Civ Illustrated #1 (Know Your Enemy)

Thanks for the reasearching.

Does this diplo modifier only affect the PVassalage or every other point of Diplo as well?

I think this hidden diplo modifier only affects peace vassalage.

Do normal rules apply to tech trading between vassals? Or do they, perhaps, always trade anything, as they do with their master?

Nobody knows how vassals trade with each other as far as I know. :dunno:
I would assume normal rules.

Yes, a vassal will always be willing to trade anything with their master. :D

This is even better than Friendly civs who will trade any tech except the ones that unlock space parts.
Space part techs will make the AI say (we'd rather win the game, thank you very much).
These techs are Superconductors, Genetics, Fiber Optics, Fusion, Satellites, Composites, and Ecology.

Interestingly, the AI will also say (we'd rather win the game, thank you very much) if the human tries to broker peace between a much larger AI (2.5 times as many land tiles as the human) and a 2nd AI at war with each other.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...very-much-question-about-ai-reasoning.627629/

Last edited:
Even if 2nd AI is 5 times as large as the human player?

Let me check.

Set up a game with WB. Louis is 3x my size and Gandhi 3x the size of Louis.

Just as is:

After gifting Louis a few MechInfs:

Oh!
Thanks djdazi180 for testing this, I was clearly wrong. :love:

The amount of land tiles needed for the player to broker a Cease Fire between 2 AI is way more complicated then I thought!

Check out this test game.
Spoiler :

Test #1:
Human 9 land tiles
Sitting Bull 27 land tiles
Huayna Capac 50 land tiles

When brokering a ceasefire between the stronger HC and weaker Sitting Bull, HC will sign a ceasefire.

Huayna Capac gets 51 land tiles and then he says "We'd rather win the game." :hmm:

Next,
Test #2:
Human 20 land tiles
Huayna Capac 51 land tiles

When brokering a ceasefire between the stronger HC and weaker Sitting Bull, HC still says "We'd rather win the game."

The human player gets 21 land tiles, and then Huayna Capac will sign a ceasefire with Sitting Bull. :hmm: :crazyeye:

I can't make any sense out of these numbers. :dunno:
The 2.5 times number of land tiles is not showing up in either of these tests.

Attachments

• peace brokering test 3.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Let me check.

Oh!
Thanks djdazi180 for testing this, I was clearly wrong. :love:

The amount of land tiles needed for the player to broker a Cease Fire between 2 AI is way more complicated then I thought!

Check out this test game.
Spoiler :

Test #1:
Human 9 land tiles
Huayna Capac 50 land tiles

When brokering a ceasefire between the stronger HC and weaker Sitting Bull, HC will sign a ceasefire.

Huayna Capac gets 51 land tiles and then he says "We'd rather win the game." :hmm:

Next,
Test #2:
Human 20 land tiles
Huayna Capac 51 land tiles

When brokering a ceasefire between the stronger HC and weaker Sitting Bull, HC still says "We'd rather win the game."

The human player gets 21 land tiles, and then Huayna Capac will sign a ceasefire with Sitting Bull. :hmm: :crazyeye:

I can't make any sense out of these numbers. :dunno:
The 2.5 times number of land tiles is not showing up in either of these tests.
@Kaitzilla
On test #2, 2.5*20=50 <51 & 2.5*21=52.5>51, so that agrees with brokerer needind atleast 1/2.5 of the bigger AIs land area. Test #1 is more confusing, maybe there's another rule about absolute power levels where brokerer's size is ignored if warring parties are close enough in power . Was there any difference between test 1 & 2 on soldier couts or land targets?

I'm not familiar with the language used in the code, but I may have found the reason:
int landRatio = ((getTotalLand(true) * 100) / std::max(20, GET_TEAM(eTeam).getTotalLand(true)));
If I'm right, the bolded part of the code returns either 20 or number of land tiles, whichever is bigger.

So in example#1 even when our land area is way smaller, value returned (20) is exactly 1/2.5 of Capac's land.

@Kaitzilla
On test #2, 2.5*20=50 <51 & 2.5*21=52.5>51, so that agrees with brokerer needind atleast 1/2.5 of the bigger AIs land area. Test #1 is more confusing, maybe there's another rule about absolute power levels where brokerer's size is ignored if warring parties are close enough in power . Was there any difference between test 1 & 2 on soldier couts or land targets?
I'm not familiar with the language used in the code, but I may have found the reason:
int landRatio = ((getTotalLand(true) * 100) / std::max(20, GET_TEAM(eTeam).getTotalLand(true)));
If I'm right, the bolded part of the code returns either 20 or number of land tiles, whichever is bigger.

So in example#1 even when our land area is way smaller, value returned (20) is exactly 1/2.5 of Capac's land.

Thanks for figuring this out Whisker. :goodjob:

Yes, for brokering Cease Fire between 2 AI, the player gets 20 land tiles minimum when calculating if the AI is too big to listen.
If the AI has more than 2.5 times the land tiles of the player, the AI won't listen and will say "We'd Rather Win the Game".

The stronger of the 2AI (Power/Soldiers) is the one who has to be bribed to end the war, and the resulting peace is a Cease Fire, not a 10 turn Peace Treaty.
So war could break out again the following turn.

Why would Peter open borders at furious? There were no wars and he had no land targets (other than myself).
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0348.JPG

And now I can bribe him on Boudica and Darius! What is that about:confused:
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0364.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0366.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0365.JPG

You have vassals. Peter's attitude towards you is the average of his attitude towards you and all of your vassals. So, if he's Furious with you, but Friendly with the Zulu and Byzantine, I believe that would average out to Pleased.

I forgot about that! That would explain a lot. I found another picture. My vassals are the five AI's at the bottom. Of course, quite a few things changed (3 more vassals and Justinian adopted a religion). Actually Peter does not have to be pleased towards player for bribing purposes, cautious is enough.
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0417.JPG

Why would Peter open borders at furious? There were no wars and he had no land targets (other than myself).

At first I thought you were at war with another AI and Peter was also at war with that AI.
That way, even if you are the Worst Enemy of Peter, he will still Open Borders with you since you are both at war vs. the same AI.
For Example:
Spoiler :

Squinting my eyes, you don't appear to be at war? :hmm:
You have vassals. Peter's attitude towards you is the average of his attitude towards you and all of your vassals. So, if he's Furious with you, but Friendly with the Zulu and Byzantine, I believe that would average out to Pleased.

Right!, Anysense has a vassal or vassals that is adjusting Peter's diplo attitude towards the player. :goodjob:

I've never seen anyone pin down exactly what is going on with diplomacy after gaining a vassal, so I will try it now.

1st, the diplomacy thresholds are as follows:
Furious: -10 diplo or lower
Annoyed: -9 diplo to -3 diplo
Cautious: -2 diplo to +2 diplo
Pleased: +3 diplo to +9 diplo
Friendly: +10 diplo or higher

Mods were created to allow hidden diplomacy modifiers to be viewed in game.
Apparently it is possible to view these in debugger mode, but I don't know how.

Eventually, Buffy 3.19.005 came out and it included all the hidden diplomacy modifiers. :D
Following a lot of hard work we are delighted to announce the launch of the new Buffy 005 mod, this updates BUG and BULL to the latest stable versions and will be the last major update to BUFFY.

If you installed a beta or pre-release version of 005 please note there have been some minor changes to the final version so please delete the old Mod folder, download this version and re-install.

The change logs for the new version are linked below but the main enhancements are:-
  1. All AI attitude modifiers are now shown including those previously hidden.

**Edit**
Looks like Silu figured it out in 2010. :dance:
A far more compact and better explanation than mine!
The real attitude is averaged by summing the attitudes towards you and your vassals together as integers (think 0 = Furious, 4 = Friendly), dividing by the amount and flooring.
If an AI is:
Friendly with human
Cautious with 1sthuman vassal
Pleased with 2nd human vassal
Furious with 3rd human vassal

This will combine into 4 + 2 + 3 + 0 = 9
Floor(9/4) = Floor(2.25) = 2
So the AI is Cautious with the Human master with 3 vassals team.

Spoiler My crappy attempt at an explanation long ago :
I see Anysense is running a mod because "we feel threatened by your large civilization" and "a first impression is a lasting one" are not normally viewable in unmodded civ.

The total relations with Peter is -24 diplo (Furious)
Peter signs Opens Borders at Cautious (-2 diplo or higher)
Peter must have good diplo with Anysense's vassal or vassals to be willing to sign Open Borders.
How much positive diplo is it exactly?

Let's run a test.
The player is -100 diplo (Furious) with an AI.
The AI signs open borders at Cautious.
The player has a vassal who is +10 diplo (Friendly) with the AI.

Does Furious + Friendly = Cautious?
Or is it merely (-100 + 2) / 2 = -49 diplo (Furious)?
How does the Master + Vassal diplomacy combine when dealing with another AI?

Using World Builder, make the player -10 (Furious) and the vassal +10 (Friendly) with the target civ.
The civ with Cautious as the threshold will sign Open Borders.
Change the player to -100 diplo (Furious) and keep the vassal +10 (Friendly)
The civ will still sign Open Borders, so the combined diplo is presumably still Cautious or higher
. :eek:

Now keep the player at -100 (Furious) and change the vassal to +9 (Pleased)
The civ who only signs open borders at Cautious or higher will no longer sign open borders, so the combined diplo of Master + Vassal must be below Cautious.

Master + Vassal do not combine diplomacy numbers.
They combine thresholds; Furious + Friendly = Cautious. :crazyeye:

Now for more complex tests.
We have an AI that signs Open Borders at Annoyed.

What if the Master + Vassal is Furious + Annoyed? Can the master sign open borders?
Nope.

What if the Master + Vassal + Vassal is Furious + Annoyed + Cautious?
Yes he signs Open Borders!
Furious + Annoyed + Cautious = Annoyed.

What if the Master + Vassal + Vassal is Furious + Furious + Cautious?
Nope.

What if the Master + Vassal + Vassal is Furious + Furious + Pleased?
Yes he signs Open Borders!

==================
Basically, the best I can figure out is you start with the diplomacy threshold indicated by Civ Illustrated.
For the last example, an AI signs Open Borders at Cautious.

Every threshold below Cautious subtract 1 and every threshold above Cautious add 1.
If the total score of Master + Vassal + Vassal + Vassal etc. is equal to 0 or above, then the AI will sign open borders.
If it is less than 0, the AI won't.

AI signs Open Borders at Cautious.
AI is Friendly with the player.
AI is Annoyed with vassal #1 of the player.
AI is Pleased with vassal #2 of the player.
AI is Furious with vassal #3 of the player.
AI is Annoyed with vassal #4 of the player.

That would be +2-1+1-2-1 = -1, so the AI won't sign Open Borders with the player.

Last edited:
I need to cap that stubborn bloke (look at the techs!). Reduced to one city with just a galley and a spear he still thinks that he is doing fine! What can be done about it? Will, perhaps, getting land target help? Or gifting cities to Peter or Mansa? BTW, this is Warlords and no aggressive AI. I noticed that it does not do what it does in BTS (easy cease fire) and turned it off.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0253.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0250.JPG

Mansa and Peter have 134k and 65k soldiers respectively. That puts Gandhi at 82k, well below the average.
Civ4ScreenShot0252.JPG

I tried to worldbuild similar conditions and I could get any vassals, not even first one, let alone second! No amount of war success or power or anything can make them see reason and become my vassals. I don't know what mysterious factors are at the root of this problem but the whole thing is a horrible mess in Warlords, I've never seen anything like this in BTS.

So if you worldbuilder the sitch in BTS it works fine? making this problem Warlords-specific. Then I can't help I don't have Warlords.

So if you worldbuilder the sitch in BTS it works fine? making this problem Warlords-specific. Then I can't help I don't have Warlords.

I replicated it in BTS. Not precisely, but the same techs, number of cities, population and units. Again I put 10 warriors in each of Mansa's cities and attacked with the same set of units. After loosing ~20 units and 1 city he capitulated, as one would expect in BTS. Yet in Warlords he would not capitulate even after loosing 3 cities and some 30 units. Perhaps, its not power that matters in Warlords but overall score or something else.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooow! So much information. I am going to have to bookmark this as I might want to know something from it some time. Probably the only thing I will ever want to know is when they can be bribed on someone. World war so fun!
That's it in a nutshell. As a Civ3 warmonger it's annoying as all getout to have AIs recently at war with each other become Pleased or Friendly with each other shortly afterwards. One supposes that in order to have them declare war their attitude toward each other must change; is there any way to affect that? Thanks.

Hey!!
Manco Capac's (Tachywaxon's) worksheet download is working again :D

Be sure to extract the .rar file onto your computer or it will be stuck in read-only mode

I'm determined to test it out now.
It is one of the ancient gems around these forums that deserves full testing and front page news.

"We Don't Want to Start Trading Away This Technology Just Yet" is a really annoying AI message to see when you want their juicy tech in a trade.

The worksheet should solve the mystery once and for all.

**Edit**
Ok, all 18 blue boxes need to be filled out correctly for the final result to work.
Some of them are drop down menus with multiple choice.
For the units section, Workboat is the null choice.

Hmm...:think:
"Estimate the strongest land unit in the game" only goes up to 5.
Is that intended?
Shouldn't it go up to 40:strength: in case a Modern Armor is rolling around somewhere?

Or does the calculation only matter up to 5:strength:?

I should have asked 10 years ago, but I forgot to get it done and now she is gone many years. :(

Last edited:
Hey!!
Manco Capac's (Tachywaxon's) worksheet download is working again :D

Be sure to extract the .rar file onto your computer or it will be stuck in read-only mode

I'm determined to test it out now.
It is one of the ancient gems around these forums that deserves full testing and front page news.

"We Don't Want to Start Trading Away This Technology Just Yet" is a really annoying AI message to see when you want their juicy tech in a trade.

The worksheet should solve the mystery once and for all.

**Edit**
Ok, all 18 blue boxes need to be filled out correctly for the final result to work.
Some of them are drop down menus with multiple choice.
For the units section, Workboat is the null choice.

Hmm...:think:
"Estimate the strongest land unit in the game" only goes up to 5.
Is that intended?
Shouldn't it go up to 40:strength: in case a Modern Armor is rolling around somewhere?

Or does the calculation only matter up to 5:strength:?

I should have asked 10 years ago, but I forgot to get it done and now she is gone many years. :(
@Kaitzilla
Just throwing out guesses here, could the number be either technology era or unit level through upgrade tree?

Top Bottom