Civ5 on linux?

crocivfanatic

Warlord
I was reading news about steam os and saw a promo pic:

And if you look closely you will noticed civ5 on tv screen,is this some sort of "hidden announcement" how civ5 will be finally supported on linux?

Playing Civ with that silly steam controller? I wouldn't force my worse enemy to do that!

Anyway, afaik, there's some emulating software that allows to run pretty much all windows apps on linux. It's called WINE or something. Civ is already a kinda old game so I guess it could work.

Playing Civ with that silly steam controller? I wouldn't force my worse enemy to do that!

Anyway, afaik, there's some emulating software that allows to run pretty much all windows apps on linux. It's called WINE or something. Civ is already a kinda old game so I guess it could work.

Tried wine and it sucks,it just must be native.Beside steamos can be installed on any pc and played without controller.

Valve have claimed that they're going to port every single title availble in the steam store to linux. I have no idea how they'll get around the directx issues and stuff, but perhaps they actually have a plan to do it. Would sure be cool if they do.

Valve have claimed that they're going to port every single title availble in the steam store to linux. I have no idea how they'll get around the directx issues and stuff, but perhaps they actually have a plan to do it. Would sure be cool if they do.

Well most of games are already ported to "steam" format to make it work with achievement and steam system,so i dont see why they wouldn't be able to port it to linux as well.After all to make steam console work they will need a lot of titles to port.

xcom is being ported to gnu/linux, perhaps 2k is working on civ 5 too. hope so.

I have been playing Civilization V on Linux via wine for years including today. The current versions of wine do a good job with direct x 9c. It has limited support for direct x 10 and 11. Wine is constantly being developed since 1993 when it started. If you have trouble using it then I suggest you try looking the game up on the wine application database at www.winehq.com. Also try www.gamersonlinux.com or www.playonlinux.com.

I play civ on my phone using splashtop. I don't see how a remote could be bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I was reading news about steam os and saw a promo pic:

And if you look closely you will noticed civ5 on tv screen,is this some sort of "hidden announcement" how civ5 will be finally supported on linux?

The feature is in beta, but SteamOS (and soon steam app) will allow you to stream games from another PC. I.e. I have my powerful gaming rig upstairs but a small MCE downstairs for my TV. I dont need a beefy rig downstairs to watch tv, but if I want to play games I just stream (rdp) direct. Early tests show it can work very well with minimal frame lose.

The image you showed was not so much Civ V on Linux, but Civ V streamed to Linux

Well, actually I believe almost all of Valve's games are already available for Linux ;)
Have a look at the list and you can see a lot of their games got Linux support recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_developed_by_Valve

Edit:
To avoid confusion: Valve meant thet they'd port every single title they developed to Linux. Not every single title in the Steam store.
Although they are actively trying to convince other developers to port to Linux.

Slight bump for this topic.

Now we know that CivBE will also be ported to Linux by Aspyr, might there be a chance this will also (albeit a bit late) be the case for Civ5?
I doubt it, but who knows?

Slight bump for this topic.

Now we know that CivBE will also be ported to Linux by Aspyr, might there be a chance this will also (albeit a bit late) be the case for Civ5?
I doubt it, but who knows?

I guess you have a point here. Since CivBE is being built on Civ5 technology (I read this on some press release), once that is released on GNU/Linux it would be not a very great effort to port Civ5 too. Indeed, perhaps they are already working on that and they plan to release Civ5 together with the release of the first Steam Machines.
Well, I would surely love that, I haven't played Civ5 for months (I put a big red cross on Windows)! :p

Top Bottom