Chopping forests

civ2003

Chieftain
Hi,
I am confused by how chopping forests for shields work. Sometimes I get 10 shields for chopping them and sometimes I don't. I think I am missing out some rules on that.

Can someone please explain to me? Thanks for help:)

Hi,
thanks for the link:). I have a question, does the forest square have to be within your city culture border to gain the 10 shields?

The forest has to be within two tiles of your city - i.e. within your city radius, including in a tile that is in your city radius but is unworkable because it's in unclaimed territory. (I'm not sure if you get the shields for cutting forest in another civ's territory).

-Sirp.

thanks for clarifying:)

I misunderstood your 1st reply, thought you were saying "it doesn't need to be within city radius".

I think you should be able to get shields from jungle as well...
Especially when it takes so long time to clear the jungle...

@Sirp -- In my current game I moved a worker into enemy territory in anticipation of the expansion of my borders in two turns. The turn before my borders were to expand, my worker was active and I thought I'd get a one-turn head start on some wood cutting. Unfortunately, "clear forest" was not an option for my worker at that time. I can only assume that the option was unavailable because my worker was standing in what was, at the time, not my territory.

Originally posted by thedirk
I agree with Steffo, there should be some shield bonus for clearing jungle, after all jungle is a type of forest.

Disagree here. (Sorry for bringing in real life facts into what is a game, but....) Jungle growth is not condusive to the lumber industry as a rule. Unlike regular forests, straight-growth trees (which lumber mills rely on) are few and far between. That's why it's called "Clearing Jungle" vs "Chopping Forest". The word "Clearing" involves far more than just cutting trees. There is a lot of underbrush, vines, and junk trees with no commercial value that simply has to be burned or gotten rid of.

You might argue that you should maybe get 2 or 3 shields out of a Jungle clear, but really no more than that.

Sirp you do not get a 10 shield bonus for any forest chopped that's not within your cultural borders. Also if you are playing the ptw 1.21 patch you can only get a 10 shield bonus for forest chopping once per tile. So I developed a strategy for tundra cities to keep track of which tiles have been lumberjacked and which ones haven't. I never build a road on an otherwise useless tundra tile until after it has been lumberjacked. Then when the trees are cut down, I build road first then railroad if I have the tech and resources. After that I reforest the tile and move to the next one. This way, I know that my unroaded tiles can still be lumberjacked. Always build road when the trees are gone because it is twice as fast.

Originally posted by marceagleye
Sirp you do not get a 10 shield bonus for any forest chopped that's not within your cultural borders.
I'm pretty sure I've had a shield bonus from chopping a forest outside the cultural border, but within the potential 21 tile city radius of a city yet to expand.
I'm also pretty sure you don't get the bonus if the forest is outside any city radius, but within cultural borders.
In other words, I think it's only the 21 tile city radius that counts.
This is for PTW 1.14.

Originally posted by Reagan
Unfortunately, "clear forest" was not an option for my worker at that time. I can only assume that the option was unavailable because my worker was standing in what was, at the time, not my territory.

I don't know why your worker could not start chopping, but I do know that it is possible to cut wood in another country. I 've seen yellow people in my forests (I was blue) swinging their axes to get to some fresh water. The ten shields did not go to my nearest town (in the radius of which this all took place) and I wonder if their town (which was also near enough) got them. I 've looked long and hard in cracker's book on Forestry Operations in Civ3 but haven't found the answer.

And yes, I 'd like to get 2 bonus shields from clearing a jungle. And also get bonus shields when settling.;)

I may have the answer to Reagan's inabilty to chop. If the wood had been in neutral territory, the chop-option would have been available, but if I understand the situation correctly, he anticipated his borders to push the territory of his neighbour. The forest first belonged to somebody else. It is not allowed to cut another man's wood. And although the AI does it, we do not. This may be considered cheating by the AI.

Chopping a forest outside the cultural border *does* give the ten shield, as long its within the potential city radius. This picture hopefully ends the controversy:

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 192
Top Bottom