CityState bought by Venice, Razed by Japan

whismerhill

Chieftain
As in the title
some city state got bought by Venice and then
Japan declared war on venice
Japan Conquered capital of venice
capital transfered to the city state that was bought
Japan "razed" the last city of Venice (e.g. a city state at first)

I say "razed" in quotes cause I didn't see it happen before my own eyes (had no visibility on that hex) it just saw it disappear.
Is that normal ? to be able to raze a city state ?

thanks.

I think it is normal that a bought or married city-state is razed. But that the capital of Venice transferred into the bought city-state... Kinda weird... Are you using some kinda mod or is it a normal game?

It wasn't a city state any more after Venice bought it; it was only a puppet and so eligible to be razed.

Yes; if you lose your capital and all your remaining cities are puppets, one of your puppets will build a palace.

so in the end, venice has the ability to anihilate completely a city state by buying it
wow I'm amazed
but that means venice is the worst
I mean even mongols tend to conquer all city states (as expected with their UB) they can find but at least you can liberate them afterward ...

edit: ok austria too

I guess that also means playing yourself as venice or austria is a good way to prevent diplo victories

Venice is no worse than Austria -- same mechanic applies to CSs that she diplo marries.

If Civ A captures Civ B's capital, it has to relocate to another place, and in this case, a city-state. I don't see any problems with it.

Yes you are right, I read words which weren't there... I thought the capital transformed into the city-state :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Unless Japan razed Venice without any mods that IS an issue.. however, with both the Austria UA and Venice's GMoV unique ability the city-states aren't just "conquered" but removed and replaced with the quilivent of a new city i.e as if they settled it.

with both the Austria UA and Venice's GMoV unique ability the city-states aren't just "conquered" but removed and replaced with the quilivent of a new city i.e as if they settled it.

i'm playing my first game against venice. so this means that once venice puppets a CS it can never be liberated, i.e., returned to being a city state? that CS and its abilities are permanently gone from the game?

i'm playing my first game against venice. so this means that once venice puppets a CS it can never be liberated, i.e., returned to being a city state? that CS and its abilities are permanently gone from the game?

If Venice uses it's great merchant of venice on it then yes.

If venice puppeted it with military force then you can still liberate it.

That means that liberated cities can't be razed nor razable cities can't be liberated.

That means that liberated cities can't be razed nor razable cities can't be liberated.

Liberated city is a city given back to the original owner. so ina sense, no they can't be razed as you'd be razing your own people.

But razable cities can be liberated. All cities except capitals and city states can be razed.

The only exception comes into play from "absorbed" city states via Great Venetian Merchant and Diplomatic Marriage, which turn the said City state into "just another city".

To expand on what TheKingOfBigOz is saying; if Venice or Austria takes over a city state by merchant or marriage, that city state is from that point on treated as if Venice/Austria settled it. La Venta would be just as much a city of Venice as New York would be of the USA or Hastings of England.

Top Bottom