Cheat menu auto-activation

feelotraveller

Chieftain
Hi all,
I have a problem with the cheat menu activating itself.
It was happening a few days ago just after I edited rules.txt and I thought it was due to that so I did a full uninstall/reinstall which seemed to have fixed the problem.
But I have played for a few more days (with an unmodified rules.txt) and... it's back. :cry:
It hit me in the middle of a game (I was checking it intermittently after first encountering the problem) where I have not activated the cheat menu. Just to check I quit out from civ, started up again with a brand new game, saved at 4000bc without doing anything, checked that the cheat menu had not been triggered, then quit and reloaded. The cheat menu had been activated on reload. :confused:
I went through a few old save games and anything I load has the cheat menu activated.
Is this a known problem? Anything I can do to get rid of it?

I vaguely remember having read something about this years ago in the forums. The cause is the settings that the game remembers. Just like it remembers which view you usually use, how large is your screen, whether your grid is on or off, your music settings, ... When you activate Cheat menu it will be remembered. You need to somehow get rid of the preferences. I am not sure how to do it though. In Civ1 on Mac there was a file called preferences in the same directory with the game. I often had to delete it because some settings would get confused and this was the easiest way to set things right.

Many thanks for the speedy reply.
I deleted the CIV2.DAT file and that seems to have fixed the problem (for now). Strange thing is that I hadn't opened the cheat menu since I reinstalled!

Many thanks for the speedy reply. I deleted the CIV2.DAT file and that seems to have fixed the problem (for now).
You are welcome. I am glad that solved your problem.
Strange thing is that I hadn't opened the cheat menu since I reinstalled!
Most likely, the installer was trying to be smart, noticed there already is a civ2.dat file, and kept it.

Top Bottom