Civ Choice?!

GandalfTheGrey

Chieftain
Hello everybody, i'm new on this forum here..!

I've playing some games Civ III; with Germans, Americans; i don't think they're good because there units have a late game advantage and other countries can then be already very strong..

so i thinking wich civ i will choose,

I like the French and the English, they have units on the right time.. but a country with a earlier good unit can try to rush..

Who helps me out?

you can suggest a other civ to :egypt:

I think essentially it depends on your playing style. If you like to expand, pick one with expansionist. If you like to fight, pick one with militarist. Etc. Also see which UU will help you most in your game style.
After that, it's all dependent on luck and geography and of coz your skill. ;)

Originally posted by GandalfTheGrey
...... you can suggest a other civ to [play]

Gandalf --

After you've played enough to feel ready for designing a custom Civ, you ought to design some Middle Earth civilizations (and possibly a scenario!).

A topic for another thread, probably... :viking:

Originally posted by SKM
I think essentially it depends on your playing style. If you like to expand, pick one with expansionist. If you like to fight, pick one with militarist. Etc. Also see which UU will help you most in your game style.
After that, it's all dependent on luck and geography and of coz your skill. ;)

I think the Greeks have a good combo (commercial, scientific) but the hoplite is useful in a early game, but later on other units will take over the battlefield..

I like the French and the English, they have units on the right time

Out of experience i can say that the french special unit sucks. They get obsolete right after you got them and they are useless anyway.

And the English unit i even worse. Totally useless since you get ironclads right after you got them. They can only be partially usefull if you dont got any coal to power your ironclads but otherwise they are useless.

The best nations to me is either some really ancient civ (to get that early advantage) or the americans (their special unit last forever (a bug?) and they get their golden age at the time of the space race= easy win)

From what I have seen of my chinese civ thus far, I must admit that being a military civ helps as almost all of my units on the front is an elite unit. Other than that, I dont build barracks and other military improvements often enough to justify the Militaristic advantage.

I had a rough time trying to take cities early on in the game without my CSA, and when I got my riders my neighbors the indians countered with War Elephants of his own, through luck I obtained a great leader which helped me build an army of riders to take down my neighbors... I suppose this is probably the time Chinese comes into it's own.

Chinese comes with the cool teal color :)

ChCubed are you a Chinese!I am one!Chinese civ rocks !
Military= Superpower in the game!
Industrious=Speedy building and creation!Building nuke should be fast I guess

Damn Firaxis they write chinese rider as 4/4/3 not it is 4/3/3 anyway it is a great unit!Chinese are better than Germany in the sense that Industrious is better than Scientific!
Long Live China!

Yep, I was quite disappointed to find out that my beloved riders do not defend at a 4 along with that the required for our riders isn't a requirement to advance into the next era. However my riders were much more superior to those War Elephants of my Indian neighbor. The thing about riders is that they are the only unit in the game for almost an whole era with 3 movement, which means that your riders' casualty is minimal, coupled with a few well positioned barrax, Chinese can dominate the game on the ground until Calvaries comes around at the end of the medevil era.

So dispite of the error on the part of firaxis, I think Chinese Riders still dominates through that period of time.

Only problem I have with Chinese is that they have Mao as their leader ... where was Mao when the Tang Dynasty owned most of Asia?

Yeah!The Chinese leader should be Tang Taizong ,Han Wu Di or Zhu YanZhang !They are the greatest leader these dynasties.I would choose Han Wu Di as the Chinese leader if possible!

If you wanna go for an early crushing blow to rival civs go for the Japanese. The Religous Civs are great for culture and keeping happy (especially when changing governments) and they are Militaristic..hee hee. The BEST thing is the Samurai! They replace the knights. They have 4 attack 4 Defense and 2 Movement. So, you dont have to create slow pikemen for your army. Just get a bunch of these guys and start the onsalught. It is like mobile armor. You can swarm a rival real fast and knock them out and defend those cities right quick.

I also am having some luck with the Japanese. Religious is a better civ trait than I'd thought it would be, and Industrious is not as good as I guessed. Something about absolutely having to have a Temple just to get your full city radius....

The samurai sounds good and I hope to build one shortly. I've got iron...I have not played the Chinese yet, but can we confirm for sure its stats? The manual gives the Rider as 2.2.2 needing only Horses....doesn't sound like a match for much.

Agni

I originally chose the Greeks, figuring that the commercial attribute would be key to dealing w/corruption and waste. Then I decided that corruption/waste is so insane that commercial really didn't matter. So I went with the Babylonians, who are Religious/Scientific. The special unit - Bowmen (2.2.1) isn't anything to write home about and doesn't upgrade, but it's serviceable enough. The Babs get bonuses on production of temples, cathedrals, libraries and universities. Now THAT is something to write home about. Combine that with only 1 turn of disorder between gov'ts and an extra tech advance per Age and they're pretty damn solid. Once you've hit the limit of peaceful expansion, the build bonuses mean that your cities develop quickly - and all of those buildings provide TONS of culture, which is always a good thing. Think about it, CIV has always been about Tech, and now they've added Culture. Therefore, a civilization w/both Tech and Culture bonuses figures to be pretty good, no?

-Arrian

p.s. I've played 3 games w/the Babs now (1 warlord, 2 Regent) and LOVE them. I tend to be a peaceful builder type (until I find out that the Persians have all the coal or somesuch thing), and they fit my style nicely.

Riders are 4.3.3 over the standard knight of 4.3.2... even though the riders didn't get any defensive bonus, they are still the only unit having 3 movement points during pretty much the whole age. I have never really have any problems with acquiring the horse and iron for the knight.... this is also the perfect time to get your civilization into golden age.

I agree with you in terms of finding out that industrious isn't as nice as I first thought. I have tried babylonians and find that the only thing bugging me about them is the red colored civilization that makes your population count impossible to read once your food surplus isn't there anymore. I won my game easily with babylonians and a lot of that is due to the 50% reduction in building costs of cultural improvements such as the library and temples.

No one fancy the Egyptians?

They are good(if not the best) for a cultural victory.

Got the industrious(best trait) + religious so temples and stuff got bulid quickly which is important as a age old temple is worth more culture points than a modern wonder.

Having temples and such helps to cut down corruptions somewhat effectively with the FP.

I also noticed that AI gives you a much better deal if they are in awe of you culturally, so it also allows good trades to keep up with the tech race.

But War chariot are rather useless, especially Egyptians tends to start very near to the Greeks (damm those hoplites!) and the Romans (Legionary). All defence 3 units.....

In short, bad for war but good for peace.

This forum is great read....very useful info and mods!
wert

I started a new game recently - Large Map, Continents, 80% water, Normal/Normal for temperature and wetness, 5 billion yrs, 8 civs.

I chose the Iroquois. I chose a larger map w/8 civs in order to try out the whole expansionist thing, figuring even with 80% water I'd have room to do so. Wrong. The map generator (which I think is soooo much better than CIV II) came up with 3 continents. 1 large, 1 medium, 1 tiny. On the large: Me, Aztecs, Zulu, Babylonians, Americans, Persians. On the medium: English. On the small: French.

I was boxed in right away, so I decided to make like Ghengis Khan and use an early blitz w/Mounted Warriors. THOSE THINGS ROCK! The fact that the Iroquois are purple, like the Mongols in CIV II, added to the experience.

I annihilated the Aztecs, crippled the Zulu (who later made the mistake of getting into a war with my friends, the Americans. I gave Abe a right of passage, waited for his vanguard to soften up the best Zulu cities and then attacked and took them. Abe got one city out of the war :)), and with the indescriminate sacrificing of my citizens to the gods of production (rushbuilding under despotism), I had solid culture. I captured the Great Library from the Aztecs, which evened me up in terms of tech, and once I went to Republic I was bigger&stronger than anyone else. It is now 1490, my rail net is mostly complete, the Hoover Dam is under construction, and I just found out that I have ALL of the oil! NINE oil resources in my territory. The Babylonians, after I beat up on them for a bit (for coal... I captured 1 city, razed 3, and build 2 new ones to push back the border), have finally wised up and have a Protection Pack w/the Persians. I may take them down anyway... once I have tanks.

Anyway, the expansionist thing didn't help me, really. The scout does help with early exploration, but the huts I popped gave me either 25 gold or their lovely maps, which are useless if you have a scout to begin with. The key for me was definitely the special unit. 3-1-2, available w/horseback riding, makes it one of the (if not THE) best UU's in the game. Sure, the legion is more balanced, but it has only 1 move and requires iron... same thing w/immortals, although at least they get the 4 attack. Mobile units are incredibly useful in CIV III, as the only thing that can really kill them is another mobile unit. Getting beat up? No problem - run away.

I'd say that the Iroquios are pretty solid, especially if you like fighting early on, and would be absolutely hardcore if they were militaristic (or any other attribute, really) rather than expansionistic.

-Arrian

Japs are very interesting (in a good way). Here's the deal: they start with Wheel, which means Horses are visible from the get-go. So if you're lucky and find horses really early--Chariot rush! You're Militaristic, which lends well to that. And chariots eventually upgrade to Samurai. Which leads to the other interesting thing: Samurai (i.e. unique Knights) don't need Horses! So, you might get lucky and find horses really early on--but if you don't, it's not going to kill you.

Now, their Golden Age: Japs are militaristic & religious, unique unit Samurai. The first militaristic Wonder: Great Wall. You don't need it. Second militaristic Wonder: Sun Tzu. Occurs at the same time as Samurai. So your Golden Age occurs in the early Middle Ages, which I feel is
optimal timing. You get Sun Tzu, Samurai, and Golden Age at the same time. Crank out the vet Samurais and steamroll everyone you can.

Seems to me the Japs are a leg up on most everybody clear until the late Middle Ages.

Originally posted by tetley
So if you're lucky and find horses really early--Chariot rush! You're Militaristic, which lends well to that.

Why not just play as the Aztecs? They are militaristic and has their special UU: the Jaguar Warrior, with 1/1/2, exactly the same stats as the Chariot. They are also cheaper to make than Chariots, and you don't have to worry about obtaining horses.

Originally posted by WarandPeace

Why not just play as the Aztecs? They are militaristic and has their special UU: the Jaguar Warrior, with 1/1/2, exactly the same stats as the Chariot. They are also cheaper to make than Chariots, and you don't have to worry about obtaining horses.

That's all true, but the Jaguar Warrior is an early game UU. Compared with most other Civs, the Japanese can get a jump on building Chariots, giving them an advantage in the early game, and then still have their Samurai UU for later in the game.

Top Bottom