Civ 7 idea - Can place future buildings into the build queue

DeckerdJames

Warlord
We put items into the build queue and when it is the item's turn to start building, if it isn't available or its prerequisites are not met yet, it stays greyed out at the top of the list and the next item builds if it is available. If item 2 isn't available yet then item 1 and 2 stay greyed out and at the top of the list. As soon as a future item becomes available it becomes ungrayed in the list and it starts to build. Once complete it is removed from its place in the build queue. It always suspends (or asks if you want to suspend) something that is building if something earlier in the queue becomes available to build.

The list of things to build which are not available could be partitioned into a separate section from things that are available.

This would allow the player to plan the whole city build order through all the eras. It will be used less by new players, but more experienced players that already know what they want to build the city into could plan the city out through many, many turns. A longer queue would be needed but it could be an option. "Scrollable build queue?" (or there could always be a button to open a more advanced build queue "popup window" since a scrollable list might be too hard to manipulate when it has many items) If you mouse over a greyed out item, red text in tooltip says why it isn't building. Example, you have a greyed out barracks building at position 1. You mouse over and the tooltip includes red text "No encampment".

Last edited:
I love this idea, even in the short term. In 2 turns, I will finish a tech that lets me build better units. My current top build item is a building that will finish in 5 turns, but I would like to queue up the about-to-be-enabled units. That way, I can focus my attention on other cities, or on the war already underway, and this city will start building the right things without requiring me to come back after the tech is done.

This would also help with projects towards the current version of the Science/Space victory. Put the project in the queue now, while it's top-of-mind, so that it will start as soon as the pre-reqs are met.

Mapping out a city's builds well into the future is cool; mapping out even the next 2 or 3 builds, as techs are finished would be very useful.

I love this idea, even in the short term. In 2 turns, I will finish a tech that lets me build better units. My current top build item is a building that will finish in 5 turns, but I would like to queue up the about-to-be-enabled units. That way, I can focus my attention on other cities, or on the war already underway, and this city will start building the right things without requiring me to come back after the tech is done.

This would also help with projects towards the current version of the Science/Space victory. Put the project in the queue now, while it's top-of-mind, so that it will start as soon as the pre-reqs are met.

Mapping out a city's builds well into the future is cool; mapping out even the next 2 or 3 builds, as techs are finished would be very useful.
There are so many things to remember that better city planning would really help. Often my strategy is better than my memory. City and empire planning and building is the heart of the game, imho.

Top Bottom