City State quests.

TractorBoy

Prince
Specifically the quest to take out an offending barb camp. The following is something I kind of suspect, but have no proof of.

VERY EARLY GAME.

1 - Military CS asks for an offending barb camp to be removed.
2 - I remove the barb camp and pay extra gold to become an Ally.
3 - In this simple situation, I often find that other military CSs will ask for a barb camp to be removed.

The same can be said for Maritime or Culture CSs, take out an offending barb camp and a CS of the same type will follow suit, sometimes picking a barb camp many hexes away from their location.

I just played the start of a game on a pangea map involving twelve City States and because the speed was marathon I had found them all by the time the first barbarian camp quest was issued. There were five military, four maritime and three cultural. I was playing as Askia and was turning the pillaged gold from barb camps into units, so I had every corner of the map potentially covered for barb camp spawns. I had two goes at this just to see what the difference would be.

1 - I took on the first Military CS quest, this was followed by three more and I ended up with four Military Allies. Yes I know this was stupid because the last thing I wanted was an even bigger Military, it was just an experiment.

2 - I ignored the first Military request and let one of the AI Civs take care of it. The next quest was Maritime followed by two more, so I ended up with three maritime CS Allies.

I am playing the Vanilla version of the game, none the less this copy-cat CS behaviour could be common to all versions, if indeed copy cat is the case and not just a coincidence!!

As no one has responded, I take it that this was pure luck and not something that can be worked on as a tactic!

From what I've seen, CS just ask for you to remove barb camps when barbs from that camp are attacking the CS. I think what you had was as you said, pure luck.

I paid attention last night. From the 4 CS that were on my continent, they were one of each type. Camps spawned, CS's asked to take them out.

Might be a vanilla thing though, I know how you roll in that regard. Certainly doesn't appear that way in BNW.

From what I've seen, CS just ask for you to remove barb camps when barbs from that camp are attacking the CS. I think what you had was as you said, pure luck.

I agree with you on the whole, but I have stated that some CSs ask for a barb camp to be removed that is many hexes away from their position on the map..

EDIT- The whole point of this post is to emphasize becoming allied to the first City State and what a difference it might make.

Top Bottom