Civ Design Challenge III - Alternate History

Must say that a third colonisation scenario in a row is not quite to my liking but I'll see what I can do anyway! Now, how can I twist this scenario into something totally silly and not at all what its asking me to do...

Oh! I did not realize that... hopefully Tarsiciosm's scenarios is not related to colonization. If anybody has an especially good idea that would be a fun scenario, please share it!

I do have one but was waiting until I'd won a round. BTW, when does submission time end?

5 days or 5 entries, whichever happens last.

Come to this thread.

"Hmm, I didn't got any vote, as expected. New challenge..., well it is mildly interesting. Let's wikipedia it, as usual"

5 minutes next and didn't found any information about them.

"...I'm doomed :("

EDIT : Found it at last, Keyword is "Sagallo". Horribly short-lived for anything that suppose to last in human perspective..

So I wrote a 3 page story about Sagallo becoming a refugee for the Romanov dynasty and then becoming Fascist, only to realize that I couldn't think of anything for a design. I'm just gonna post the story anyway so I don't feel like I wasted 2 hours of my life:

Spoiler :
In this timeline, Russia would send a much larger military force under Nikolay Ivanovitch Achinov to French Somaliland. They arrived at the Gulf of Tadjoura, named the region Sagallo, and built a fort named New Moscow. Upon consolidating control of the region, they invade French Somaliland and are successful in the war as France was taken off guard and decided to waging a full scale war against Russia wasn't worth it.

The war ended in 1890 and gave the Russian colonists ample amount of time to consolidate power in their gains before the Italian invasion of Ethiopia. The Italian fiasco worsened as the Russian invade Italian Eritrea after the Battle of Adwa. King Menelik II of Ethiopia supports the Russian invasion and assists in pushing the Italians out of the Red Sea. The Russo-Italian colonial war ends in 1897 with Russia annexing all of Eritrea.

At this point, Russia had angered several European nations for its repeated colonial wars and had become diplomatically isolated from Western Europe. Russia would establish peaceful relations with Ethiopia to protect against possible Italian retribution, and built railroads linking Addis Ababa to New Moscow and Djibouti, the two largest cities of Sagallo. The Russian Empire would also continue to have relations with the Slavic nations of the Balkan peninsula, particularly Serbia.

Russia would remain at peace until 1905 when the Russo-Japanese war carried on as it did IRL and ended with a Russia defeat. To make up for losses in Asia, Nicholas II decide to turn his attention towards the decaying Ottoman Empire. With the grow of Sagallo, passage through the Dardanelles became more important to Russian foreign policy. However, as Russia had no powerful allies they could not risk invading the Ottoman Empire and drawing the ire of Germany and Austria-Hungary as well. Instead, they would support the Slavic countries in the First Balkan War, starting in 1912, with financial assistance.

After the successful war, the Balkan League pushed for a second war against the Ottomans. Nicholas II, fearing an attempt by one of the nations to occupy Eastern Thrace, refused to support the league and cut off relations with Serbia, the main advocate for further wars. France, still seeking vengeance for both the Franco-Prussian War and the loss of French Somaliland, allies with Serbia and the Balkan League, seeing an opportunity to take back Alsace-Lorrain from Germany and remove Russian influence from Eastern Europe.

The First World War would start in 1914 with the Balkan League declaring war on the Ottomans, triggering the series of alliances that would lead to the war's participants being the same as IRL, except for Russia. However, in 1916 the British Gallipoli campaign was turning in favor of the Turks. Britain pleaded Russia for assistance in the war and promised Russia control of the Dardanelles after an Entente victory. Russia accepted and sent a large force to Gallipoli, turning the tide of battle and killing Mustafa Kemal in the process. The campaign would continue towards the East Thrace and Istanbul where Britain and Russia would emerge successful.

However, Russia would have less success in the Eastern Front against Germany and Austria-Hungary. Still technologically and economically backwards, the Russians would suffer several losses. They would be saved be saved from complete military defeat though, as Germany would suffer as it did in 1918. The Treaty of Versailles would give Russia control of Bosphorus Strait and its surrounding territories, making travel through the Mediterranean easier.
Despite these victories, Russia would continue to suffer. The war had ravaged their western front, economy, and manpower reserves. Nicholas II was becoming increasingly unpopular and the situation worsened after a famine in 1919. Ethnic tensions also became worse, with minorities receiving less food than Russians during the famine, leading to greater discontent. Widespread demonstrations against the Russian government become common starting in 1919 and would evolve into bloodshed in January 1920 when Nicholas II ordered Russian soldiers to fire upon Polish separatists. This would result in a massive Polish rebellion, which would inspire other ethnic groups in the empire to start their own rebellions.

The largest of these rebellions would be the Turkish War of Independence, starting in May 1920. As Mustafa Kemal had been killed during Gallipoli, the rebellion was led by radical Islamic extremists and Ottoman nationalists. They would succeed in taking back Istanbul and other occupied parts of Turkey by 1922, establishing a new Turkish Caliphate. Other rebellions that would become successful were the ones led by the Poles, Ukrainians, Finns, Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians, Georgians, and Chechens.

By 1923, the Russian Empire had completely devolved into anarchy and civil war. Nicholas II had abdicated the throne, fleeing with his family to Sagallo, the only place in the Russian Empire that was not opposed to the monarchy because it was historically almost entirely autonomous. The Russian Civil War would be fought between many groups, the most important being the Communists and the Fascists. The Fascists were widely popular due to their fiery rhetoric and promises to restore Russia's borders and greatness. However, the Communists, led by Joseph Stalin as Vladimir Lenin was never able to escape exile in Switzerland, promised industrialization and a society of equality.
After three years of conflict, the Communist party succeeded in outmaneuvering its foes and took control of Russia. Joseph Stalin immediately began purging the country of Fascists, the majority of whom ended up in gulags or died. However, thousands of Fascists also escaped Soviet Russia. Their most popular destination was Sagallo, which was happy to harbor anyone who opposed the current government of Russia.

Since arriving in Sagallo, Nicholas II had been planning his possible return to the throne of Russia. He knew he would need a large amount of support to do so however. Nicholas viewed the Fascists as his best potential allies. They were extremely militant, extremely anti-Communist, and that fact that Fascism in Italy coexisted with a monarchy was also appealing. The Fascists, led by Konstantin Volkov, were given control of Sagallo's government by Nicholas II in 1927.

Sagallo was an unusually well developed region in Africa. The Russian Empire had spent a large amount of resources to build the region up and insure that it had a sizeable population for its size. Volkov began imitating his rivals Five Year Plan to increase the industrial power of Sagallo. However, he would need to acquire more resources and land for it to be effective. The Sagalloan government ultimately decided to invading Ethiopia was the best course of action. They also established an alliance with Mussolini's Italy and Germany's Nazi Party.
With the help of the Italians, Sagallo was able to conquer Ethiopia in a year and carry out their plan of modernization. When Hitler came to power in 1933, Germany also supplied Sagallo with aid, seeing them as vital in the upcoming war as they potentially take control of Egypt, and make British supply lines much longer. The Fascist African state would fully consolidate power and develop their industry by 1936, in time to join World War II in 1939.

Sagallo was initially very successfully in the war, defeating the British armies in Sudan. However, the further they marched up the Nile, the more difficult the war became. By November of 1940, Sagallo and Britain had become locked in a stalemate at Cairo. The battle would last for months and resulted in much bloodshed, but ultimately the Sagalloan army would be unable to defeat the British. The Sagalloan heartland would succumb to a two sided invasion from Sudan and Kenya in 1942. The Fascist government was abolished and Konstantin Volkov was captured by imperial authorities and executed. After the war ended, Ethiopia was given independence and Sagallo became a constitutional monarchy under the Romanov dynasty.

this may have been a dreadful mistake

stupidgrace and her stupid africa obsession

why not something simple?

stupid cow.

ffs scape you pretend youre smart but all you are is an obsessive. just die.

this may have been a dreadful mistake

stupidgrace and her stupid africa obsession

why not something simple?

stupid cow.

ffs scape you pretend youre smart but all you are is an obsessive. just die.

I really like the scenario, but I've been busy and haven't been able to submit a design yet.

I'm actually pretty familiarized with the scenario and could make something pretty realistic, but yeah, busy busy.

Submission time is sorta short for a design challenge that actually does take more time.

yeah im stupid busy rn sory guys

NaNoWriMo and tests are really slowing me down. It does seem super interesting, yet I haven't finished the story yet.

Like I said, take as long as you need. We'll keep going until we have at least five or six entries, regardless of how long it takes. I'm more interested in this generating excellent designs than being pernickety about timescale. =]

pos scapegrace monopolising the competition stupid little ingrate just die already jesus wept you couldnt run a bath your grubby gawky ugly little turd

Oh please. Your doing this so I want win, don't you?
:p:p:p

Lol sorry my English teacher didn't arrive at school so I got home an hour earlier :lol:

Also when everybody was saying they're busy with NaNoWriMo I thought it was some kind of anime series... du-doy

Also when everybody was saying they're busy with NaNoWriMo I thought it was some kind of anime series... du-doy

Well, I'm busy with anime as well but it wouldn't reach the point where I'd slow down on my modding that much.

Sod this for a lark.

CANCELLING THE CHALLENGE. WHOEVER IS NEXT, GO FOR IT. I SCREWED THIS UP QUITE COMPREHENSIVELY.

Actually, I was going to post it today.

Actually, I was going to post it today.

I'll let you post and then both you and Natan will get a honorary win. I think the problem with this scenario was that it was a little bit too specific. The next challenge will actually be really open.

Note to Tarsiciosm: I am going to flip your idea around so there is more room for creativity.

Top Bottom