Chu-Ko-Nu + Logistics promotion

Athe

Chieftain
Playing on 1.0.0.20, save game is attached.

I gave a Chu-Ko-Nu the Logistics promotion thinking that maybe he would get 3 shots in one turn, but no dice since he only gets two moves per turn.

Not sure if this qualifies as a bug per se, but maybe Logistics shouldn't be available to Chu-Ko-Nu.

The one with the upgrade is in the tile to the right of Tomboucto.

Attachments

• china_log.Civ5Save
    553.2 KB · Views: 180
Well isn't there the promotion of getting one extra move so it could use all three shots if it would have that promotion. Still it could be made so the unit could not get that promotion until it has three movements.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but I don't think I ever got one with both promotions. I could go back to that save and try to promote that same one again.

If the logistics promotion gives a 2nd shot (or two in total) it's logical if this promotion is not available to the Chu-Ko-Nu since it already has two shots. Either that, or it should give a 3rd shot if you give it that promotion. So, it's a bug one way or the other.

Why doesn't it just START with the promotion? Problem solved.

It starts with a different promotion that just says "this unit can attack twice in one turn" or something like that. I guess they made that promotion separate from Logistics since you have to have a few others before you even unlock Logistics.

It starts with a different promotion that just says "this unit can attack twice in one turn" or something like that. I guess they made that promotion separate from Logistics since you have to have a few others before you even unlock Logistics.

There are a number of promotions that are already handled that way. Indirect fire, for instance, is available to highly promoted catapults, but artillery gets it for free. I'm curious to see if cho-ku-nos with movement +1 and an extra shot can fire 3 times though.:eek:

Does logistics allow you to fire and then move, though? I haven't ever upgraded someone high enough to see it. A Chu-ko-nu can fire and then move without upgrades.

Does logistics allow you to fire and then move, though? I haven't ever upgraded someone high enough to see it. A Chu-ko-nu can fire and then move without upgrades.

Nope, I took two shots and then was out of moves.

The next time I have time to play, I'll see if I can't get that one the +1 move promotion and see how that works out.

There are a number of promotions that are already handled that way. Indirect fire, for instance, is available to highly promoted catapults, but artillery gets it for free. I'm curious to see if cho-ku-nos with movement +1 and an extra shot can fire 3 times though.:eek:

That's a good point. I wonder then if the intent was to allow three shots but only after +1 movement and logistics were achieved.

Here's a promotions break down from the XML files: (Remember that 1 Attack=1 MP)
Chu-Ko-Nus get a unique promotion called Second Attack.

Second Attack gives you +1 Attack.
Logistics gives you +1 Attack. Logistics is only for Ranged and Naval.
Blitz gives you +1 Attack. Blitz is only for Melee and Air.

Each attack uses up 1 movement point though, which means a Chu-Ko-Nu would need 3 movement to get 3 attacks with Logistics. However, a Mechanized Infantry gets 4 movement points as standard. So, as long as you can get that Chu-Ko-Nu upgraded to a Mech, you can get that extra attack back even without Mobility.

A sickening thing to note: A Chu-No-Ku which is ranged and can get Logistics could be upgraded to a Mechanized Infantry, which is Melee. Technically, with enough upgrades, you could also get Blitz with that Mech. That Mechanized Infantry would get 4 attacks. It would also have Level 3 Shock/Drill and Level 3 Barrage/Accuracy. Ew.

Blitz gives you +1 Attack. Blitz is only for Melee and Air.

I am afraid u are wrong since blitz in not only for mele and ai, but also for chariots and war elefants which count mounted. A war elephant which has 3 movement can shoot 3 times with a blitz upgrade (1 shot per move) if he has the target in range . They can get the mobility promotion which is +1 movement = 3+1= 4 shots if target is in range. This is even more imbalanced when u have a egiptian chariot which has 5 movent per si and that means +blitz+ 1 mobility = 6 shots (1 per movement poits left). I alrdy adressed this IMBAlanced units in one of my posts, together with other stuff comparing a 4 shots / 4 movement elephant vs catapult --> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388633

I am afraid u are wrong since blitz in not only for mele and ai, but also for chariots and war elefants which count mounted. A war elephant which has 3 movement can shoot 3 times with a blitz upgrade (1 shot per move) if he has the target in range . They can get the mobility promotion which is +1 movement = 3+1= 4 shots if target is in range. This is even more imbalanced when u have a egiptian chariot which has 5 movent per si and that means +blitz+ 1 mobility = 6 shots (1 per movement poits left). I alrdy adressed this IMBAlanced units in one of my posts, together with other stuff comparing a 4 shots / 4 movement elephant vs catapult --> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388633

I think this is going away in the next patch: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391028

* Military – Correct promotions for “archer-like” units (horse archers, chariots).

I was able to get that same unit to the next promotion (save game attached) - but +1 movement was not an option.

After looking at the XML, it looks like Mobility is not a promotion available to archer type units. So really, the Logistics upgrade is a waste for Chu-Ko-Nus.

Prereqs for Logistics are Accuracy 3, Barrage 3, Targeting 3, or Bombardment 3.

Prereqs for Mobility are Shock 3, Drill 3, Targeting 1, or Bombardment 1.

<Row>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_MOBILITY</PromotionType>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ARMOR</UnitCombatType>
</Row>
<Row>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED</UnitCombatType>
</Row>
<Row>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_NAVAL</UnitCombatType>
</Row>

Attachments

• china_log2.Civ5Save
    560.4 KB · Views: 117
Nope, I took two shots and then was out of moves.

The next time I have time to play, I'll see if I can't get that one the +1 move promotion and see how that works out.

What about with roads? Could you shoot once, move (for less than 1 move point), then shoot again? Even so, sounds like you could shoot once and then move, which regular archers/crossbowmen cannot do. Their one shot uses up all their movement, however much is left.

What about with roads? Could you shoot once, move (for less than 1 move point), then shoot again? Even so, sounds like you could shoot once and then move, which regular archers/crossbowmen cannot do. Their one shot uses up all their movement, however much is left.

Chu-ko-nus can shoot once and move once without the logistics promotion. With logistics, it looks like you get an extra shot that you can never use.

I just added that Logistics promotion to my Chu-ko-nu. it sounded way too good to be true, and it wasn't. lol

These guys are already equal my cannons with double shot. and move once and shot makes it better. Cannons can take more damage though.

Maybe they need to add the Logistics promotion, or does the special ability go away on upgrade as it's not a promotion.

The default promotion in the chu ko nu is may attack twice. Logistics should add another attack but doesn't because the default promotion allows the chu ko nu to attack twice.

Dude, check the dates on threads you post in: this is a little shy of two and a half years old...

So, has anything changed? Can Chu-Ko-Nu with both Logistics and Mobility attack thrice, or is Logistics really completely useless on them?

Also interesting is what clearbeard said (three years ago!) about using roads to allow a CKN with Logistics but not Mobility to attack thrice. I wonder if that's also possible.

Top Bottom