Civ4 Finnish translation

artalta said:
Just out of nosiness, are you a professional translator or do you have any formal training in translation?

No. I am just a math student loving Civ and Finnish language. I have, however, translated four other programs into Finnish.

Just out of curiousity, did you have problems with unicode? I'm trying to translate into Arabic but the text doesn't appear in the correct language. thanx in advance

Great work!!!
I found only one mistake, but thats nothing!:)
and that railroad-"poem" is really funny!
Does it work in multiplayer too???

Oikea kulttuuriteko!!!:goodjob:

jammu said:
Great work!!!
I found only one mistake, but thats nothing!:)
and that railroad-"poem" is really funny!
Does it work in multiplayer too???

Oikea kulttuuriteko!!!:goodjob:

Sorry, as I know, it will not work in multiplayer because Civ IV uses its original files (which you can not modify or you will not be able to play multis) in multiplayer games and so translation does not work with multiplayer.

Calling all Finns!
Having otherwise completed his awe-inspiring work in bringing Civilization IV to Finnish, Kahkonen has founded a collaborative project for the final stage - translating the Civilopedia!

And we're recruiting.
So if you have good Finnish and English skills and dangerously little sanity, your country's gamers need you. The maestro has whipped up an easy-to-use translating enviroment where volunteers can view the current state of the project and make changes as they wish, so newcomers can jump right in and no commitments are necessary. The work is incorporated into the downloadable translation mod in the next of its frequent updates.

A word of warning to the idiots, though - every change is recorded, as are the makers' IPs.

At present, the project has a small handful of dedicated workers. Barely over a tenth of the work has been completed, so there's plenty of opportunities left - and we can use a hand!
If you're interested, contact the leader ( mika.kahkonen(at)mbnet.fi ) for the URL plus the account name and password. For questions, please contact either him or me ( Moosedance(at)gmail.com ).

anjf said:
So I read the files, you add the text form finnish to the xml files and removed al the other such as german and french is that correct? If it is, is that all that has to be done in order to play with another tongue?

At last I discovered how to use grammatical cases in Civ4.

== CIV4DiplomacyText.xml ==

<Finnish>
<Text>Englishman:Englishmen</Text>
<Plural>0:1</Plural>
</Finnish>

You can use them in DiplomacyText.xml this way:
[CT_CIV_ADJ] = Englishman
[CT_CIV_ADJ:1] = Englishmen

And if:
<Text>Englishman:Englishmen:another text</Text>
So:
[CT_CIV_ADJ:2] = another text

Also this works:
<Finnish>Amerikka:Amerikan</Finnish>
[CT_CIV_SHORT] = Amerikka
[CT_CIV_SHORT:1] = Amerikan

[x_EMPIRE] - English empire
[x_CIV_SHORT] - England
[x_CIV_ADJ] - English
x = CT - player
x = OUR - computer

-----------------

In other files there are used variables: %s1_CityName (string) or %d (number)

== Numbers ==

If there is an line: "%d turn" and you want it "turns" when there is many turns.

You can write "%d [NUM1:turn:turns]."
so if there is only one turn = "1 turn" and if more = "2 turns"

And if there are more than one variable:
"%d1 %d2 ... [NUM1:yksi:monta] [NUM2:vuoro:vuoroa]")
%d1 --- NUM1
%d1 --- NUM2

== Strings ==

Let
TXT_KEY_UNIT_WOLF
<Finnish>susi:suden:sutta:sudessa:sutena</Finnish>

You can get the cases this way:
%s1_UnitName = "susi"
%s1:2_UnitName = "suden"
%s1:3_UnitName = "sutta"
%s1:4_UnitName = "sudessa"
%s1:5_UnitName = "sutena"

Example
"Kekkonen sai valmiiksi Eiffelin tornin Tampereella"
->
"%s1_PlyrName sai valmiiksi %s2:2_WndrName %s2:3_CityName"

Translation status update: We rock!

But there's still plenty left for newcomers.

Kizor said:
Translation status update: We rock!

But there's still plenty left for newcomers.

That is: 107/425 Tag-entrys and mostly short tags. There is maybe some 1/8 ready and Kizor have done almost half of it!

Still the work progresses! If I'd know even a single word of Finnish, I'd be helping out, but from what I've seen on this thread, Finnish looks like an awfully difficult language, so I'll pass! ;)

Kahkonen said:
That is: 107/425 Tag-entrys and mostly short tags. There is maybe some 1/8 ready and Kizor have done almost half of it!

Quite. That's still an eighth more than we had a couple of weeks before, and our translator team's more than doubled in size. :)

It seems that the translation is picking up pace. Good job guys. Especially on those grammatical cases. A small suggestion here: how about writing unit's basic form with a capital letter? That way the unit would look better in the build menu. Whereas in a middle of sentence another form of the word will be used and it would be in lower case (if needed).

Example:
"Tampere rakensi ty&#246;l&#228;isen."*, but in the build menu it would say: "Mit&#228; haluat rakentaa t&#228;ss&#228; kaupungissa? ... Ty&#246;l&#228;inen"**

* "You have built a Worker in Tampere."
** "What would you like to build in this city? ... Worker"

I hope it's possible. Anyway, my two cents on this monumental project. :)

Cheers,
Uluk

Uluk said:
Whereas in a middle of sentence another form of the word will be used and it would be in lower case (if needed).

I hope it's possible. Anyway, my two cents on this monumental project. :)

Cheers,
Uluk

It IS possible and I'm working on it (and I'm also working to have genetives, partitives and so on). I thought I can publish new version in 06/04/15 but now they published 1.61.

I'll try to translate whenever I have time to spare :)

Status update: Work is proceeding at a steady pace. As is visible on the project's home page, over half of the Civilopedia text is now in Finnish, which amounts to roughly 2/3 of the entries. At the same time the main game's translation has been refined, the diplomacy texts have been redone and the fiendish Finnish cases have been partially implemented. Thanks to everyone involved.

We do still welcome new blood on the project! More than halfway there still means a ways to go.

I know, finns rock! :band: Hard rock hallelujah!!

Kizor said:
Status update: Work is proceeding at a steady pace. As is visible on the project's home page, over half of the Civilopedia text is now in Finnish, which amounts to roughly 2/3 of the entries. At the same time the main game's translation has been refined, the diplomacy texts have been redone and the fiendish Finnish cases have been partially implemented. Thanks to everyone involved.

Status update: some 4/5 translated. The project would be ready in June if there was not FIFA. Thanks to everyone involved.

Quite impressive, I must try this one for sure :)

Top Bottom