Civ 5: My Doubts

Tiberias

Chieftain
I am, as many of you here (if not most of you), a long-time Civ player, having played since Civ 1, through Civ II, Civ III, Civ IV, Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri, and Colonization. But I have serious doubts about Civ V, and it may be the first of the Civ series that I do not pick up. I realize that the game is not yet out, but most of what I have seen so far is not encouraging. My issues, in no particular order:

Combat: It's a tactical system shoehorned into a strategic game. I don't know what else to say about it, other than that it's a terrible mistake, and this is likely the game-breaker for me. I can tolerate a lot, but I cannot tolerate archers who can shoot arrows 500 miles, and one-unit-per-250-miles stacking limits. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of even the most basic principles of warfare on the part of the game designers.

Same Winning Strategy as Ever: Amass Land, Amass Population, Fast-Tech to Game-Breaking Military Unit, Amass Military Units, Faceroll Enemy (don't think so? read the Gamespot hands-on.) I realize that this is the "classic" approach to Civilization and it would be borderline heresy to remove it from the game, but with now five major titles and a number of subsidiary titles having come along, nobody seems to have ever asked the question of why this approach does not seem to reflect history. I realize the game is not supposed to be entirely realistic, but it is supposed to capture the flavor of history, and this simply does not capture the flavor of anything except a mathematical simulation that shows no understanding of history.

Plus, it's really, really boring.

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Mentality: Some point after the release of Alpha Centauri, Sid & Co. had a decision to make: stick with "classic" gameplay for Civilization and move in very small increments, or go with a radical, AC-style overhaul of the entire system, with a host of innovations and risky new features. They chose the former, and while this iteration introduces a few features that should have been introduced a long, long time ago (e.g. hexagons--squares should have been phased out with patch 1.01 to Civ 1, IMO), it's still the gradually-and-carefully let's-not-upset-the-traditional-players approach. Not only are innovative features introduced in a very limited way, but it is perfectly clear that they are very much "on probation" and liable to be removed at any time should they prove disruptive to "classic" gameplay (nice knowing you, Religion!)

Target Audience and Design Philosophy: Along the same lines, there seems to be a marketing difficulty at the heart of all of this: Firaxis knows that its core audience is the "die-hards", but at the same time, the conundrum is, why would the long-time Civ players bother buying the new version when they are perfectly content with the old one? The current approach seems to be to offer new versions that are mostly graphic overhauls of the older versions, but with some highly demanded changes (e.g., new Civs) and a few innovative features that tinker with the gameplay, but not by too much.

There seems to be a desire to attract a new audience, but let's be honest: that's not going to happen until Firaxis completely redesigns the game (hint: massively multi-player web games have very large audiences of new players, despite abysmal graphics and unbelievably atrocious gameplay; I wonder if they might be on to something that the old-school RTS game designers have not yet figured out?) But they can't redesign the game without risking the wrath of their core audience; so it is more muddling through with a few changes here and there and shiny new graphics, but essentially unchanged gameplay.

Graphic Requirements: I am reasonably confident my system can handle the game, but that's not the point. Firaxis doesn't seem to realize that for the vast majority of strategic gamers, graphics are not first on the priority list. This is not the FPS crowd that has to have shiny objects and loud explosions to even consider a game. This is a turn-based strategic game, it's highly unlikely to attract new gamers outside of its core niche (sorry, but that's the brutal truth.) So why the heavy emphasis on new graphics that is likely to turn away more customers (whose systems are not up to speed) than it attracts?

Lack of Insight: One thing I have always hoped for with the Civilization series is that it would use its system to explore interesting and complex features of human civilization. To be blunt, I just don't think it's ever gotten there, and I don't think this iteration is getting any closer.

The "Great Wonders" are a classic example of the way the game is designed: recognizable icons taken from history, with game effects that have very obviously been tacked on after the fact to make them significant. There is little to no insight, and nothing resembling any exploration of difficult and complex issues.

Take the Pyramids: there is absolutely no connection between the Great Pyramids and granaries, or between the Great Pyramids and choice of government, or whatever effect they will have in Civ 5, which really could be anything, because it obviously doesn't matter. Nobody on the design team has sat down and asked the serious question: what do the Great Pyramids represent? Why were they built? What impact did they have, and what do they say about the society that built them? Instead, the mindset seems to be: "Umm, the Great Pyramids are always in history books, so we better have them in the game, but what effect should they have? They're early game, so we can have them act as, oh, I don't know, like maybe a temple or a granary in every city . . . [flips coin] . . . let's say a granary."

It's an opportunity missed, and an opportunity missed over and over. A counter-example may also be helpful: the economic model from Colonization. It's not a perfect model, but in playing the game, you came to genuinely understand some of the fundamentals of the colonies' economic model; there were some genuine insights into history regarding the importance of specialization, investment in production vs cash exports, etc. Which brings me to my last point . . .

Trade: How many iterations of Civ now, and there is still no compelling game system for handling what is arguably as important a factor in world history as technology and warfare. I've been waiting for an interesting and engaging world trade system (and no, I don't mean just swapping gold coins with an ally, or sending one caravan and the money magically flows), but I suspect I will be waiting indefinitely.

That's enough complaining for one day, so I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, I think that Civ 5 will be in my bargain bin only category, which is a real shame (and even then, the combat system may result in a rage uninstall.)

Well thought out and articulate post, but my question to you is 'Have you played the game yet?'

If you haven't played the game yet then everything is mere speculation until then. You need hands on experience to truly get a feel for the game. Watching someone play and reading reviews isn't going to give you a true feel.

I still don't get how people have no problem with a unit taking 300 years to reach the next city in a war, but have a problem with the distances not always being to scale (here's a hint, both time scale and distance scale are intentionally unrealistic and have always been).

I also don't get how you can complain about one unit per tile and then say that they never make changes to the game that break up the formula. Also, aside from superficial (like moving the game to another planet), Alpha Centauri was still the same basic Civ formula. I'd argue that the difference between Civ2 and Civ5 is far greater than that between Alpha Centauri and Civ2. Also, some of SMAC's changes are inappropriate for a title that has to represent history broadly.

I agree with Kruelgar, also I would add that this is not real life. It is a game based in historical people, places and things. I have never had a game that resembled real life. The closest I came is when I built the Statue of Liberty in New York last week. Many of the elements included in the Civ games would never interact with each other, but they do here. Things must be change accordingly to fit into a game. In real life I would never have been nuked by Gandhi.

Combat: It's a tactical system shoehorned into a strategic game. I don't know what else to say about it, other than that it's a terrible mistake, and this is likely the game-breaker for me. I can tolerate a lot, but I cannot tolerate archers who can shoot arrows 500 miles, and one-unit-per-250-miles stacking limits. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of even the most basic principles of warfare on the part of the game designers.

When it's Gameplay vs. Realism, Realism loses every time. There's no really good way to model grand strategic warfare outside of the Hearts of Iron model (move units into province, game runs calculations and declares a winner), which is even less interesting than stacks or 1upt. As for your point about tile size: I'd rather have one tank division per 250 miles than 30.

Same Winning Strategy as Ever: Amass Land, Amass Population, Fast-Tech to Game-Breaking Military Unit, Amass Military Units, Faceroll Enemy (don't think so? read the Gamespot hands-on.) I realize that this is the "classic" approach to Civilization and it would be borderline heresy to remove it from the game, but with now five major titles and a number of subsidiary titles having come along, nobody seems to have ever asked the question of why this approach does not seem to reflect history. I realize the game is not supposed to be entirely realistic, but it is supposed to capture the flavor of history, and this simply does not capture the flavor of anything except a mathematical simulation that shows no understanding of history.

Strange point, since Civ5 seems to have finally broken the iron grip of ICS/expansion over development. In past civs, the right play was almost invariably "build Settlers, expand until you run out of land, fight war until you get more." Civ5 has moved away from that, to the point that Jon Shafter typically has a 3-city empire. Civ1-4 favored expansion, and Civ5 favors internal growth; that's enough of a game changer to make Civ5's winning strategies different.

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Mentality: Some point after the release of Alpha Centauri, Sid & Co. had a decision to make: stick with "classic" gameplay for Civilization and move in very small increments, or go with a radical, AC-style overhaul of the entire system, with a host of innovations and risky new features. They chose the former, and while this iteration introduces a few features that should have been introduced a long, long time ago (e.g. hexagons--squares should have been phased out with patch 1.01 to Civ 1, IMO), it's still the gradually-and-carefully let's-not-upset-the-traditional-players approach. Not only are innovative features introduced in a very limited way, but it is perfectly clear that they are very much "on probation" and liable to be removed at any time should they prove disruptive to "classic" gameplay (nice knowing you, Religion!)

This is best answered here.

Target Audience and Design Philosophy: Along the same lines, there seems to be a marketing difficulty at the heart of all of this: Firaxis knows that its core audience is the "die-hards", but at the same time, the conundrum is, why would the long-time Civ players bother buying the new version when they are perfectly content with the old one? The current approach seems to be to offer new versions that are mostly graphic overhauls of the older versions, but with some highly demanded changes (e.g., new Civs) and a few innovative features that tinker with the gameplay, but not by too much.

There seems to be a desire to attract a new audience, but let's be honest: that's not going to happen until Firaxis completely redesigns the game (hint: massively multi-player web games have very large audiences of new players, despite abysmal graphics and unbelievably atrocious gameplay; I wonder if they might be on to something that the old-school RTS game designers have not yet figured out?) But they can't redesign the game without risking the wrath of their core audience; so it is more muddling through with a few changes here and there and shiny new graphics, but essentially unchanged gameplay.

Again, see above.

Graphic Requirements: I am reasonably confident my system can handle the game, but that's not the point. Firaxis doesn't seem to realize that for the vast majority of strategic gamers, graphics are not first on the priority list. This is not the FPS crowd that has to have shiny objects and loud explosions to even consider a game. This is a turn-based strategic game, it's highly unlikely to attract new gamers outside of its core niche (sorry, but that's the brutal truth.) So why the heavy emphasis on new graphics that is likely to turn away more customers (whose systems are not up to speed) than it attracts?

Graphics don't matter much, but the certainly matter. I'll take Civ5's nice (but not system-taxing) graphics over the MSPaint abominations I've seen in other strategy games.

Keep in mind that Civ games are, in part, designed for the future; what seems to be high requirements (which they aren't) now will be trivial in six months. When Civ6 comes out we'll be playing Civ5 on our cell phones.

Lack of Insight: One thing I have always hoped for with the Civilization series is that it would use its system to explore interesting and complex features of human civilization. To be blunt, I just don't think it's ever gotten there, and I don't think this iteration is getting any closer.

The "Great Wonders" are a classic example of the way the game is designed: recognizable icons taken from history, with game effects that have very obviously been tacked on after the fact to make them significant. There is little to no insight, and nothing resembling any exploration of difficult and complex issues.

Take the Pyramids: there is absolutely no connection between the Great Pyramids and granaries, or between the Great Pyramids and choice of government, or whatever effect they will have in Civ 5, which really could be anything, because it obviously doesn't matter. Nobody on the design team has sat down and asked the serious question: what do the Great Pyramids represent? Why were they built? What impact did they have, and what do they say about the society that built them? Instead, the mindset seems to be: "Umm, the Great Pyramids are always in history books, so we better have them in the game, but what effect should they have? They're early game, so we can have them act as, oh, I don't know, like maybe a temple or a granary in every city . . . [flips coin] . . . let's say a granary."

It's an opportunity missed, and an opportunity missed over and over. A counter-example may also be helpful: the economic model from Colonization. It's not a perfect model, but in playing the game, you came to genuinely understand some of the fundamentals of the colonies' economic model; there were some genuine insights into history regarding the importance of specialization, investment in production vs cash exports, etc. Which brings me to my last point . . .

Again, Gameplay vs. Realism. Take a recognizable monument, give it a big ability, and there's your Wonders. Civ isn't designed to engender scholarly discussion on the Pyramids; it's designed to be fun.

Trade: How many iterations of Civ now, and there is still no compelling game system for handling what is arguably as important a factor in world history as technology and warfare. I've been waiting for an interesting and engaging world trade system (and no, I don't mean just swapping gold coins with an ally, or sending one caravan and the money magically flows), but I suspect I will be waiting indefinitely.

That's enough complaining for one day, so I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, I think that Civ 5 will be in my bargain bin only category, which is a real shame (and even then, the combat system may result in a rage uninstall.)

Trade's very hard to model well. If you have a system in mind that works well, doesn't require a huge amount of processing time (no Traveling Salesmen), and integrates well into the game, there's a LUA file with your name on it. :goodjob:

Amass sufficient resources to get a tech lead and then build a military to take over the world is pretty much how it worked in history. Rome, conquest of America, even WWII (where Germany eventually failed because they hadn't out-teched the others enough and because they couldn't match the Sovjets' production capabilities).

However, Civ5 seems to be designed to counteract this somewhat: expansion makes it harder to get social policies, science, culture and gold are now produced separately, social policies don't only depend on science anymore - basically, you cannot completely neglect everything while you're teching toward your super-unique unit.

Also, in Civ4 it was very possible to achieve a cultural victory without going to war, so there was some diversity in strategies. Since Civ5 makes the diplomatic victory dependent on city states, it is likely that it'll be achievable without excessive warmongering as well, so there are more options than the boring one you describe.

ShaqFu said:
There's no really good way to model grand strategic warfare outside of the Hearts of Iron model (move units into province, game runs calculations and declares a winner), which is even less interesting than stacks or 1upt. As for your point about tile size: I'd rather have one tank division per 250 miles than 30.
Games like Centurion, or Master of Magic brought up a battle screen where you could fight more "realistically". So there would be another, though very un-civ, option.

I am, as many of you here (if not most of you), a long-time Civ player, having played since Civ 1, through Civ II, Civ III, Civ IV, Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri, and Colonization. But I have serious doubts about Civ V, and it may be the first of the Civ series that I do not pick up. I realize that the game is not yet out, but most of what I have seen so far is not encouraging.
I prefer to say I've been playing since Civilization was released, as there was no number after it's name :)

That said, I disagree with you on almost every point. I guess this goes to show you that you really can't please everybody.
The pasic problem that I have with your complain is that you're trying to quantify something that is so abstract it really isn't possible to quantify it. You complain about the range of a tile in a game that can't tell you what a single hammer represents or how many men are in that unit. So just like one 'gold' represent an unspecified amount of commercial might so does a single unit represent an unspecified amount of military might.

I have no problem with the lack of realism in Civ games, in fact I enjoy it. I also look forward to the new combat system- 1upt, hexes, ranged attacks and all. Combat is Civ has been stale and uninspired for a long time, this looks to be far more interesting.

There have been other titles and mods to other Civ games in the past that tried to change the formula and yet the copy cat games and mods that have been most successful have not changed that formula. I see that as a good thing as I'm looking forward to Civilization V, not a strategy game using the name of a prior title that plays nothing like it. If you're not happy with the basicis of the game that just means the game isn't for you, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the game.

I'm an old guy who likes games, I'm older than many of the people here at this forum. I've also been playing Civ for a LONG time and, for the most part, I've enjoyed each title in the series (I like to forget that Civ 3 ever happened and I never even looked at Civ Rev). I despise RTS games simply because of what the first two letters in the accronym stand for.

Now, I can't speak for anybody but myself here, and I am definately looking forward to a new version. That doesn't mean Civ 4 was bad, it doesn't mean I need something completely different (there are other games to fill that void), it just means I'd like something new but familiar. A few new mechanics, some new graphics and I'm happy. If they can manage that and make it so a player new to the series can fire up the game and not get a headache trying to figure out which part of the spreadsheeet they're staring at needs to be clicked on it'll be even better.

Honestly, I'm not really sure why you have three sections here all addressing the same thing :)

I like the shiny new graphics, and not being 'first on the list' does not make them unimportant. If it was nothing more than Civ 4 graphics with some new mechanics I'd be pretty upset that they branded it as the next in the series.

While you may not agree, the visuals of a video game are extremely important to a lot of people. If the 'vast majority' didn't agree we'd probably still have many more text based games or the old 16-color eVGA SSI games of years gone by. Being entertainment, if it is dull and boring to look at it will lose quite a bit of its entertainment value.

I agree on the 'enough complaining for one day' part :) (relax, it's a joke)

In all honesty it really sounds like you are looking at the wrong game. It's like you want to play solitaire with your friends but you're upset that poker would be a better choice for that.

Civ is the only game of it's kind, it's the only TBS game out there that isn't bogged down in excessive details and attempts to be totally realistic. If *I* want a game like that, they're out there and they don't even have the same graphics requirement. So, rather than trying to change this game, try changing which game you're looking at.

When it's Gameplay vs. Realism, Realism loses every time. There's no really good way to model grand strategic warfare outside of the Hearts of Iron model (move units into province, game runs calculations and declares a winner), which is even less interesting than stacks or 1upt.

I disagree, but your comparison with Hearts of Iron (really the Europa Universalis model) is apt. EU is what Civ is not: an attempt to actually model history, rather than a game that happens to have a historic flavor. That said, EU and its clones are also stuck in an unfortunate numbers-based rut, that amounts to pretty much the same formula as Civ (more people -> more resources -> more units -> roll over enemy.)

A better example would be the difference between Euro games and wargames. Euro games take a game system, then go in search of a theme that happens to fit well on top of it (example: Dominion.) My central complaint is that Civ has been going more and more in the direction of a Euro game: design something fun to play, then tack a historic theme onto it.

The inverse is a wargame. A wargame covers an actual event of interest, and the design is an attempt to capture the issues and complexities that make that event worth studying. Playing the game (ideally) leads to insights into the real world (example: Twilight War, which despite some game-y mechanics yields some interesting insights.)

I don't want Civ to be a dull simulation. But it is entirely possible to design an interesting and enjoyable game that captures real insights from history--any number of wargame designers have done it (and as a further bonus, computer games can cleanly handle all the mechanics that can be cumbersome for a board wargame.) And the Religion system from Civ 4 was a step in that direction. I think what they found, however, was that as soon as they introduced Religion, it added a whole series of complications and new issues. That may have been unwelcome--but that's how history works. Everything is connected, and getting an understanding of how it all works together is an iterative process, which is why it's taken decades for wargame designers to get a handle on the complexities of warfare (even as they have discovered that it doesn't necessarily take complex systems to do so.)

Again, Gameplay vs. Realism. Take a recognizable monument, give it a big ability, and there's your Wonders. Civ isn't designed to engender scholarly discussion on the Pyramids; it's designed to be fun.

But history doesn't have to be a "scholarly discussion"--can't history itself actually be fun?

One more example: the critical weakness of Civ from the very start, which it has never addressed, is in its premise: "Build a Civilization that Stands the Test of Time!" The rich irony, of course, is that no civilization stands the test of time. But at some point, a design decision was made, that having a game where civilizations actually fared their historic fate wouldn't be "fun", so anything that would contribute to the downfall of a civilization (other than conquest by one's enemies) was removed from the game.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Rhye's mod handles the downfall of civilizations reasonably well, and wonder of wonders: it's actually fun to play. Why can't core Civ gameplay have that philosophy: start with history, and trust that it will be fun?

Trade's very hard to model well.

And other than EU (which as I noted has its own problems), Civ is pretty much the only game in town. If they can't model trade, nobody will.

Tiberias, try going here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377647
You will be able to take your part in making the game more realistic.

I really wish you (and people in this thread) luck and hope it all end in something more or less playable.

But from gameplay design point of view I'm currently happy with unmodded version.

But from gameplay design point of view I'm currently happy with unmodded version.

Yep.

It's odd to me that the OP claims to be a long time civ lover and lover of similar games then complains about just about every element that makes civ the *game* that it is (with all the other games being pretty much the same)...boggles the mind.

Civ 5 is just doing some things differently and IMO, better. If all you want is an improved Civ IV just stick with Civ IV and mods that keep the game fresh.

Amass sufficient resources to get a tech lead and then build a military to take over the world is pretty much how it worked in history. Rome, conquest of America, even WWII (where Germany eventually failed because they hadn't out-teched the others enough and because they couldn't match the Sovjets' production capabilities).

But that's simply not true. History is replete with examples of civilizations that prospered but that were small in population: the early Greeks, the early Roman Republic, and the Mongols are all perfect examples (and I would argue that the technological differences were not huge; the Greeks and Romans were effectively on par with their neighbors, and the Mongols were actually far behind.) Big sprawling empires with huge hosts of troops and advanced technologies did not do as well as you would expect; in fact, there are many instances of such empires being defeated by much smaller foes (e.g., Persia being conquered by Alexander the Great's much smaller forces.)

And then there are the real outliers, such as the Spanish conquest of the Americas (the notion that superior technology allowed them to carry out the conquest vastly overstates the impact of that technology; given how few forces were under Spanish command--only a few hundred commanded by Cortes--the natives should have easily overrun them despite the technological difference.) But that's all a mystery to simplistic systems that only look at the numbers and at technology.

Unfortunately, those outliers, and the many examples that run contrary to the conventional wisdom, are the events that defined history. How can you have a game with a historic theme unless it is capable of capturing the fundamental events that define history?

Also, in Civ4 it was very possible to achieve a cultural victory without going to war, so there was some diversity in strategies. Since Civ5 makes the diplomatic victory dependent on city states, it is likely that it'll be achievable without excessive warmongering as well, so there are more options than the boring one you describe.

Yes, but in multi-player, which strategy do you think will succeed: the "make friends with the little guys" strategy, or the time-tested Five Swordsman Rush(tm)? The other options are there, but they aren't compelling; they (like the old one-city challenge) have always amounted to playing with one arm tied behind your back, just because it's more interesting to have an arm tied behind your back.

I guess I find it interesting that you object to the bonuses given by the wonders. What would you suggest the pyramids give? How and why would those be different from the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (probably added in expansion as usual) and the Taj Mahal?

Wonders, generally, really weren't very useful. Should every wonder just produce culture and happiness and end it there? I mean I've seen Stonehenge, Notre Dame, The Great Wall, Chichen Itza, Machu Picchu, The Sistine Chapel, Forbidden City, Big Ben, Pentagon, Statue of Liberty and the Louvre and NOT ONE OF THEM gave me hammers or commerce... and most of them had dubious scientific contributions as well.

@OP

So your argument is that Civ 5 is to similar to previous civ's that you've played and enjoyed. And that's a bad thing. Right whatever.

But that's simply not true. History is replete with examples of civilizations that prospered but that were small in population: the early Greeks, the early Roman Republic, and the Mongols are all perfect examples (and I would argue that the technological differences were not huge; the Greeks and Romans were effectively on par with their neighbors, and the Mongols were actually far behind.) Big sprawling empires with huge hosts of troops and advanced technologies did not do as well as you would expect; in fact, there are many instances of such empires being defeated by much smaller foes (e.g., Persia being conquered by Alexander the Great's much smaller forces.)

And then there are the real outliers, such as the Spanish conquest of the Americas (the notion that superior technology allowed them to carry out the conquest vastly overstates the impact of that technology; given how few forces were under Spanish command--only a few hundred commanded by Cortes--the natives should have easily overrun them despite the technological difference.) But that's all a mystery to simplistic systems that only look at the numbers and at technology.

Unfortunately, those outliers, and the many examples that run contrary to the conventional wisdom, are the events that defined history. How can you have a game with a historic theme unless it is capable of capturing the fundamental events that define history?

Yes, but in multi-player, which strategy do you think will succeed: the "make friends with the little guys" strategy, or the time-tested Five Swordsman Rush(tm)? The other options are there, but they aren't compelling; they (like the old one-city challenge) have always amounted to playing with one arm tied behind your back, just because it's more interesting to have an arm tied behind your back.

The Spanish had formed a large alliance with the Aztec's disgruntled neighbours. The numbers weren't as lopsided as many people think.

This is what I'm looking forward to the most. It's not unrealistic. Just think of each unit as representing an army or at least a group of units.

In a game where units are 6 times larger than a city, i don't really see realism as a genuine reason not to enjoy civ 5, if you enjoyed previous civs.

Note how I had changed "amass land and population" to "amass sufficient resources"? If, like in the case of the mongols, you can count on almost every male to fight, you don't need as much population. Also, Gengis Khan and his sons didn't just charge in naked on their horsebacks when they turned west. They brought with them the best of Chinese siege technology, they used superior military tactics (which I would consider advanced knowledge as well), and military intelligence (which could be modeled by having invisible units to scout out enemy positions.

Romans, for example, were also technically advanced compared to most of their neighbors. Body armor and the pilum (an amazingly versatile weapon) alone made them superior to the gallic tribes. If you put superior military tradition (a tech in Civ4!) on top of that, it is clear why Caesar was going to be victorious. As another example: Rome revolutionized naval warfare by building ships made for boarding instead of ramming.

Finally, Alexander wasn't that outmatched against the Persians. Of course it looks better if you can claim that your force of 40k destroyed an army of more than twice that size, but more recent estimates for the size of the persian army go as low as 25k.

Obviously, we could now argue about the exact definition of technology, and how much gifted leaders matter, but at least Civ5 allows you to increase your military strength through social policies, which somewhat models the militaristic bent of e.g. the mongolian society.

Going for a cultural victory doesn't mean you don't have to ever build a single military unit. Against novice players I absolutely want to crush I'd probably go for an early rush, but any more advanced player will be prepared. In fact, Civ5 with 1upt and ZOC might even make it easier to go for cultural victory in multiplayer, because you only have to defend a few choke points well and then you can spend the rest of your resources to unlock social policies.

Except where it's not similar, in which case it's also a bad thing. :crazyeye:

no one example of poor realism has just the same desirabiltity as another.

If you can deal with giant units and unrealistic time scaling, then you can deal with a GDR or 1upt.

Top Bottom