CIV V Naval battles

Does anyone think that the "One-unit-per-tile-rule" is only a game option for players who want to play with bigger maps

No, it sounds like its going to be a key design element of their new warfare design.

I think its positive for naval units, though I'm still skeptical about its use for land units (I'm worried about chokepoint stalemates).

You're talking about tactical warfare. Civ is about strategic warfare on a global scale.

Unless we're thinking about a "Jutland" or "Midway" mod or similar I don't see what place this has in a Civ game. And even then you're reusing the Civ engine for something local.

If we get worried about chokepoint stalemates -- I can't tell since I don't know about the combat mechanics -- perhaps a good navy may may save the day...?! ;)

Jaca

You're talking about tactical warfare. Civ is about strategic warfare on a global scale.

Unless we're thinking about a "Jutland" or "Midway" mod or similar I don't see what place this has in a Civ game. And even then you're reusing the Civ engine for something local.

It *was*. But it now sounds like they are trying to include tactical elements in the strategic game. They're changing civ.

As far as naval combat, I welcome it. Naval combat in Civ has always sucked.

My biggest fear is AI capability. Its going to be *hard* to make a good AI for the new environment.

Of course, they will have to allow foreign ships to pass through eachother (in international waters) during peacetime. Otherwise we are back to civ2 tactics, where I used to block all access to the mediterranean with my destroyers.

Top Bottom