Civ3 Show-And-Tell

I had been pondering a while how to tell if a civ is eliminated, and I was thinking today about how to look for it, and then it struck me: if a civ has 0 cities and 0 units, they're eliminated! I don't know if that's what the game keys on, but it should be good enough for cia3, and I have those per-civ values exposed in Lua already.

It's probably a minority case, but don't forget that under, Scenario Properties, an AI Civ can be set be set to "Respawn."

- Much more importantly, the work you've been doing is brilliant. :beer: (It really should be martini glasses ... )

Thanks @Ozymandias and @WildWeazel ! It's encouraging to hear someone's paying attention :) .

I semi- ran out of steam and also had a (first-world) trying week (who didn't?). There are plenty of features/scripts to add, but I also want to actually build a release soon-ish so it's easier for others to poke at, too. I'm vaguely toying with the ideas of an online-accessible script runner (upload a save, run premade or custom Lua scripts), and I'm also wondering about a concerted effort to collect a whole lot of SAV files for larger statistics runs. But they are mostly vague ideas at this point.

It's probably a minority case, but don't forget that under, Scenario Properties, an AI Civ can be set be set to "Respawn."

I initially presumed that respawning would happen instantly, and they'd have units again, but that needs testing. I guess in the worst case, a save after eliminating a civ but before the next turn might show the civ as gone, but it would show up again when the city/unit count is nonzero. Actually, that could lead to some interesting test scenarios.

May/June 2020? If someone had asked me I might have said I haven't touched Civ3 this year, but apparently I did, a lot. I don't recall why I lost steam this time, but since then I've sold my house and am playing airbnb nomad in the US Rocky Mountains.

I'll have to refamiliarize myself with what I've done. I recall adding Lua scripting in some fashion and making progress on reading the SAV file. Right now I kind of have the itch to play around with gRPC and protocol buffers and/or flat buffers. That won't directly or immediately add any features, but it may get my attention on the project again.

I learned how to decode the gold count, so I added it to CIA3. New release: cia3-0.4.3.exe .

For anyone playing with clua from the source repo, the diplomacy lua example now prints out the gold, too. But it does need to be recompiled from the v0.4.3 code base.

Any further work will likely involve completely changing the interface. It can't really get any worse. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom