City kills all my units one-shot

ocau

Chieftain
Hello all,

I think I found a bug in Civ 5 complete edition.

I play a solo game where I use China and try to attack Amsterdam with some full hp units.

Amsterdam is 124 strengh.

All the units I send to fight this city are killed one-shot by Amsterdam. As the log says it took only 60 hp to my unit (that are full hp so 100 hp).

Please help me to find out if it's a bug or if I missed something.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0291 - 1842 ap. J.-C..Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 242
I tried the save and played a few turns. 124 defense is HUGE. That is very powerful city to be going up against with hardly any units. You need a lot more units than what you have to go up against a 124 defense. I personally wouldn't attack a city like that without a half-dozen artillery and a half-dozen melee units. And I would have waited until I had infantry, instead of riflemen.

Your artillery are totally unprotected with no melee units in front. You don't even have any melee units near Amsterdam.

I don't think it's far-fetched that Amsterdam is one-shooting your units. They are arranged like a turkey shoot.

Plus there is a cannon in the city which is also dealing damage, not to mention the great war bombers bombing the heck out of your units.

I don't see this as a bug. No offense, but I think it's just that you don't have enough units capable or strong enough to take down that city.

Thank you for your answer.

I already know it was a no hope to win attack. the fact is that the first turn you play, the city damages the units near amsterdam by 60 and they are immediatly killed. That's not normal as they are full hp...

and there was a lot of units before the state of the save, that were killed instantly by the city. here is a previous save.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0284 - 1828 ap. J.-C..Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 87
^^I just played a few turns of that 1828 save, and I lost one unit. I repositioned my other units and using artillery wiped out half his units. Then I lost one more unit. I then used two great generals and citadeled the heck out of the Netherlands. Third one will be used to citadel even closer.

I didn't have a lot of units one-shotted and killed.

I haven't finished trying to take him, as I think I'd have to annex that one city (I forget the game) and buy some units.

Here's a save of what I've done so far.

NOTE: I'm not a great player and I was just trying a few things. And I may have lost another unit or something.

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0288 AD-1836.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 109
In addition to the inherent strength of the city, the Dutch took full Tradition, including Oligarchy, which provides a 50% boost to city ranged combat strength when there is a unit garrisoned in the city.

The only thing that would have made it worse is if Protestantism had the Goddess of Protection pantheon belief (+30% city ranged combat strength).

^^Yeah--I saw that, too.

I played a few more additional turns, and by annexing (crap--I forgot that city's name) I rush bought a few more artillery and a some melee units. Citadel-bombed and Amsterdam should fall (though with China casualties).

124 defense is a tough nut to crack.

Again thanks for reply

I played your save,

Just one thing, try to head to Amsterdam, I mentionned that there was the city attacks that killed units one-shot. In your save you are not in range to city attacks. I tried, using your save, to move the units 1 hex to Amsterdam, and they were all killed one-shot.

In the log of events, it is said : your unit was 74 hp damaged by Amsterdam, but in fact, the unit died. And it was not hit by the planes or the artillery in faction in the city.

I clearly suck at war, I already knew, but take a precise look at the Amsterdam city, which can kill any type of unit one-shot, I'm sure of that.

^^Nah--I hate using nukes.

@ocau: Browd mentioned something about Oligarchy, which may explain the extra damage. And due to animation glitches, it's entirely possible the garrisoned cannon caused damage as well.

I intentionally didn't move close to Amsterdam because I needed to kill his military units.

As I said earlier--a 124 defense city is very hard to take. I personally woudn't even attempt that unless I had infantry, rocket artillery, and bombers.

And those great war bombers are a pain in the butt. It would be nice to have some anti-aircraft units.

I honestly don't think it's a bug you are seeing. Maybe an animation glitch, but I don't think it's a bug.

Maybe a better player than myself can take a look.

So far as you sucking at war--you'll get better :) :) :)

thanks a lot for your support.

To those who would like to investigate, if they are any, I recommend looking at the log of events of civ 5, which save all events that happened and is way more reliable that seeing the animations, and you would see, as I mentionned, that units were hit several hp, but should not be dead...

Hopefully someone will chime in so far as the logs. I admit I don't know diddly about those things.

Good luck.

Also, don't forget that cities attack with 40% of their strength (60% with Oligarchy) without considering defensive structures, so 124 defensive strength with Oligarchy and only Walls, Castle, and Arsenal built should be 61.8 attacking strength. Units deal 24-35.99 damage (random roll) to other units of equal strength. Damage scales quadratically with the strength ratio of the two units: if the attacker has a higher strength than the defender, the outgoing damage is multiplied by ((x+3)^4 + 128)/256, where x = (attacker strength)/(defender strength). If the defender has higher strength than the attacker, then the outgoing damage is divided by that same equation, where x = (defender strength)/(attacker strength). A city with 61.8 attacking strength firing on a unit with no defensive bonuses can only instakill the unit if the unit has a base strength of 31 or less if it's a high roll, and the city will always instakill units with a base strength of 24 or less; defensive modifiers and other strength modifiers simply increase the effective strength of the unit (e.g. a single +25% modifier means that the instakill threshold is lowered to 24 or lower base strength on a high roll and 19 or lower base strength for all rolls). Artillery have a ranged strength of 28 (ranged strength is what is used to calculate ranged defense if the defender can ranged attack), so the city has a 52.88% chance (566 or higher on a roll between 0 and 1199) of insta-killing the artillery unit.

It might seem imbalanced, but that's the way combat math works.

Top Bottom