Civ V Expansion?

Personally I think there will be a 'DLC Pack' out with a collection of the DLC's (and maybe a second or third pack) but I doubt a fullfledged expansion pack.

I think they'll continue on the road they are on, improving the game ánd adding stuff to the game with patches and every few months bringing out a DLC/scenario-pack.

But that's what I think, I don't know to be honest, and I don't think they've said anything about planning to release an expansion pack or not.

Expansion pack seems likely actually, as none of the DLC actually add gameplay content, just new Civs.

The patches is where we've received the most gameplay tweaks, including overhauling of diplomacy, building/tile bonuses and a completely new building. But that was expected when the game launched in such an unfinished state.

E3 is coming up in a few months. I'd expect an announcement of an expansion for the fall then.

If they want to add a major new system (like Espionage, Religion, Corporations, etc.) or if they want to expand/fill out portions of the tech tree, they really only have two options. They can either do it by free patch or they can do it by expansion pack. The expansion might technically be billed as a $20 DLC or something, of course.

It's possible that they think continued DLC revenue is enough and they'll do the major new features as patches, but I think we'll see something billed as an Expansion Pack at some point. It might be smaller than we're used to - they might do a $20 overall game expansion, and a $40 bundle of it with all the DLC (I'm assuming more DLC by that point) - but I think it'll happen in some way at some point.

A collection of DLC-Civs may be possible as a collection set "later on", but they will not be included in an expansion. That would make no sense... ;-) After these DLC's it would also seem strange to put several civs into one expansion. So far you could pick&chose with which civs you want.... But of course they can do what they want-

My personal bet on the expansion is - besides the "features" - that they will incorporate 'second' or 'third' leaders for the Civs. Leaders would probably not sell as well as Full-Civilzation DLCs so they better be put into a 'collection', where they can be presented flashily and might be the tipping point in the buying decision. The question then there is how new leaders get incorporated into gameplay (additional UPs?)

I recall reading something by one of the forum moderators that said there would probably be an expansion around the holidays. I don't remember which one or within which post, I just remember reading it.

2K is releasing a Mafia II Director's Cut which is simply the main game plus all of the DLCs in one package.

It's pretty likely there will be an expansion pack. This is because civ5 has sold really well, the DLC has probably done reasonably well also, and for the most part the reception for the game has been positive. It just makes complete sense for Firaxis/2K to take further advantage of the game.

Also, they appear to have focused on future potential of the game by building the engine for civ5. Also consider it requires relatively modern hardware (mainly talking about graphics cards and CPUs). I very much doubt they haven't planned to use this engine for a lot more.

As for when the expansion will come, I've no idea.

I think they have to come out with an expansion to add new game systems. Big things take a lot of programming and artwork. I think it's too costly for them to do that for free with a patch. Whether the expansions will have more leaders or not I don't know. Most likely they will be DLC-expansions that add one new game mechanic and a few scenarios to leverage the new ways to play. Probably cost about $20.

I do think they will combine the DLC civs into one package eventually but not for a while. Not until they feel sales are slowing down on them.

If they add new leaders, they will probably rework the UAs of civs so that they match the leaders, instead of the civ itself. For example, if they add Louis XIV for France, he will probably get the current French UA, and Napoleon would get a new one; if they add a new German leader, he might as well get the current German UA, while Bismarck would get something more linked to its era, etc.
Or they might add a new feature for each leader (Unique Penalties! yay! [not my idea]).
Or they might as well just leave it like that.

So is Firaxis just going to released DLC packs and no expansion packs with Civ V?

They said something about a surprise, perhaps an expansion coming soon is the surprise.

The surprise is a "much requested feature." So unless that feature is an expansion full of features, I'm going to say no. :p

From what I gather, they'll need an expansion to bring out a new requested feature like religion or espionage. :p

I really, really hope they don't put in Religion, Espionage or Corporations. They were not implemented well at all in Civ4, what makes you think they will be better for Civ5? Civ5's strength has been in the Civs themselves (including UU, UB, UA), as well as the scenarios. More of that, along with new wonders, buildings, units, etc. would be fine for an expansion.

I really, really hope they don't put in Religion, Espionage or Corporations. They were not implemented well at all in Civ4, what makes you think they will be better for Civ5? Civ5's strength has been in the Civs themselves (including UU, UB, UA), as well as the scenarios. More of that, along with new wonders, buildings, units, etc. would be fine for an expansion.

Personally, I liked Civ IV Religion, Espionage, and Corporations, though I didn't use Espionage terribly often.

Adding religion to Civ V in a similar manner (Religion founding linked to Techs, religion adding happiness, happy and/or culture buildings possibly linked to specific religions, religious spread, missionaries, diplomatic aspects, etc.) works for me. I'm sure they could add a setup button where you could disable it if you so chose.

It's pretty likely there will be an expansion pack. This is because civ5 has sold really well, the DLC has probably done reasonably well also, and for the most part the reception for the game has been positive. It just makes complete sense for Firaxis/2K to take further advantage of the game.

Also, they appear to have focused on future potential of the game by building the engine for civ5. Also consider it requires relatively modern hardware (mainly talking about graphics cards and CPUs). I very much doubt they haven't planned to use this engine for a lot more.

As for when the expansion will come, I've no idea.

I agree with this. It would shock me if there were no expansions.

I still think firaxis paid lemmy101 and captainbinky to make the DUCKS in to an expansion.

I hope you are right, that would be awesome. It looked so amazing and exactly the sorta thing I want from religion in civ.

I did a poll awhile asking what people think the expansion will be and what it will contain. There was around 50% saying there will be an expansion without DLC and new features and civs. I think this seems the most likely.

Top Bottom