Civ III: Conquests Patch Fix Request

Cross-posted from the bug forum, this should be very easy to add and be most helpful during gameplay.

Description: When using Stealh Attack (in my case using the Silent Hunter in the Three Sisters intro) it shows a list of targets to attack, but it doesn't show the level or hitpoint stats of those units.
Steps to reproduce: I believe it is valid for any stealth attack on a stack of units.
Observed effect: See included image. Note it only gives the nams, no levels or stats.

Expected result: When you right-click on a stack, it shows the level (regular, veteran, ...) as well as the current hitpoint status (1/3, 4/4) of the units. Since the point of using stealth attack is to pick out a target of choice (preferably a hurt target), it would be most helpful - if not essential for the attack decision - to have the level and stat info in the stealth attack dialog, too. Now you have to richt-click before attacking, and then hope that the order is the same.

Well you could have one more xp level before veteran, but drafted should be lower than normal "green".

In the editor, where you have a list of units from which to choose who can be the recipient of a stealth attack, please add the choice "All." I've got near 800 units and can't scroll and read and click all of those names. Why couldn't a ninja attack any unit in the stack that it wanted to?

Originally posted by dog
In the editor, where you have a list of units from which to choose who can be the recipient of a stealth attack, please add the choice "All." I've got near 800 units and can't scroll and read and click all of those names. Why couldn't a ninja attack any unit in the stack that it wanted to?

Or use the common UI 'trick' of allowing you to click on one item, then SHIFT-click on another item so that all the items in between are selected (for example, windows explorer allows you to do this to select multiple files, most e-mail clients let you do this to select multiple messages, etc.)

1. In peace the boarders "must" be respected by the AI if no "access agreement" are given, or an new function that the player or AI has to "ask" before they can pass the boarder in peacetime.

2. More levels on railroad's.. unlimited movment direct they are built are to much, should only be able in "modern eras".

There are some absolutely great suggestions in this thread. Some things I would not have thought of but would add much to gameplay. I would like to add a couple of things of my own.

Colonies.

Most everyone complains about them and hardly ever use them. Well, my wife and I tend to use them now and again. One frustration is the uselessness of colonies overseas. If you would like to access resources on another continent (and not have to worry about building cities), it simply cannot be done.

This has been talked about before, but I'll bring it up again. It would be nice if Colonies built on the coast had some kind of port that would connect it to the rest of your nation --cities that have ports and are connected by road. This would make colonies much more valuable.

Another use for it, then, would be for a nation that has cities in the interior of a continent and would like easy access to connection to other civs by harbor without messing around with cities.

Another thing I find annoying is resources on tiny little islands. How can you obtain those resources? You must build a city on every one of them! How silly. Why not allow colonies to be built on the resource and have it automatically connect via water (if it's on the coast)? This would make much more sense to me.

Conversely, what about those cities that are on a small island surrounded by little, 1 square islands with resources. The resources are within the city radius, but you have no access to them because you can't make a road to it! How silly. There should be some mechanism to allow a city access to resources in its radius without a road. Somehow. I don't know the best way to do it, but it sure would be nice.

Anyway, that's my contribution.

Thanks,

CK

Swamps

I like the addition of the swamp terrain. In the game, I especially like terrain that can't be settled and is difficult to manipulate (like clearing jungles, etc.). I guess I like to see "nature" challenge man.

In that light, I was thinking of making swamps more challenging by making them allowed to be cleared only after the discovery of a certain advancement. "Engineering" comes early in the Middle Ages. This is a possibility. But, "Electricity" would be better in my opinion. Both are reasonable in terms of the nature of the advancement. Clearing large areas of swamp is an engineering challenge. Draining swamps would be easier with the advancement of large scale pumps and irrigation system that electricity would bring. Electricty also ties in with the ability to place irrigation without water sources.

Also -- I'm sure you thought of this -- what about Rice? Rice would be a natural for swamp areas and give you a reason to settle near a swamp. Rice is one of the world's major food sources. Swamps seem to occur in equatorial areas and are common with jungles. Jungles are terrible terrain for city growth. But a city near the equator with access to rice would have a chance to grow.

Originally posted by Piccanell
1. In peace the boarders "must" be respected by the AI if no "access agreement" are given, or an new function that the player or AI has to "ask" before they can pass the boarder in peacetime.

It may be too much for just a patch, but for a future expansion... I was thinking that there should be separate ROPs for land and sea. Either that or make the ROP land only and forget about having a sea ROP.

Also, we really need barbarians to upgrade by era. Really.

I'd greatly appreciate a new Preferences option: "City Growth Notification". Just a little popup (even the small kind that is over a city and doesn't need to be closed manually) that notifies me when a city grows to a new size.

This would greatly help when I'm micromanaging happiness and I need to see if a city will riot after it grows. This way, instead of havign to remember if a city is going to grow the next turn I can be notified...

This would make the game so much easier for me. :) Maybe there is a thread this belongs in, I don't know...

Sure there is. I just moved it there. ;) --Padma

Originally posted by cgannon64
I'd greatly appreciate a new Preferences option: "City Growth Notification". Just a little popup (even the small kind that is over a city and doesn't need to be closed manually) that notifies me when a city grows to a new size.

This would greatly help when I'm micromanaging happiness and I need to see if a city will riot after it grows. This way, instead of havign to remember if a city is going to grow the next turn I can be notified...

This would make the game so much easier for me. :) Maybe there is a thread this belongs in, I don't know...

-- snip --

It would also help to see when a city is starving due to growth. I know there are other ways, but it is too easy to miss for those of us that have bad eyes; or we have to go into the F1 screen every turn and search by food.

I do not think tile changes are possible in a patch. But the corruption horror and maybe a simple change here or there would be nice. It would have to be some kind of improvement and I agree doing something for the paratrooper would be doable-, i suggest that it should be able to attack pillage/fortify after it lands. Then at least u could have an option of landing a bunch of marines and maybe a tow with choppers, and parachute as many paratroops as airports allow and it would give one at least a chance to use them with effectiveness. Range is limited,
offensive punch is limited they should do something..but make them vulnerable to flak fighters and Sams. also chopper pick up after drop would be nice, maybe they have to take a turn to load tho.

Unit Animations:

Please allow us to specify more than one animation in the #ANIMNAME_PRTO section of the Pediaicons.txt.

For example:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Musketeer
Musketeer
Mousquetaires
Musketier

Primarily, as shown above, this would help us modders make mods compatible for those who have translated versions of the original Civ3 game.

It would also let us utilize the PTW 'extras' units without requiring players to download those units, if they don't have PtW.

In the extreme, the poor modem-users would be able to download mods without any animations if they feel they don't need the extra eye-candy. :)

also- any one tell me how stealth attack works? i have yet to see an action button for it and tried to use it with no succees with a sub. Is it in the epic game in C3C?

If you attack a stack of enemy ships with your sub, you should get a menue which target to pick out of that stack (=choose specific target you want to attack)...

Originally posted by Grille
If you attack a stack of enemy ships with your sub, you should get a menue which target to pick out of that stack (=choose specific target you want to attack)...

:confused: Does C3C already do that???

You should have the ability to set the nationality (not which civ it is owned by) of workers, settlers, and citizens in cities

The Dutch Swiss Mercenaries which replace the Pikeman are upgradable FROM the Musketman. Surely this should be the other way round.

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
Conversely, what about those cities that are on a small island surrounded by little, 1 square islands with resources. The resources are within the city radius, but you have no access to them because you can't make a road to it! How silly. There should be some mechanism to allow a city access to resources in its radius without a road. Somehow. I don't know the best way to do it, but it sure would be nice.

Well logically if you have a harbour, you can send boats to these islands. Since harbours allow you to work squares in your radius for more food and trade.

Top Bottom