civ 7 idea - Additive Zone of Control

DeckerdJames

Warlord
As units become adjacent their ZOC adds together enough to grow to the next ring in a similar way that borders grow, except that the ZOC grows to hexes with more military importance. If you have a big enough army, maybe it can even ZOC three rings out.

Good? Bad? No idea. It could be cool with my idea about military units being set to have an automatic response to enemy units entering their ZOC. The end result could be that you can set up a defensive force and it will largely be able to target effectively with minimal player intervention. So the player considers a unit placement strategy and puts that into effect. After that you can just let it hold ground on its own.

Secondly, what if your civilization borders can somehow tie into military unit ZOC so that if you place an army on your border, the border could encompass the ZOC too and if your borders are closed then you can not pass through the ZOC at all without fighting though. Maybe military ZOC can obey the rules of open borders even when away from your cities, so that military units can not pass through a military ZOC without open borders. (unless they are on a different plane such as in the air or space). If you want to pass through ZOC for exploration or other purposes when the borders are closed you need civilian units or spies. Explorers can be civilians and Recon units can be military units.

Last edited:
One thing I would like to bring back is what we had in Civ III. In Civ III any land not occupied by another Civ was fair game to be settled. Pus we had the function of settling cities in our own territory.
One idea I have is to have a portion of a city population form towns. Then have those town evolve with population growth. Then become cities themselves. Thus another way to expand Civilizations

Top Bottom