City state mission - build a road

jlaform

Chieftain
I am new to Civ 5, but not to the Civ world, been a long time fan.

I have the mission to build a road to a citystate (have had this mission in a couple of games actually), I build a road that connects my capital and the city state, yet never get a completion for it. Have had my workers build extra roads between the two. Have troops guarding the road just to ensure that no barbarian is blocking the route etc.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or is this mission borked?

I am new to Civ 5, but not to the Civ world, been a long time fan.

I have the mission to build a road to a citystate (have had this mission in a couple of games actually), I build a road that connects my capital and the city state, yet never get a completion for it. Have had my workers build extra roads between the two. Have troops guarding the road just to ensure that no barbarian is blocking the route etc.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or is this mission borked?

It's a post-patch bug.

Bummer, but thanks for the answer, at least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'll just keep playing and see how I like (or dislike) this game.

Bummer, but thanks for the answer, at least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'll just keep playing and see how I like (or dislike) this game.

If you can be bothered to do so, you may want to pillage the roads so you don't get charged for them.

The 1.141 patch does not fix this either - I had a relatively close CS last night ask for a road, I built it, and no change (I was the Inca, if that makes any difference).

I take it the logic for this is buried somewhere that we can't directly modify - I've poked around looking for any hint of it in the xml, db, and whatever other files -- but no luck.

I cannot believe this! In the game I am playing now I was going to build a road to a few city states. I hope they fix this soon, and cannot believe how they screw important things up, to try to repair others. What a mess this game is. Was Civ 4 Vanilla as screwed as this? I did not begin playing that until BTS came out. At the time my pc would not run Civ 4 vanilla.

I cannot believe this! In the game I am playing now I was going to build a road to a few city states. I hope they fix this soon, and cannot believe how they screw important things up, to try to repair others. What a mess this game is. Was Civ 4 Vanilla as screwed as this? I did not begin playing that until BTS came out. At the time my pc would not run Civ 4 vanilla.

I had probably fewer bugs but way more crashing/stability issues. My CivIV disks don't even have the right labels on them.

As far as the new road bug goes, yeah, it sucks, but fixing one issue really often leads to unintended and totally unforseen consequences. It's not as if that has only ever happened with Firaxis and this patch.

I had probably fewer bugs but way more crashing/stability issues. My CivIV disks don't even have the right labels on them.

As far as the new road bug goes, yeah, it sucks, but fixing one issue really often leads to unintended and totally unforseen consequences. It's not as if that has only ever happened with Firaxis and this patch.

I know and its ok as long as they are appraised of the situation. I am sure they have been reading these posts and I am sure it will be worked out in the end. While this road bug is in effect I may be better off conquering a few city states, and latch on to their resources that way.

BTS had some HUGE bugs on release too (not defending CIV V here btw)...The biggest was the spy missions. Originally, you could poison/unhappiness a size 20 city down to a size 8 with 2 spy missions! (even though this was fixed pretty quickly, and could be modded in the xml files).

ahh, glad this thread is here. I'm playing my first actual game (early xmas present), and couldn't get completion for this.

I even tried building a road around the mountains (so there isn't a city in between my capitol and their capitol).

Has Firaxis put this into their official bug list yet?

The other big annoyance caused by this bug is that the city states never change their requests once made or allow you to decline a request. So, if you get the build-road-request you're stuck.

Would be a nice feature...

ahh, glad this thread is here. I'm playing my first actual game (early xmas present), and couldn't get completion for this.

I even tried building a road around the mountains (so there isn't a city in between my capitol and their capitol).

Likewise. What a waste of built roads.

I think the problem highlights the issue with city states only having one request at a time, that you can't get out of it you find it impossible to complete.

Thanks again for the thread: Not a huge loss, though: I needed that road to control the mountain passes (Duel Pangea), so I'll just pillage the extra I don't need

It's understandable that code can be so intricate and delicate that certain repercussions occur. However, back in the day when I used to code, applying fixes to production code would always require checking and testing in a dev environment prior to releasing back into production environment. IMO this is very sloppy work that a post-patch bug has arisen.

I had one recognize the road last night, about 5 turns after I finished it. Had the same thing happen (same city state) with a great artist request...I popped one and it sat outside their border for about 5 or 6 turns before they recognized completion.

Was also a railroad, not just a road.

It's understandable that code can be so intricate and delicate that certain repercussions occur. However, back in the day when I used to code, applying fixes to production code would always require checking and testing in a dev environment prior to releasing back into production environment. IMO this is very sloppy work that a post-patch bug has arisen.

I used to code in PowerBuilder, and when Sybase bought them up the same things started happening. Fixed bugs were then unfixed in later patches and releases. It comes from lack of adequate Source Code Control mixed with unsophisticated, unautomated QA, or someone that doesn't test the obvious list: that of fixed bugs. I say obvious because it keeps coming up in programming, and has for at least 15 years. For PB, it spelled the beginning of the end. I hope this isn't a sign that Civ is about to die too. It's too good a game to let sloppiness or budget pressures let it die.

Boz

Ok, so I built a road from my capitol (Kyoto) to Singapore at the beginning of the game and late in the game they requested a road, and since I had it built already the mission cleared itself. But.... Stockholme requested a road mid game, I built one and it never completed... So yea, its a bit bugged up.

Top Bottom