city placement bfc

I'll just pipe in with why I think this is a bad idea (cycling button crammed into that spot).

1. We'll eventually add another button, and another . . . so why bother fitting one in there when we'll need to move it anyway, and hopefully very soon?

2. Cycling buttons suck. We tried them with PLE originally and it was totally confusing. A button should depict what will happen when you hit it. Highlighting a toggle button is at least understood by most people, but clicking a highlighted button to make it do something totally different--not turn off as you'd expect, and not even turn on, but go into a third mode--makes no sense. Does it stay highlighted? Ick! You end up clicking it twice when you only needed to click it once, so you have to click it twice again to get where you originally wanted. It's maddening for users and is a horrible UI.

That being said, you're doing the work, and that tends to trump opinion. :D So if you choose to go this route I'll obviously not stop you. At least there will be some visual indication of the feature, and that's a good thing!

Please at least use the new, simpler hover text method to make it clear what will happen a) when you click the button this time, b) that there are three states, and c) what the shortcuts are. To do this you'll want to have a function that gets called to build the hover text. I'll post something later tonight about how that works. The only thing you need to handle in handleInput() is taking care of what happens when you click. The hover text is handled separately.

I disagree. A cycling button like this is pretty intutive, you hit it, Strategy layer goes up, hit it again, and editing layer comes up, hit it again, it goes away. People understand clear cut cycling actions like this because they are intuitive. Also The strategy layer belongs with those lists of buttons on the bottom right of the screen, again this is an intuitive place to go. Maybe more buttons will eventually be added to the interface, but none of them are as needed as this button, and none of them have such a logical reason to be grouped there because the strategy layer belongs with the other map buttons.

Don't really need one, event signs can be toggled in the BUG options menu anyway. I just don't think any other BUG feature is on the same level as the strategy layer, it's as important as the grid toggle button, so it makes sense to put it with the other map buttons.

Top Bottom