CIV-DOS style SETTLER WAGON!!

heroes182

Rockstar
Settler Wagon 1.5

So I read Rabbit, White's tutorial on modeling using the nifty SceneViewer, and I knew right away what I had to do. Make a Settler Wagon out of assorted bits and pieces!

Lo and behold, I give you: THE SETTLER WAGON!!!

New on v1.5!
-Rabbit, White cleaned out the messy Art/Units/Wagon folder, and fixed a graphical glitch on the back wheels of the wagon. With the Art folder cleaned out, the file has lost 4/5 of it's size! (excited yet??)

I know that building such a contraption implies that your initial Settler already has knowledge of the Wheel, Animal Husbandry, and access to flax, cotton or wool, all of which sort of imply that they're not as unCIVilized as they'd want us to believe... However, I'm sure that if you're old enough to miss the original CIV, you'll find room in your heart for the Settler Wagon! :D

Two issues I'd like to resolve:
1- This project constitutes my entire knowledge of 3D modelling. For that reason, the Art/Units/Wagon folder is a horrific mess, containing remnants of all the models I modified to make this one (chariot, ancient farm and cattle resource). I'm sure that about 90% of those files are not required for this model to work, but I have no idea which 90%... If you've got any idea, could you please help me clean out that folder? -FIXED!
2- Again, my lack of experience rears it's ugly head... The unit is not animated, which annoys me quite a bit (having said that, it's quite funny to watch the cows glide around the map :p). Does anyone know how to make it animated?

The zip contains the art files, plus the bare basic XML so that the wagon is part of the Settler unit group. If you want to do anything fancier with it, be my guest! just remember to give credit :)

Wagons, wagons! get yer wagons while they're hot! ->Download<-

Very cool :D.

This is an oustanding unit, especially since it's all cut and pasted from other models/textures (if definitely doesn't look it!). Keep it up, we need more unit makers!

-Smitty

OMG this is the most hilarious (in a good way :)) thing I've ever seen! First of all, great work heroes :thumbsup:

I must say I never imagined that anyone would take the NIF viewer to such heights. When I saw the pic and started reading I figured you modeled the wagon and added the cows, but when I saw that you actually did all that by cutting and pasting pieces from other units my jaw almost hit the floor. :clap:

As for cleaning up the folder it's easy. You only need 5 files - chariot.nif, chariot_fx.nif, barn.dds, chariot_128.dds and cow.dds. I tested it and it ran and looked fine with only these.

Unfortunately you can't get the animations for cows to work (not as far as I know). For some reason mixing up resource models with unit models messes up the animations.

There is a mod in mod components forum called hungry hungry cities, in it the sheep and the pigs are added to the settlers and both work fine and animated, maybe you could look at that. However, I think it works there because the creator used XML to put the two together, not by modifying nifs.

Anyway, again great work man. :goodjob:

Rabbit said:
There is a mod in mod components forum called hungry hungry cities, in it the sheep and the pigs are added to the settlers and both work fine and animated, maybe you could look at that. However, I think it works there because the creator used XML to put the two together, not by modifying nifs.

Anyway, again great work man. :goodjob:

Rabbit you just spoke that to the creator of that mod!:D I guess he already knows of it, hehe.
Btw the animations there aren't working either as far as I know.

ha, thanks for the commentd everyone! :D
And thanks to Rabbit, White for shining his awesomeness on the mod and fixing a few things that I didn't know how to :)

I've just uploaded v1.5 for your settling pleasure, it's only like 1/5th the size of the original file because the Art folder has been cleaned up, so it should be a very fast download! g'waaaan, give it a try! You don't want your poor settlers to walk do you? they're only children! and I think the woman might be pregnant!! tut-tut...

Oh, yeah, HungryHungryCities was my fault as well, so I have heard of it :p
Alas, as Ploeper said, the animal's animations don't work there either, and I tried lots of ways to do it to no avail... Oh well, maybe the SDK will let us do that sort of thing.

Check the first post for download link and further info

This is incredible. I love this type of settler unit instead of 4 people carrying an entire settlement on their backs!

One suggestion (and not one I have a hope of being able to do myself)

Is to make this the settler unit produced after discovery of animal husbandray, the wheel, etc. Just code this to be the appearance of the settler model once those techs are discovered.

And personally, flying cows are funny.

Good work.

Im not sure that can be done... As far as I can tell, there's only one art switch for units, and that doesn't flip until the modern age...

Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose the Settler Wagon could be a "new unit" which obsoletes Settlers once those techs have been discovered... the only difference between the two would be graphical, of course. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, I might implement it later, thanks! :D

Yeah, that's how you would do it. If you make the old settler upgrade to this one you should be fine.

heroes182 said:
Oh, yeah, HungryHungryCities was my fault as well, so I have heard of it :p
LOL I guess I should've payed more attention to your sig, or just in general :crazyeye: and yeah, it would be cool to have the settler change looks like that, in fact, maybe there should be a modern version of it as well, not sure how it should look though...

Haha! I actually thought somebody made a new wagon settler because they didn't find this one. :)

They way it should be!

Because really, after the first city is set, the original settler is silly! This, is awesome!

Top Bottom