CIV 5 interactions with other CIVs (AI), what's the point ?

Diplomacy AI definately needs to at least have an option (although there is a mod for this already) to make them not get pissed over peaceful victory advancement. Starting a blitzkrieg because you build a spaceship part or try to build up culture is kind of ******ed and makes any alliances meaningless unless you dont go for the win.

But lets not pretend Civ4 diplomacy was better. Actually I think overall it was even more simplistic, although less broken...

Yes the whole Diplomacy setup needs a lot of work - the AI, the presentation, and what you can do. After the dreadful combat/war AI it's the number two priority.

4. Tax on open borders. Yes you may pass but it will cost you...

I think you've made a lot of good points, especially this. I would like to see levels of open borders, something like...

Level 1 (first contact): scouts only
Level 2 (the beginning of a beautiful friendship): all non-combative units Great Merchants, missionaries and the like...
Level 3 (what's mine is yours): all units (allow combative units)

Or there should be specific fees for opening borders to combative units per turn or per unit.

1upt has made land a valuable commodity for unit placement. Perhaps you could rent out hexes to other civs as "bases" for their military units (or make them part of terms of surrender). I imagine this would open a new layer of diplomacy for late-game air unit placement.

7. Pact of secrecy is a good idea but could be made useful by actual sharing of secret information with other civs. For instance a nation could warn you about another dominant nation’s intentions and plans etc. I could be used a national espionage e.g. Darius to you: We believe that Napoleon is preparing an invasion towards your borders. Or, are intelligence agency has confirmed that Catharina is completing the space shuttle part X.SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

I like this idea a lot, too. It would be cool to have another civ watching my back. Sometimes the AI gets me with a "surprise attack" but only because i don't like taking the time to mouse over my entire empire to check my borders every turn. I like your idea of having a warning system (which I think the game needs) incorporated into the mechanics of diplomacy.

Top Bottom