CityNameManager+ Release

Buzzbuzzbuzz!

Took a long break from this obviously for many reasons too numerous and boring to explain. But I'm happy to announce I'm resuming working on this project again!

So first, 1.17. I noticed a few months ago that the modmodmod was no longer compatible with the current release owing to a reformatting of the way in which Civs worked. Priority was just to get it working again... but I thought hell, while I'm here, I'll do some fixes that had long been annoying me. So I'm happy to release a new updated CNM++, fully compatible and tested with 1.17, and almost certainly compatible with the "small map" github version too, as that doesn't look to have changed since 1.17.

This features almost* everything the original had including:

• Vastly expanded languages, with almost total translations for global languages and strong regional support for less attested ones. See the world rendered in Pinyin as you storm through Eurasia as China.
  • Fully revised city maps, with an emphasis on historicity. No more Kolkata in the Bronze Age, and much more difficult (though never impossible) to keep Babylonian cities in the Atomic.
  • Two brand new independent languages - almost every city on the map will revert to a local name when declaring independence or being overrun by barbarians. With two languages in play, even wars between independents can see cities change names, as the Sámi and Swedes wrestle over Scandinavia, or Ternate and Tidore jostle for global relevance.
  • Dynamic city pathing. Many regions have had multiple major cities throughout history. Now this is represented ingame, as the heart of Armenia can swap between Artashat, Dvin, Ani or Yerevan through conquest and independence. You'll never see the same map twice.
  • Much more historical renaming. 5000 years is a long time, and names fall out of fashion. Just ask China, whose cities seem to get a rebrand every dynasty. While the mod doesn't go *quite* that in-depth, you'll still see more examples of cities shifting over time, whether through linguistic drift or forced renaming. Likewise, adopting Communism will now see a much more thorough rebrand for the Soviets, as well as a handful of other new city names for other historically red nations.

As for what's new...

• The Tamils are finally free of the influence of their northern neighbours, with a fully realized Tamil language (with a little Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu thrown in as a treat). Conquer India, Indonesia and beyond with a new Dravidian flair.
  • Persian and Arabic may share a script, but they're completely different languages. Now, when coming back as the Safavids, enjoy a fully Farsi flavour when uniting the Near East. With New Persian spun off, Arabia benefits too, with a more accurate city map and language support for what was once the eastern frontiers of the Abbasid Caliphate.
  • A little rejig was in order for certain city maps - while more geographically accurate, the AI wasn't to know that a certain tile now represented, say, Sanchi and not Ujjain. Now historical cities will appear a little more often when the AI are in control. (But there is nothing I can do about Mali's capital. That tile is not Djenné; it's not even remotely near Djenné. I would mind more if Djenné were actually the historic capital of the Malinese Empire)
  • Updated the 600AD and 1700AD scenarios to better reflect history (only city names are changed, not locations).
  • A long list of random bits and bobs that had been playing on my mind when running games.

To install, download the following files. Then:

• Convert the Barbs and CityNameManager files into .py files (just rename the extension from .txt to .py), and replace the files of the same name in /Assets/Python in your DoC mod folder.
  • Simply replace the RFC_600AD and RFC_1700AD .txt files (no need to convert) in the /PrivateMaps folder.

As for what's next... well, the big map cometh, and now I've tied up loose ends with 1.17 I'll be getting to work on that immediately. It'll be a huge project, but as soon as I have a version that's at least playable, I'll be throwing it on the big map github. So stay tuned for that.

Any feedback, comments, praise or complaints welcome. Whether you tried it out previously or you're giving it a look for the first time, I hope you enjoy! :)

* I have yet to figure out how to get the religious renaming to work again. I don't actually know how to code python so everything slightly complicated is a case of me throwing what coding knowledge I do have at the wall until it sticks, and for some reason I just can't get the formatting for that down :badcomp:
Just came across this, unbelievable fantastic work! Just what I needed for a game of colonizing every island as the Tamils. It might seem simple, but seeing the city names change really sparks the imagination and paints a more vivid picture in one's head of the vast span of history this little game tries to simulate.

EDIT: A few oddities with this, I noticed you switched some of the locations for several major cities, the consequence being that say, the former Vancouver or Los Angeles locations still have a high settler value for the AI, but the names are no longer of the major city but a much smaller locality! I would recommend prioritizing the more important settlements in a place, though I'm sure that'll be easier on the big map.

Last edited:
Top Bottom