cityless civilizations

Pitboss

Prince
The PAX is over - A Gods & Kings summary said:
The Huns: Some of the speculation about the Huns has ended now. It was conjectured that they might not be able to found cities, due to the lack of city names, but this turned out to be totally false, as the developers confirmed that they can found cities and will take city names from the end of the lists of other civs. (source)

The post above made me think about the need for cities in civ. Why wouldn't it be possible to have one or more civs that don't create cities by default.

a) But rather spawn units just like the barbarians do. With the same ability to capture cities but at a bigger cost then civs with cities.

b) With temporary moving cities, that are formed by caravans. Also with the ability to attack and take over cities. A bit like the Tuareg people who have recently illustrated this by taking over some cities in Mali.

Yes, I was thinking about a cityless civ as well.

I was hoping that if any civ was going to do this it would be Mongolia. It would have been really cool if the great khan doubled as a moveable settler as well as great genereal. It can fortify and become a series of Mongolian huts, which is a city that can produce only cavalry units.

sounds like a good idea, but maybe restrict it to a certain era of the game

I like it. The game could begin with a nomad era where you look for the best location to settle. the food income would depend of the tile you let the caravan (or whatever) on, and we could tech normally without city. As someone said, some civs like the Huns or Moghols would have the ability of staying nomadic longer, maybe all the game.

what if forts were given the ability to create units instead, their production could be half of the city and it could be counted as a terrain tile, perhaps then cities could only produce civilian units (or militia) and the forts professional soldiers

also, if the fort is a great distance from a city, than its production could be lower

it shouldnt have an affect on population happiness but definetly cost gold, but to make it worthwhile, make it so that it takes less time to produce so that in time of war, whether on a different continent, an invasion or home front, wars can become more interesting

ofcourse, you shouldnt be able to build them in enemy territory but you should be able to do it in no mans land, but if so, it should be counted as a teritory tile for whatever factions units occupy it, if it isnt occupied, than barbarians or other factions should take over it, making the came more interesting

Top Bottom