Civ 5 Hotseat With Mods --- options for passing turn to next player

scanner-in-my-face

Chieftain
Hi everyone. I posted the following on the Steam discussion board, but it's quite quiet there these days, and I know this is where the hardcore players hang out! The game under discussion wont be started for a wee while yet, but tbh there's not as much interest on our Discord server as expected. So I expect, if I can sort it out, I will be back here looking for interested players (of any skill levels). Hopefully someone with more experience of Civ 5 hot seat than me can offer options/solutions.

We currently play online hot seat Civ 5 using Play Your Damn Turn (PYDT). It works well.

I'm now trying to set up a roleplaying Middle Earth hot seat game. I can get around the Civ 5 restrictions of using mods with a multiplayer game using another mod or just creating a DLC --- that's not a problem.

However, we can't use PYDT because it requires the player civilizations to be given during setup on their website, and obviously it doesn't know about the Middle Earth civs.

I tried Giant Multiplayer Robot, but the save it creates fails to load (Civ just crashes). Apparently it can't handle mods that are too complicated.

Unless anyone knows of one, there doesn't appear to be any Civ 5 Pitboss servers for rent. And renting a dedicated Windows machine is too expensive.

The only alternatives I can think of us is to run a pitboss server in a virtual Linux machine on my desktop, and keep it switched on. Or for people to accept that they will have to manually save/load/email each turn.

Are there any better options that others have used? Anything I haven't thought of?

What's wrong with your desktop + virtual Linux machine idea? Electricity is (thanks god) not expensive.

scanner-in-my-face, can you tell the mod you tried to use and failed on GMR? I would like to duplicate the issue and report to the GMR developers.

Sorry, Sfinks, I must have missed the notification of your post. It was just that I would prefer not to have a virtual server and an instance of Civ5 running 24/7 on my machine, especially when I work from home and use the desktop all day.

Ayubalugu, the game never got started --- not enough interest. A pity, as it could've been an interesting roleplaying game but as always when a new iteration of a game is released, nobody wants to play the "old" games anymore. Anyway, I can't remember the details, but this is the list of mods I had (at that time) intended to use: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1911991645

Iirc, it makes clear on the GMR website that it will fail with complicated setups.

scanner-in-my-face, that is a LOT of mods :)

I am not very experienced in setting up modded games, but I can tell you that I played in a Game of Thrones themed modded game, which had almost as many mods, on GMR without any problems. So, I believe in most cases it should be doable.

Iirc, it makes clear on the GMR website that it will fail with complicated setups.

Also, I was not able to find what you are referring to in the FAQ:
http://multiplayerrobot.com/About/FAQ

Sorry for not being able to find a concrete answer for your issue.

Top Bottom