Civ 7 foreign influence idea

DeckerdJames

Warlord
I don't know if they will use policy cards in Civ 7, so this idea might not be relevant.

Suppose every government type had policy slots that foreign powers could compete to control. Some kind of currency like diplomatic favor points might be spent to gain control of a slot or the control for the slots could be some new kind of game. Some governments are more influenced by foreign powers than other types, so each government may have more or less slots available depending on its government type.

That might create an opportunity to tie in the dictation of foreign policy into peace treaties.

You mean if there is 3 tier 1 government types, if 7 civilizations struggle for the control of 2 of them, the last one could have all its government policy cards slots ?
I don’t know how it would look in Civ 7, but for the sake of clarification, let me explain how it would look in Civ 6.

Suppose a 5th row of policy card slots were to be added under the wildcards row. Those slots are not controlled by the civilization leader or player, but those slots are foreign policies/influence cards. Other civilizations compete to gain control of these slots and when they do control them, they can put in a card from a new deck of foreign policy/influence cards. Civilizations earn these cards as they go through the tech tree.

It is a rough idea and I have not given any thought to what kind of cards would be available or what they would affect. I just want to share any new ideas here just to add to the million ideas that the developers of Civ 7 probably already have.

I suppose you could call the cards diplomatic cards or diplomacy cards except they are from foreign civilizations. The system would give you a new way to influence foreign governments in some way. The system of useable cards or slots could depend on your diplomatic relationship, such as being an ally or not and on how compatible one government type is with another. There could be other factors as well that change what cards are useable on a foreign power.

Last edited:
For me it's always the same problem as long as competition between civs is involved : in Deity, you probably would have to forget about it, except by accident. Another example I have about that is the annoying frontier wars of Civ4. In upper difficulty levels, you were screwd whatever you do. (except razing 4 cities for keeping one)

Monarchies, republics, and democracies could all easily be seen as more open to foreign influence. Perhaps alliances could also allow a parallel action. In terms of speaking to a degree of influence that does not exist in Civ VI diplomacy, it would be interesting to see what policies or accompanying mechanics would help integrate the idea.

Monarchies, republics, and democracies could all easily be seen as more open to foreign influence. Perhaps alliances could also allow a parallel action. In terms of speaking to a degree of influence that does not exist in Civ VI diplomacy, it would be interesting to see what policies or accompanying mechanics would help integrate the idea.
Yeah! The idea of a parallel action is great! How would that work, I wonder.

What if you have a trading screen that is similar in nature to the trading menu in Civ 6, which we now use to buy things like silk or spices for gold, except this new trading/bargaining screen is used between allies only. You can trade military units. You can offer a parallel project such as you invented. You would designate a city or cities to a project for a specific length of time to produce a result. You could offer lump sums of gold for something. Other ideas can be invented. The result could be researching a technology or producing something else, like a space station project.

What if you could open a bargaining screen like that with three or four allies at once and the AI were programmed to make offers and counter offers. So you would offer a proposal (or they would) and if you didn't like it, you hit a "counter offer" button. You make whatever offer you want. Then they can counter offer you again and that repeats until you hit the "exit" button.

I appreciate the idea of Allies in terms of "realism" but I think it's kind of anti-gameplay. At least in its current form, you just buy off all the AIs and the world turns into this endless fantastical peace paradise.

At the root of the game, you're all supposed to be rivals, and at the end of the game only one Civilisation is considered the greatest of all time for meeting their Victory condition & right?

This is what sparks the interesting aspects of Civ that pushes players to grab any advantage over one another.

If players could just Ally and trade everything, would defeat the point of the whole game.
Although, I would enjoy more options for diplomacy! Don't get me wrong

As for the main topic, I think players would probably not enjoy having their Government policies played with remotely, would be more frustrating than interesting, especially if there's some kind of negative options available.
And "diplomatic currency" is even more shoehorned VI stuff that kind of makes no logical sense?

So you're telling me I could farm diplomatic currency then starting putting horsehockey policies in everyone's governments? But I'm more diplomatically immune because I have this Diplo currency? I feel like this is all very antithetical to the design of the game.

But I'm getting off topic, I realise I sound like a negative Nancy 😞

Top Bottom