Civ4 Temporary Leave Announcement Thread

Cool worked Eclipse, thanks. Especially as I was gonna start a PitBoss game soon! I am currently swapping between the entire BTS installation folders though which is about 4 GB and taking ages. Is there a more efficient way? Like could I keep both folders in the steam/steamapps/common folder named as I like and just change the names according to which I want to play? Or will that with steams head?

I just went for it and it works! Both files are sitting in the steam folder taking an extra 4GB of space, although luckily hard drive space is not an issue for me. All sorted! Can switch in a couple of mins now :)

Edit: Nevermind, welcome back Mitiu!

Also - I finally had my baby #3! Will be starting to catch up on turns today, but obviously the next couple weeks could be hectic for me, so if I am delayed you'll know why. Life should be back to "normal" (whatever that is) in the next few weeks.

Hey guys, I am back; haven't taken my turns yet as I am having some trouble with this steam update, will take my turns as soon as I get things taken care of, sorry about the delays.

I'm gonna upload the pre update steam version to a google drive if you are still having issues Osbiath. It should be finished fairly soon and ready for download.

I was afraid of that, ok I'll download the whole thing. If this doesn't work though I am considering dropping out of my games though :(

You will need to make the folders all the same names as previous editions though for steam to make it work... I had hoped you could click on the file and just download it all.

Don't leave CIV4 just because of this stupid update, it is a great game hence why we are still playing near 10 years on now, and you have just set up a few cracking games. Once it is all settled down it will be as if nothing changed. It is only because modified assets are locked anyway - otherwise there would be no compatibility issues between the versions

I am not going to be with fast internet for a while but I could try and convert it to a single zip file that would be downloadable in one go, that would certainly be easier to set up. Might be a while before I am able to upload it though. Also below are the only changes needed to make sure pitboss still works, these might be enough to make the PBEM games work too.

I was able to restore DirectIp functionality in BtS for both the game and the PitBoss server following GermanJojo's post with some differences:

1) Turn off auto-updates for Civ4 on Steam (Library-> right click on Civ 4 BtS -> Properties -> Updates -> Do not automatically update this game).

2) Close Steam.

3) Replaced following files from a not up to date version:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe
(MD5: 8e7bccc61849d684bfbba44e9c9bc647 - SHA1: 541f9b20da74d2a94dc1d9b49bb9dd8116e6c72e)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe
(MD5: 018697e7197ae214e7ca7da3093f58e5 - SHA1: af5805d237430e8891cd34b1d94985222f4dd7a2)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets\Python\PitBoss\PbWizard.py
(MD5: 0537702ddbbb4649914db16e166894e6 - SHA1: 628968016d4ce29c0b0cd969888e3b7026ec641f)

(It was not necessary to replace CvGameCoreDLL.dll.)

4) Restart Steam and load the game.

As reference my platform is Windows 7 x64.
Be careful to don't mix Vanilla/Warlords/BtS files while you replace them.

I'm sorry but this is becoming more of a pain than its worth. While I do appreciate your help, I think I will be dropping out of my games. I will do what I can to help find replacements for myself and Civtilidy (who also dropped out); but that is about it for me.

You will need to make the folders all the same names as previous editions though for steam to make it work... I had hoped you could click on the file and just download it all.

You did a very useful work, thank you! Can you tell us which files have to be replaced if one wants to continue with PBEM games this time. I cannot run any pre-updated vanila BTS PBEM games, to say nothing of the mods...

I don't know sorry Tigranes, I just put it all on a memory stick and created a second folder for it to swap between. I'm blessed with a huge hard drive. I think the best thing to do is zip it up and then upload again although I am short of internet until the weekend now.

Ok here it is take 2. The file is compressed into a rar file but still rather large.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kVuFl0AUB_WjN4ZmdMckJEZXM/edit?usp=sharing

Before going any further you need to stop steam automatically updating Civ 4 Beyond the sword

Once you've downloaded and extracted it then it needs to go into where steam saves games - on Windows 7 thats in the program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common. In here there should be all the games that you have in individual folders. The extracted folder needs to be in here named as Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword. You can keep your other version in the folder named as something else and switch names whenever you want. Remember that steam will open whichever is named Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword.

Thank you, mate!

Top Bottom