Civ specific Dawn of Man

Question, then: It's my understanding that the 1200 scenario is basically autoplayed until 1200 in the same way that it autoplays for any civ except France and Byzantium, rather than a rigid map of "this is how Europe looked in 1200 AD" that starts the exact same way every time. If that's the case, some of the texts might be irrelevant or incorrect from the very start. For example, Burgundy's might be "blah blah, you've survived French onslaughts for centuries, blah blah pick a side in the Hundred Years' War, blah blah extend your empire up to the Low Countries, blah blah be a better France than France." But then when the autoplay ends, the player finds themselves having lost Dijon 100 years before and barely holding on to Marseille while a monster of a French army looms. Or... they're allied with England and Genoa, and France has just fallen into civil war and Burgundy's almost done with their UHVs right from the start.

No, the 1200AD scenario starts from a preset map, same way as the 500AD scenario.
Not sure if it will run perfectly for you, as IIRC you use 1.3 or 1.3.1, but here is the scenario file.
You can probably check the starting situation with it.

So- roughly how reliable of a start will each country have? Or, how vague should the DoM text be?
While the scenario is not in a final state yet, the goal is to have a historic setup. As accurate as possible, at least in the terms of RFCE.
So they don't have to be vague at all :)

the 1200 scenario is fixed, will be always the same, and there is no burgundy btw. But we have to improve it to represent better the shape of Europe at that time.

No, the 1200AD scenario starts from a preset map, same way as the 500AD scenario.

Ah okay. Well that helps. :D

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to look at that starting setup, for the past few days on my computer every version/mod of Civ4 has been slow to the point of being unplayable. :sad: I'll try to look at it tonight, but no promises.

I'm guessing the DoMs that need to be written are basically every civ that starts before 1200, except Burgundy and Cordoba. I know this was mentioned a little bit in the late start thread, but I don't know what ended up getting decided about the Fourth Crusade. Do the Byzantines have any sort of chance to survive it? Because if not, their DoM will be very easy to write:

"It appears you have made a wrong turn. If you want Byzantium, try starting from 500. Seriously. Enrico Dandolo is about to wreck your whole game. You have been warned." :lol:

Okay, here's threefour to start.

Venice: "Enrico Dandolo, you are poised on the doorstep of a pivotal moment in the history of your Republic. For centuries, your Venetians have used maritime skill and control of trade routes to become the richest nation in Europe. They continued to build on this as three great Crusades left for the Holy Land, largely sailing on fleets that you provided. Now a Fourth Crusade is gathering- but this time, they aren't able to pay their way.

Now is your chance to become the greatest Doge in Venetian history. The Crusaders have agreed to buy their passage by doing Venice a small favor. They can return rebellious Zara to Venetian control- but your plans are much grander than that. The former colony is about to triumph over their master..."

I figured I'd mention Dandolo (instead of "you") just because the timing works. And on the flip side...

Byzantines: "Emperor. The great Eastern Roman Empire continues to flourish, with both land and riches- and Constantinople remains the crown jewel of Europe. However, we are but a shell of our massive former glory. Bulgarians, Arabians, and barbarians of all sorts have swept over Anatolia, the Levant, and southeastern Europe in great waves.

Now we fear we may have our greatest challenge yet. It appears that the western Catholics, still upset over the Schism, are preparing another destructive Crusade. Not to pillage their way across Anatolia as before- they, specifically our former colony in Ravenna, are aiming for our beating heart, the great city of Constantinople.

Our walls have never been vanquished, and many have died trying. But this test may prove too much. And if the Venetians can bring them down, how will we fend off uprisings from the heathens in Anatolia in years to come?"

(I can't remember the Byz UHVs off the top of my head, so I didn't mention them. Is three paragraphs too long?)

England: "The 13th Century dawns over an England in turmoil. The Lion Heart lies dead, and the nobles are unimpressed with his brother John. The soldiers have mostly returned from the Third Crusade, dejected that they never even tried to attack Jerusalem. They face a growing threat from Scotland in the north, a strengthening France on the Continent, and dissension amongst their own barons.

You must lead your English people through the looming civil wars and emerge stronger than ever. You must soon marshal your forces against the French, as Normandy and Anjou depend on your protection. With technological prowess, industrial might, and your strong leadership, you will turn this island nation into an empire on which the sun never sets!"

Too cheesy, with the "sun never sets" stuff? :mischief: Also, I wasn't sure about "Anjou", I'm pretty sure that's not even a province, but I don't know (yet) what all England controls at the beginning of the scenario.

Arabia: "The great Saladin has gone to Paradise, after rolling back a century of Christian gains in [what do Arabians/Muslims call the Levant/Holy Land?]. The holy city of al-Quds is now back in Arabian hands, and the "Crusader States" that murdered Muslims by the thousands are all but eradicated.

You have been chosen as the new ruler of the Ayyubid Caliphate, and must now continue the jihad against the infidel invaders. There may be more Crusades to come, although we have reason to believe we'll be spared from the next one. Other Muslim nations will rise to help us in our holy mission to spread Islam across this continent!"

I've never played as the Arabians or the Ottomans, so I don't know how much they help or hate each other, so that last sentence might be all wrong.

Great, I like them :goodjob:
Let's wait some time to see if anyone wants to suggest some improvements/changes on them, then I will include them in the mod

:cheers:

I'll try to do a few more when I get the time.

Some suggestions:

Byzantium:
"Basileus. Though we have endured many hardships over the last several centuries, the Roman Empire still stands strong, and Constantinople, the Queen of Cities, remains the crown jewel of Europe. However, we are but a shell of our former glory. Much of the work of the Komnenian Restoration has already been undone; corruption plagues the empire, usurpers rise left and right, the Bulgarians have revolted once more, and the dream of recovering Anatolia is now more distant than ever.

Now we fear we may have our greatest challenge yet. It appears that the schismatic Catholics are preparing for yet another Crusade. But we fear this one will be different. Our former vassals, the Venetians, are still furious over the Massacre of the Latins several years ago. Should the Venetians choose to give the order, rather than attacking the infidels in the Holy Land, the Crusaders may instead set sail for our beating heart, the great city of Constantinople.

Our walls have never been breached, though many have tried. But this may prove too much. And if the Venetians can bring them down, how will we fend off invasions from the heathens in Anatolia in the years to come?"

England:

The 13th Century dawns over an England in turmoil. The great Lionheart lies dead, and his soldiers returning from the Third Crusade are dejected that they never reached the Holy City despite the Crusade's general success. The once-mighty Angevin Empire now faces growing threats from a rebellious Scotland in the north, a resurgent France keen to reclaim its western lands, and dissension amongst the English barons who resent the king's despotic rule.

You must lead the English people through the looming civil wars and foreign invasions and emerge stronger than ever. The French will soon be looking to conquer your ancestral lands on the continent, but if you play your cards correctly you may be able to turn the tables and claim the French crown for yourself. With technological prowess, industrial might, and your strong leadership, you will turn this island nation into an empire on which the sun never sets!

Maybe it would be wise to leave out the brother part.
Sort of implies you are the new hapless leader.

Arabia:

The great Saladin has gone to Paradise, after rolling back a century of Christian gains in the Blessed Land. The holy city of al-Quds is now back in Arabian hands, and the infidel "Crusader States" that butchered Muslims by the thousands have been all but eradicated.

You have been chosen as the new ruler of the Ayyubid Sultanate, and it is your duty to finish off the last of the Frankish invaders. There may be more Crusades to come, though we have reason to believe that we will be spared, at least for now. With the Christians nearly finished off and stability restored to Egypt and the Levant for the first time in centuries, it is time for a great flourishing of culture and science in the Arab World once more. We should not become too complacent, however; while we may be dominant in the Middle East for now, we should recall the example of the Abbasids and be wary of the Turks to the north... .

I will upload these 4 soon enough, then we can move on to some other civs :)

@TheMulattoMaker
Do you like those changes? Have some comments or further improvements on them?

@DC123456789
Do you plan to revise the Venetian one too?

I think TheMulattoMaker's Venetian one is pretty good; I don't know what I'd add, except maybe retouching a bit of the word choice.

Do you like those changes? Have some comments or further improvements on them?

Oh, I don't mind the changes at all, I was just throwing half-formed ideas out there :D

I think TheMulattoMaker's Venetian one is pretty good; I don't know what I'd add, except maybe retouching a bit of the word choice.

That one was easy, I was playing as Venice and was at about 1180 or 1190- it kinda wrote itself. :lol:

Oh, I don't mind the changes at all, I was just throwing half-formed ideas out there :D

That one was easy, I was playing as Venice and was at about 1180 or 1190- it kinda wrote itself. :lol:

Thanks guys, will upload these 4 with my next commit :)
Any plans for some more?
Obviously everyone else is welcome to write some initial drafts, that's already a huge help
Starting these is always the hardest part :)

Alright, these 4 are up in the main version, awaiting for more :mischief:

Would like to continue adding 1200AD Dawn of Man texts as well.
We only have texts for Byzantium, Arabia, Venice and England so far.
(Also for all the civs spawning after 1200AD)
Anyone with a little motivation to start on a couple texts?
If there is a base, we can quickly improve it into a final one together, as in before.

Top Bottom