city placement bfc

bakshi

Prince
I am playing the LoR mod and it has BuG in it. So I was wondering is there a way to get BUG to show the city placement BFC's?

Sometimes if you post you can get an answer before you even finishing reading a FAQ! :D

And to think that this was actually the 2nd last question in our FAQ. You sometimes have to wonder why we put together FAQs and wikis ...

The Strategy Layer is something that really should have a button, probably best positions to put it would be the bottom right of the screen with the other map toggling buttons like the grid. Makes sense, and doesn't force users to find and then to refer to a shortcut list, or memorize one. Sure a FAQ can be somewhat easy to find, but do you really think it's good design to force users to leave the game and browse the forums to find the shortcuts every time they want to use the strategy layer? I realize hardcore players like you Ruff will remember all these shortcuts, but some of us don't.

yeah - I don't remember those short cuts either. Do we need 2 buttons or will 1 do? Can you pick up a Ctrl or Alt key dressed with a button click? If so, then we only need 1.

To take it even further, why don't we just remove all buttons, and run Civ completely by keyboard shortcuts? Why bother with on screen buttons at all?

yes yes - but can python pick up a button click with alt or ctrl key down? If not, then we need 2 buttons - if yes, then we only need 1.

I like the middle button.

Those are good looking buttons NikNaks
yes yes - but can python pick up a button click with alt or ctrl key down? If not, then we need 2 buttons - if yes, then we only need 1.

I like the middle button.
I don't understand the reasoning here. Why would it need two buttons? It's pretty reasonable to assume the user can let go of the ctl or alt keybord key when clicking on screen buttons. No other on screen button has 2 of itself to deal with the user holding down various keyboard keys, and multiple buttons just clutters things up and looks messy. To be honest I thought your post above was just being facetious, but if you're serious, why?

You cannot get ctrl/alt with clicks on buttons, but I can double-check.

I was going to use the middle button as the show/hide and the left button as the edit mode.

@phungus420 - Why do you always assume that the lack of a feature means we have decided against it or insist on making things hard for our users? Maybe we just haven't gotten around to that feature yet? I have limited time to work on BUG, and I need to prioritize. I also want to have fun sometimes--forgive me for being selfish :p--and don't always work on the most pressing UI features. Sometimes I work on techie framework code that is more interesting and challenging.

Anyway, the right side is a bit crowded. I had originally planned to put those buttons on the left side just above the production queue / unit info box.

BTW, the main reason I have been holding off on these and other new buttons is that I really wanted to get theme-based buttons to work as they are much nicer (active highlight hovers and prettier selected states), but it would make the installer (handling CustomAssets and mod installation) a super PITA. For the CustomAssets install I need to modify the original BTS theme--just as BlueMarble does.

I don't understand the reasoning here. Why would it need two buttons? It's pretty reasonable to assume the user can let go of the ctl or alt keybord key when clicking on screen buttons. No other on screen button has 2 of itself to deal with the user holding down various keyboard keys, and multiple buttons just clutters things up and looks messy. To be honest I thought your post above was just being facetious, but if you're serious, why?
The strategy layer has 3 modes ...

Off
Edit Mode
Display Mode

If a button can only do 1 thing at once, then you can cycle between 2 items. I am assuming that you don't want a button that cycles between 3 (off, edit, display) as that would be a little chunky. So, we'll need two buttons as EF has explained above. However, given that we have limited screen real estate and if we can get buttons to recognize the ctrl or alt key, then I was thinking of this ...

click active button -> off
click button (no alt or ctrl key) -> display mode
click button (with alt or ctrl key) -> edit mode

We can attach a hover to the button to provide instructions re alt / ctrl key.

And yes - I thought your post was narky and I courageously restrained myself. If you cannot understand what I am saying - ask. Believe me - you will know when I am saying something tongue in cheek as I am pretty damn obvious.

You cannot get ctrl/alt with clicks on buttons, but I can double-check.
I'm not sure - totally haven't tested it. I know that you can get hover over buttons and that you can sense if a key has been depressed - maybe we can.
Anyway, the right side is a bit crowded.
Really - I was just looking at it and I think that if we bump the 5 (or is it 6) buttons right a little bit, we can get 1 button in there nicely. Logically (to me), it should go with the other display type buttons.

@phungus420 - Why do you always assume that the lack of a feature means we have decided against it or insist on making things hard for our users? Maybe we just haven't gotten around to that feature yet? I have limited time to work on BUG, and I need to prioritize. I also want to have fun sometimes--forgive me for being selfish :p--and don't always work on the most pressing UI features. Sometimes I work on techie framework code that is more interesting and challenging.
Actually I assume the reasons that there isn't a button a for this (and wasn't for the BUG options) were exactly the reasons you give. I get caught up in my own focuses in RevDCM and LoR myself. So mainly just prodding you guys again about how this is a desired function from your end users. Since the BUG options button is done it's the only thing I can think of that BUG really needs actually. At least I can't think of anything else to improve BUG, but I'm sure you guys can.

I think we have room for another 1 button. BTW - how does the game tell the difference between clicking on a players name on the scoreboard with no key depressed, with Ctrl depressed and with Alt depressed?

How does the game tell the difference between clicking on a players name on the scoreboard with no key depressed, with Ctrl depressed and with Alt depressed?

Those are trapped in the DLL's widget-handling which has access to gDLL->ctrlKey() and gDLL->altKey(). Again, these may be passed into handleEvent(). They are not passed into the GameUtils getWidgetHelp() callback. :(

We can totally fit another button in there ...

I think we should go with a cycling button (off, show, edit) that changes as you click on it. We just need 3 buttons for this to work.

sample code for maininterface to generate the above ...
Code:
#		iBtnAdvance = 28 # <--- old code
		iBtnAdvance = 25 # <--- new code
#		iBtnX = iBtnX - len(kShow)*iBtnAdvance - 10 # <--- old code
		iBtnX = iBtnX - len(kShow)*iBtnAdvance - 0  # <--- new code
		if len(kShow) > 0:

Cycling would work perfectly, and NikNaks has 3 buttons that would work for it :)

sort of only need two ...

Off - Strat layer button with no highlight
On - Strat layer button with highlight
Edit - Edit version of Strat Layer button

Top Bottom