Civ is like CRACK

gameout

Chieftain
I am very new to Civ5 ( never owned any Civ for that matter). I have probably logged 15 hours playing it in the first 5 days. My wife is not happy !

Any suggestions for playing would be helpful. How does the on-line multiplayer work? What happens when one player wants to leave when you are in the middle of playing? Can you save a multiplayer game?

Thanks again and just maybe I will declare war on you someday ! I am the bully on the map all the time. Someone will fix that soon I am sure.

Thanks

Gene

I suggest you to download Thal's Balance and What Would Gandhi Do mods, they will increase your gaming experience in ciV a lot.

glad to see you like it I love civ 5, dont know about the mods but I just like the game the way it is.

Read some of the negative posts here and take them seriously ... they will depress you and make you hate civ ... but if you just spend most of your time playing it you will realize that it is a nice mix of the best elements of Civ3 and Civ4 and isn't bad at all. :)

Discussing the game on this forum is much more fun than actually playing it! They should sell that as Civilization VI! :goodjob:

Seriously though, glad you are enjoying it. If you want more content, try checking out the mods section, you can find more civilizations and etc. there, and the modular nature of Civilization V makes mods easy to implement into your game.

I hope you enjoy it for thousands of hours. Let us know how you feel at 100, 200, 300 hours.

Well, as a newbie, I am 350 turns into the game. I forget what game I started but there are 4 land masses and about 6 civilizations. I have conquered 3 of them with 2 to go. I have Oga and Hiawatha left. I am dominating Oga and will clean him up in about another hour or two. Hiawatha's territories have just been invaded and once Oga is out I will concentrate on him.

I do have a question though. I am way ahead of them in technology. I have planes and subs. What do I do with my fighters if the opponents do not have this tech? I am just moving them around the map. Also how do I get the fighters on my carrier? I cannot figure this out. Oh, I have the atomic bomb and this sure is making things easy.:king:

Thanks for your assistance. I am loving this game and cannot seam to get myself off. So sleep deprived............help!

Finally a topic that isn't filled with Civ 5 hate!

Saying something is like crack certainly can't be construed as a good thing.. can it?:sad:

I do have a question though. I am way ahead of them in technology. I have planes and subs. What do I do with my fighters if the opponents do not have this tech? I am just moving them around the map. Also how do I get the fighters on my carrier? I cannot figure this out. Oh, I have the atomic bomb and this sure is making things easy.:king:

To rebase a fighter, look for the icon in the lower left side when your plane is selected. Rebase looks like a hangar. Click that, and then select your carrier. You can rebase up to 16 hex away (max range of fighter is 8, double for rebase range). As far as what to do when the AI doesn't have fighters, just enjoy air superiority! Use them to attack cities and ground units. Won't do as much damage as a bomber, but might as well put them to use.

Saying something is like crack certainly can't be construed as a good thing.. can it?:sad:

Not only can it be "construed" as a good thing, that's almost always exactly what it's supposed to mean. People use that line to compare things to crack's addictive quality, not the part where you die shivering and 98 lbs. He's just saying the game is addictive.

OP: I don't really have advice other than I wouldn't bother with multiplayer until they patch the game at least once or twice more. Spend the wait until then learning the game better.

Yah I agree you should stay away from these forums, they will make you seriously depressed.

Other then that I'm glad you are enjoying the game, I too like it!

Not only can it be "construed" as a good thing, that's almost always exactly what it's supposed to mean. People use that line to compare things to crack's addictive quality, not the part where you die shivering and 98 lbs. He's just saying the game is addictive.

So civ makes people lose their jobs, steal, murder, rob and do sexual favors to afford DLCs its so addictive.. still don't see how thats a good thing.:sad:
I don't know about you but i've never sold sexual favors to support my civ habit.
Doesn't seem anything like crack to me.. but maybe there are people who have done such things to support their addictive civ habit.

I am very new to Civ5 ( never owned any Civ for that matter). I have probably logged 15 hours playing it in the first 5 days. My wife is not happy !

Any suggestions for playing would be helpful. How does the on-line multiplayer work? What happens when one player wants to leave when you are in the middle of playing? Can you save a multiplayer game?

Thanks again and just maybe I will declare war on you someday ! I am the bully on the map all the time. Someone will fix that soon I am sure.

Thanks

Gene

Some answers for your questions.

What happens when one player wants to leave when you are in the middle of playing?

The AI take over for the quitter.

Can you save a multiplayer game?

I'm afraid not, but you could in Civ 3 and 4. I'm certain it will be fixed in a patch. You just have the autosave in Civ 5 so far.

Get some more experience, and join so multiplayer games. Civ5 is the best multiplayer experience of all Civ-games in the series so far. the 1 unit per tile combat system is fantastic when you play vs humans.

Some answers for your questions.

What happens when one player wants to leave when you are in the middle of playing?

The AI take over for the quitter.

Can you save a multiplayer game?

I'm afraid not, but you could in Civ 3 and 4. I'm certain it will be fixed in a patch. You just have the autosave in Civ 5 so far.

Get some more experience, and join so multiplayer games. Civ5 is the best multiplayer experience of all Civ-games in the series so far. the 1 unit per tile combat system is fantastic when you play vs humans.

Speaking of patches, has there been any indications that a patch is forthecoming in the near, or not so near, future?

At this point, I think they've hit most of the major concerns, so I hope the next one is really fine tuning the AI and fixing some of the minor broken features.

So civ makes people lose their jobs, steal, murder, rob and do sexual favors to afford DLCs its so addictive.. still don't see how thats a good thing.:sad:
I don't know about you but i've never sold sexual favors to support my civ habit.
Doesn't seem anything like crack to me.. but maybe there are people who have done such things to support their addictive civ habit.

Maybe you missed where I said:

Metaphors and similes aren't supposed to be exact comparisons, otherwise they wouldn't be metaphors or similes. Crack is addictive, Civ is addictive to the OP, and that was the comparison. None of that other stuff about murdering or selling his body applies. If you find that particular simile offensive, your complaint isn't with the OP but the many thousands of other people who have used that exact same expression before him, and his thread is a pretty odd place to soapbox about it.

Maybe you missed where I said:

Metaphors and similes aren't supposed to be exact comparisons, otherwise they wouldn't be metaphors or similes. Crack is addictive, Civ is addictive to the OP, and that was the comparison. None of that other stuff about murdering or selling his body applies. If you find that particular simile offensive, your complaint isn't with the OP but the many thousands of other people who have used that exact same expression before him, and his thread is a pretty odd place to soapbox about it.

So civ isn't like crack at all then? I mean either it is or it isn't.... can't have it both ways. Like saying "it shined like the sun" suggests an extremely bright quality. The choice of subject matter for a particular simile DOES affect the overall implications of the description. Using X to compare Y implies that Z qualities of Y are shared but not necessarily to the exact extent of X. For instance. Saying someone runs as fast as a turtle implies they run slow. Saying someone runs fast as a bullet implies they run fast. so.. Saying something is "like crack" is implying extreme addictive qualities not just suggesting its addictive.

I was being purposefully obtuse anyway.. but your responses kept my shtick going. The fact that you feel you need to somehow defend and validate the usage of the term is far funnier than my silliness anyway.

Pedantry is an unintelligent person's form of trolling.

Top Bottom