Civ4 Map Finder Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Map Finder Categories - replace MF_Text.dat file in Civ4 Map Finder folder with the one in the attached zip file.

River Terrain Types - Note: These will work now!
  • River Grassland
  • River Grassland Forest
  • River Grassland Hill
  • River Grassland Hill Forest
  • River Grassland Hill Jungle
  • River Grassland Jungle
  • River Plains
  • River Plains Forest
  • River Plains Hill
  • River Plains Hill Forest
  • River Snow
  • River Snow Forest
  • River Snow Hill
  • River Snow Hill Forest
  • River Tundra
  • River Tundra Forest
  • River Tundra Hill
  • River Tundra Hill Forest

Combo Types - Note: These won't work until next HOF Mod Version!
  • Pig on Grassland
  • Deer on Grassland Forest
  • Deer on River Grassland Forest
  • Gems on Grassland
  • Gems on Grassland Hill
  • Gems on River Grassland
  • Gems on River Grassland Hill
  • Marble on Plains Hill
  • Stone on Plains Hill
  • Settler on Plains Hill
  • Settler on River Plains Hill

For the combo types, if anyone has one that isn't listed please let me know.

Attachments

• MF_Text.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 78
Settler on Plains Hills Wine River

(I just read page 6 of this thread, but if this is what I think it is, then the starting tile above is very nice (especially with Financial).

Settlers can't spawn on top of a resource.
Wine can't spawn on a hill.

But other than that, I agree it would be a great tile. ;)

I think it would be useful to allow people to build their own dream tile and search for it.

Even though I worship you DaveMcW, I think this time you're wrong (about the wine hill at least). I have definitely settled on a 2/2/3 tile.

Great Plains maps offer various surprises:

Attachments

• plainshillwine.jpg
    plainshillwine.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 140
  • onresource.jpg
    onresource.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 123
DaveMcW said:
I was waiting for HOF Mod 1.005. But if you have some time for support I can try it out.
Ah, I guess the improved interfaces didn't temp you then. Rename, move, start Civ with selected save, etc. I even got rid of the update button. I don't plan any additional changes to it unless people have issues with it on their machines.

crunch said:
I have definitely settled on a 2/2/3 tile.

plains/hill/river/gems ?

Attachments

• 2-2-3.jpg
    2-2-3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 112
DaveMcW said:
But if you have some time for support I can try it out.
I guess I didn't answer your question. This week I have time.

fret said:
plains/hill/river/gems ?
I can set that up but I am not sure that is possible. Is that from a fractal map?

Denniz said:
I can set that up but I am not sure that is possible. Is that from a fractal map?

That was on a great plains map.

Gold gives the same 2/2/3 as well I think.

Issues with the beta version:

The "move" button works once.
If I click "move" again on the same save MapFinder complains about existing files and then crashes.

The "Load in Civ4" button works perfectly, if "Move First" is unchecked.

MapFinder crashes if I click "Load in Civ4" when "Move First" is checked.

MapFinder crashes if I click "move", then click "Load in Civ4".

Clicking in a grid cell should select the save for that row, not sort the column. If I want to sort the column I will click the picture on top.

The Coal and Clams columns are not located in a logical place by default. Fortunately it remembers when I move them.

There is no "any forest" column. I want to find the save with the most forests regardless of underlying terrain.

[HOF Mod 1.61.004] Sometimes MapFinder stops generating maps for no reason. I never contacted any civs, and if I hit Alt+X Alt+M it starts generating again.

DaveMcW said:
Issues with the beta version:
Thanks for taking a look. :goodjob:

DaveMcW said:
The "move" button works once.
If I click "move" again on the same save MapFinder complains about existing files and then crashes.

The "Load in Civ4" button works perfectly, if "Move First" is unchecked.

MapFinder crashes if I click "Load in Civ4" when "Move First" is checked.

MapFinder crashes if I click "move", then click "Load in Civ4".
There is only one move routine, so it should easy enough to clean up.

DaveMcW said:
Clicking in a grid cell should select the save for that row, not sort the column. If I want to sort the column I will click the picture on top.
That may have to be a feature. That control is the one I haven't been able to find a comparable replacement. The combination of image and text looks good but the standard gridview and listview controls can't do it.

DaveMcW said:
The Coal and Clams columns are not located in a logical place by default. Fortunately it remembers when I move them.
I put coal with the non-visible resources but I may not have ordered them by age. I don't remember where clams are but I may have moved things around during testing an forgot to put them back. As you said, it remembers how you left it. ;)

DaveMcW said:
There is no "any forest" column. I want to find the save with the most forests regardless of underlying terrain.
I was trying to keep the list manageable but limiting it to terrain and bonuses. If we open that can worms, the list is going to get bigger. Like what else needs to be included? Finding easily identifiable icon for each may prove challenging as well.

DaveMcW said:
[HOF Mod 1.61.004] Sometimes MapFinder stops generating maps for no reason. I never contacted any civs, and if I hit Alt+X Alt+M it starts generating again.
It will stop when it can't regenerate but it displays a message. (If it scrolls off the screen, it would still be in the log.) Two AIs in contact will stop it too, BTW. Do you have to Alt-X before you can hit Alt-M?

Map Finder Status:

I think I have the move file error fixed. @DaveMcW, were you getting the error cause you could hit the button more than once before the dialog?

I found a CTD bug in the rule builder dialog if you try to delete the first or last group. Probably for lines as well.

I am not having any luck getting python to recognize a change to the rule file while Civ4 is running. I think it rereading the file from memory cached somewhere rather than going back to the disk. May if I open it for i/o...

I have coded most of the combo logic coded into the Mod. I have also straightened out the range bug. I am in the process of testing those changes.

More later.

This is the 2nd BETA version of the new VB 2005 .NET Map Finder application.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required for this version. You can download it through your Windows Update or directly from here.

NOTE: There are NO changes to the HOF Mod with this version. The old VB6.0 version works as before.

You can download the 2nd BETA version from >>here<<.

Fixed: Move errors, delete errors, and misc bugs; Clams and Coal positions in columns. Added a few more Combo Types. Added Freshwater terrain.

Note: About clicking in first column to select row and any other column to Sort. This has to stay the way it is. Control doesn't support an alternative.

TO-DOs:
create report icons/columns for terrain groups. Edit: Done. Updated download.

Could someone who does not have Office try this install? I don't think the dependence on Office is gone but it would be useful to confirm that.

DaveMcW said:

Here's an example save.

Press Alt+M to start MapFinder.
It will generate 2 maps and then stop.
I need to hit Alt+X, then Alt+M to start it up again.

I included my .rul file if that affects anything.

Attachments

• FarmPastureFloodplain.zip
    188 bytes · Views: 77
DaveMcW said:
Here's an example save.

Press Alt+M to start MapFinder.
It will generate 2 maps and then stop.
I need to hit Alt+X, then Alt+M to start it up again.

I included my .rul file if that affects anything.
I ran it using your files. It stopped after 3 with the message "Cannot Regenerate..." It does that because a function call to the CoreDLL, CanRegenerate, returns false when two Civs are in contact. I guess the real mystery is why it doesn't fail again when you hit Alt-M.

We'll verify that and see what's going on. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom