• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ V Cracked Already

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why Steam is so stupid, because it only hurts the paying customers.

how does steam hurt the customer ?, takes about 2 seconds to load up . I would use steam even if i didnt have too , auto patches and no DVD in drive is a good enough reason to use it for me , Also the fact i could play the game within 10 seconds of its release date.

It seems like complaining is a serious hobby for alot of people on here.

If someone pirates a game, it is my belief that in the majority of cases, they would have never of bought the game in the first place, thus no sales were lost.

I think people pirate what they want to play. I don't think people often pirate things they have no interest in.

how does steam hurt the customer ?, takes about 2 seconds to load up . I would use steam even if i didnt have too , auto patches and no DVD in drive is a good enough reason to use it for me , Also the fact i could play the game within 10 seconds of its release date.

It seems like complaining is a serious hobby for alot of people on here.

That's nice, that is why Steam should be optional, so people like you can use it IF YOU CHOOSE TO.

Forcing everyone to is not a good thing, and hurts customers.

That's nice, that is why Steam should be optional, so people like you can use it IF YOU CHOOSE TO.

Forcing everyone to is not a good thing, and hurts customers.

Forcing everyone else to have a worse/more expensive game by needing a separate DRM that costs money and doubles the QA necessary is not a solution.

There is a demo for trial! There is no excuse to pirate the game.

Blizzard hit a sweet spot with Starcraft II. They control mulitplayer through Bnet, so at least this aspect of the game is crack-proof.

I disagree, they pissed me off. What if you want to sell your game? I was bored after the first hour of playing Starcraft, and now it's just a 60 dollar coaster.

bahaha 'duuude those pirates install like super a super virus that changes your ID, duuuddee' 'duuudee the virus seduces your wife and takes custody of your kids duuudde'

I have always bought the Civ series, from Civ 2 onwards BUT I always get a 'pirated' version online to avoid headaches, I like the developers to get paid but I hate anti-copy protection. Virus schmirus

I disagree, they pissed me off. What if you want to sell your game? I was bored after the first hour of playing Starcraft, and now it's just a 60 dollar coaster.

how is selling your game second hand any different to downloading an illegal copy? the developers don't get any money from the re-sell do they?

how is selling your game second hand any different to downloading an illegal copy? the developers don't get any money from the re-sell do they?

And?

I bought the game, it should be mine to sell. They got their cut on the initial sale. They aren't getting any money with it just sitting in the garbage, either. GM doesn't get a cut if I sell my 2010 Camaro SS, but I am able to do so if I want.

It's all about greed.

Well the way I see it, the person you sold to, wanted the game. And without you selling it to them they would have gone and bought it. Is that not lose of revenue? oh wells

Well the way I see it, the person you sold to, wanted the game. And without you selling it to them they would have gone and bought it. Is that not lose of revenue? oh wells

Not necessarily. Some people refuse to buy games at full price and wait for them to come out cheaper...sort of like some people won't go to see a movie until it comes out on video.

Again, it just boils down to greed.

I think people pirate what they want to play. I don't think people often pirate things they have no interest in.

Not buying it, and not having interest in it, are entirely separate things.

I was very interested in Sins of a Solar Empire. It seemed like a good game, and I wanted to try it. Unfortunately, it did not have a demo.

I downloaded a cracked torrent of it, and played it. I found I did not like it. I then uninstalled it from my computer.

Did the developer/publisher lose money? No. I would have never bought the game, regardless of my interest. Had the torrent not been available, I would have waited (perhaps indefinitely) for a demo.

Now, had I liked the game, I probably would have purchased it for the multi-player aspect, access to their forums, and patches and support. Thus, piracy would have led to a sale for the developer/publisher.

Moderator Action: Infracted for advocating piracy. Pirating a game to "try it out" is no different than stealing any other product to "try it out"
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

But if I buy something, shouldn't I then OWN it and do with it what I choose? Is that old-fashioned? I can sell this keyboard and there's not a thing Logitech can do about it. Mazda has no say about what I do with my car after it's paid off. Because it's MINE. It's just how things work. Private property, etc.

Not buying it, and not having interest in it, are entirely separate things.

I was very interested in Sins of a Solar Empire. It seemed like a good game, and I wanted to try it. Unfortunately, it did not have a demo.

I downloaded a cracked torrent of it, and played it. I found I did not like it. I then uninstalled it from my computer.

Did the developer/publisher lose money? No. I would have never bought the game, regardless of my interest. Had the torrent not been available, I would have waited (perhaps indefinitely) for a demo.

Now, had I liked the game, I probably would have purchased it for the multi-player aspect, access to their forums, and patches and support. Thus, piracy would have led to a sale for the developer/publisher.

I doubt many pirates pirate games and then choose to not play them.

Rather I think it is very easy to say "I wouldn't pay for that" when it is in your hands free already.

I doubt many pirates pirate games and then choose to not play them.

Rather I think it is very easy to say "I wouldn't pay for that" when it is in your hands free already.

Then you miss my point entirely.

The game would be purchased for the added value of registering your game.

I'm talking about things like patch support, multi-player support, and community/mod access with registration.

Look at the system Paradox Interactive uses regarding DRM.

Not a single one of their games requires even a CD key to play.

But if you do not purchase their games, you get no patches, you get almost no access to the incredible modding community through the forums, and you get zero tech support. Couple that with competitive pricing ($30-$40 dollar games instead of $50-$60 dollar games) and I will always chose to support the developer, even if I torrented the game initially to see if I liked it.

Moderator Action: Warned for piracy. Piracy is piracy regardless of the excuse.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

But if I buy something, shouldn't I then OWN it and do with it what I choose? Is that old-fashioned? I can sell this keyboard and there's not a thing Logitech can do about it. Mazda has no say about what I do with my car after it's paid off. Because it's MINE. It's just how things work. Private property, etc.

I know YOU own IT and I never said you COULDN'T sell IT, just making THE point that second hand sells don't put money in developers pockets.

Also, I'm sketchy on the law of re-selling of goods such as computer games, is it infact, legal? :confused:

I know YOU own IT and I never said you COULDN'T sell IT, just making THE point that second hand sells don't put money in developers pockets.

Also, I'm sketchy on the law of re-selling of goods such as computer games, is it infact, legal? :confused:

Depends on the User Agreement. Some things you technically only own a LICENSE, not the game itself.

bahaha 'duuude those pirates install like super a super virus that changes your ID, duuuddee' 'duuudee the virus seduces your wife and takes custody of your kids duuudde'

I have always bought the Civ series, from Civ 2 onwards BUT I always get a 'pirated' version online to avoid headaches, I like the developers to get paid but I hate anti-copy protection. Virus schmirus
Why the hell? There is BARELY any DRM on any of the Civ games except 5 which has Steam. Hell, Civ4 Complete doesn't even require a disc check and might even be DRM free!

Might be illegal, a recent ruling in the states held up an EULA for some software program that says you can't resell the game.

Then you miss my point entirely.

The game would be purchased for the added value of registering your game.

I'm talking about things like patch support, multi-player support, and community/mod access with registration.

Look at the system Paradox Interactive uses regarding DRM.

Not a single one of their games requires even a CD key to play.

But if you do not purchase their games, you get no patches, you get almost no access to the incredible modding community through the forums, and you get zero tech support. Couple that with competitive pricing ($30-$40 dollar games instead of $50-$60 dollar games) and I will always chose to support the developer, even if I torrented the game initially to see if I liked it.

You missed my point entirely.

Your claim of:

If someone pirates a game, it is my belief that in the majority of cases, they would have never of bought the game in the first place, thus no sales were lost.

That claim is pretty common, and laughable. Folks are pirating games to play them for free, plain and simple. It is easy for people to claim and even convince them self that they wouldn't pay for something that is already free to you anyway so no harm done, but that excuse is garbage and self serving.

If folks pirate something so they don't have to pay for it I don't much care. That is their call but be honest about it. The self centered and laughable excuses people use to justify it as just sad.

The folks who own the game can offer it to you in whatever way they wish, that is their right. Believe it or not nobody is required to provide video games to anyone in a manner they demand, but that sense of entitlement is pretty common amongst the piracy crowd. Oddly enough that DRM didn't come out of nowhere before piracy, rather a reaction to it, but a sense of responsibility is also woefully short amongst that crowd too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom