Civ stopped working after turn 1605

BzuX

Chieftain
I'm looking for a valid piece of advice about how to fix my Civ or save.

My Civ4 started crashing every time I try to get past turn No. 1605 in this one particular game. The game just crashes to the desktop with this message

"Civ4: BTS has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Can't figure out how to pull a more detailed report from that, though.

Configuration:
Lenovo Y580
Windows 8.1
Latest drivers and DirectX
Civ4 BTS - Rise of Mankind 2.92

Unsuccessful fix attempts:
not working with neither Intel integrated graphics nor nVidia graphics
tried to run my save on my girlfriend's computer - MSI GE60, same version of the game, Win7, same error
changing between windowed/fullscreen mode
loading an older save (20 turns before)

save available to download here.

Don't know if this happens during other new games, haven't had the balls to sacrifice another week of playing for nothing.

I doubt that the issue is fixable. The game core for CIV4 is old, It doesn't utilize the capacities of your machine like newer software does. There is maximum map size and unit count that's fundamental to the game core.

Remember to be ruthless and crush your rivals well before 1600th turn or there will be no victory.

My condolences.

I doubt that the issue is fixable. The game core for CIV4 is old, It doesn't utilize the capacities of your machine like newer software does. There is maximum map size and unit count that's fundamental to the game core.

Remember to be ruthless and crush your rivals well before 1600th turn or there will be no victory.

My condolences.

I was afraid of something like that. I've built a few new units from RoM and kept my enemies in check hoping I've kept number of their towns well under "a limit". But in spite of their annihilation the game still crashes. The map size is huge though and I've made a lot of changes in terrain and resources, so maybe that's the reason.

Thanks for your insight though.

Top Bottom