CIV Autopilot?

gorf37

Warlord
Bear with me, if you will...

It took me a while to figure out that it was the case, but military conquest seems to me to be one the most effective way to victory. Sure, tech advantages can be built with certain strategies and gambits during the various eras, but once that advantage is built, it's almost always easier to build-up an army and snatch some land, rather than continuing to tech ahead and build infrastructure. Inevitably, if you don't make the AI pay by taking their land, they'll trade techs back and forth until they're catching right up to you.

The problem for me is, due to a lack of playing time and a somewhat crappy computer, it takes forever to wage war, especially modern war. Too long. I get my build-up all done, arrange my cavalry, rifles and cannons at the border, then decide, "Nah...I'll just call it a win and start a new one."

I just wish there was a way to turn my powerful civilization over to the computer, let it run for 20 mins, then collect my 'auto-victory'.

There, I said it, I know it's dumb, but hopefully someone shares my dumb sentiment...

There IS an AI autoplay mod, but you can also increase your own physical play speed using hotkeys/waypoints. The guide is still in my sig.

There IS an AI autoplay mod, but you can also increase your own physical play speed using hotkeys/waypoints. The guide is still in my sig.

Heh. That mod could be interesting to try just for giggles. Might be fun to start a game, let the AI run the civilization for a hundred turns or so, and then see if I could lift my way out of the weeds.

So you like to prepare everything for a war and then just stop the game? Not attack and take a few cities, pushing on until you tire of it or you run out of momentum?! Not, I'm a builder so I don't want to do all the work of preparing for a war? There must be a name for that condition, I love the idea of war, but actually doing it?, not so much.

lol, I did go ahead and finish my game. Took me about an hour and a half to kill Joao's 10 cities, then DeGaulle's 8, then a couple from Boudica.

Game time: 7 hours (standard size, lakes map, regular speed)

Guess it's time to re-read TMIT's guide. If 7 hours became 5 or 4, that'd be awesome!

Alright, I think my top 3 speed improving goals will be:

1) Uninstall BUG - Obviously I love having the features, but when it come to manipulating stacks, waiting for city screens to open, etc, that split second delay is annoying, adds up over time, and causes errors with stack selection, especially when units are automatically grouping in a way I don't want.

2) Worker Hotkeys - Hopefully they're the same on a mac. Is there a comprehensive directory hiding somewhere? I remember seeing a hint about a hotkey combo that allows selecting all damaged units of a certain type. That would help alot!

3) Build Queues - I have gotten into using them during military build-ups and when capturing AI cities. Time to start using them earlier in the game.

lol, I did go ahead and finish my game. Took me about an hour and a half to kill Joao's 10 cities, then DeGaulle's 8, then a couple from Boudica.

Game time: 7 hours (standard size, lakes map, regular speed)

Guess it's time to re-read TMIT's guide. If 7 hours became 5 or 4, that'd be awesome!

Woah it doesn't even take me that long to do a Marathon game.

Woah it doesn't even take me that long to do a Marathon game.

Normal maps yeah. Play smaller maps, I always play huge with a 40 civs mod so my games take FOREVER and have gigantic stacks lol.

Also make sure all your graphics are turned down and do quick combats and only show one unit etc. Other stuff to speed up your computer.

Another great trick is once you get to an era where you're building a lot and won't grab a ton of new buildings via tech any time soon queue up 4,5,6 buildings in your cities. Makes turns fly by. Makes going for space victories insanely quicker. Just make sure if you suddenly research ecology and want recycling plants for example to go back in and change your build queues.

Top Bottom