• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 4 and the GeForce 7050 chipset

valve

Chieftain
I've bought a new computer some weeks ago, and Civ 4 runs great, except that it freezes or crashes after 15-30 minutes of play. I think this is due to a GeForce 7050 mobo integrated chipset that someone told me is "too weak" to play 3D games. Now I can't understand why a relatively new chipset would be too weak when Civ 4 ran fine (if slowly) on an old GeForce 4.

I've installed the latest graphics and sound drivers, disabled sound just to be sure and the problem persists. It also appears in other recent games, such as FIFA 06 or Doom 3.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I would go into the Nvidia graphic options and make sure AA (antialiasing) is set to Application controlled. Also on-board graphics should have an option in the BIOS for changing how much RAM they can use, if you can bump that up to 256+
There are also default settings in the Nvidia control panel, in these cases you want to make sure most everything is set to performance, instead of Quality.
The other gains that can be made are in the CIV graphic options, low quality textures might help, or trying between that and unchecking the HiRes box below it (or a mix of the two). Along with tuning some of the left-side options to ~Medium.

Other than that, not sure. I have a 7600GT 256MB myself, I thought the main difference is more pipes for shading and gfx bandwidth.

Also on-board graphics should have an option in the BIOS for changing how much RAM they can use, if you can bump that up to 256+

Tried it, but it froze even faster (5 turns or so).

Antialiasing is set to application control by default. I also set Performance instead on Quality. All Civ4 graphics settings kept to minimum.

I know your problem is not a "bug", but you might find better responses in the Bug Forum as that's where I would imagine you'd find more of the folks who are more technically inclined. Unlike myself...

:badcomp:

Hey are you trying to say I'm not technically inclined?! ;-)
Honestly I think they ought to have a TechSupport Forum, and a "Bug" Forum.

Tech Problems really aren't Bugs.

You're right; they should, and they're not. As far as being technically inclined: I believe computers work because Bill Gates found a way to capture and enslave elves - if you know more than that, then you're more technincally inclined than me. I'd imagine that the Bug Forum would have more folks like you and, frankly, none like me. Hence, more helpful to the OP in the task at hand. :)

These threads usually get moved there, when a Mod takes notice. Ginger Ale to the rescue hehehe.

I think ppl post here as its much higher traffic. I actually don't visit the SubForums quite as much as CIV IV Discussions and the BTS Forum.

It probably - when I think about it, would be just as well to have a Sticked TechSupport thread, that we could subscribe to. Most tech issues are resolved within a few posts or not at all.

Well mines (PC) is running with the case apart atm, I haven't seen any Elves ;-)
Though in the hell-hole I lived 4-5 years ago, mice DID get into the case lol.

Now I can't understand why a relatively new chipset would be too weak when Civ 4 ran fine (if slowly) on an old GeForce 4.

Onboard video chips aren't usually as good as their card counterparts. They've cut a few corners in order to manufacture them as cheaply as possible so they're usually missing some features a card version would have. Dedicated memory is typically one of those things, as is 3D processing. They generally rely on software emulation to accomplish those things which can cause problems when playing games. You haven't mentioned whether this is a laptop or not, but if it isn't then I'd recommend going out and spending a few more dollars on a new video card.

Yeah I would Never buy on-Board video again. Compaq cured me of that - with my first "Windows" PC in the late 90s. Maybe if AMD gets their act together in the distant future and multiple-socket boards enable CPU/GPU socketing.

Well, I bought the computer to do some serious database stuff, not play games, anyway...

And it's not a laptop.

Well, I bought the computer to do some serious database stuff, not play games, anyway...

And it's not a laptop.

Well then, go and spend a few dollars and get yourself a half-decent video card. You could probably get one that will be good enough for the game for under $100. Integrated video chips are just not designed for gaming, they're usually pretty crappy.

Not for nothing, but I just scrolled down the forums and noticed that there IS a Civ IV Tech Support Forum. Who knew?

*chuckle* Not me. I would have expected it as a subforum heh.

Especially since there are TechIssue/Problems posted so frequently in the "BUGs" Forum...and the mods never move those. A bit odd I suppose.

Top Bottom