal turn order established, I'm going to wait until at least Chapter 4 before posting my next one.

OOC: I'm sorry, but this is too confusing. I don't have a clue what you're doing here - is it a story or a writing exercise/story? :confused:

OOC: It's a story, but we can OOC chat about what's happening as we go.

EDIT: To clarify further, this chat is not meant to affect the story one whit. It's just chat.

Top Bottom