Civilization 5 - Ideas and Views

I would enjoy seeing a new pirate unit for the modern era. It would be slightly less then a destroyer. As we know from the news that Pirates are still around in the modern era. The original pirate ship could be upgraded to the new pirate type or destroyer. and the modern pirate unit can be upgraded to missile cruiser. Give the modern pirate unit the ability to load a single guided missile "no tactical nukes allowed". And of course can still go into rival territory.

I think if a new pirate unit was going to be added for the modern era, it would have to be incorporated with the idea of trade routes, and would have to be invisible, for the most part.

I am looking at tons of things here. Have about 300 differnt Leaders good or evil. If someone dont like them they should not play them. Give a 35 slots to leaders that a picture can be inported and a race creed and what they did in the world. So people can have there evil morons.

That clear. We do not need to go into this more.

Now Make the game larger 4x of what civ4 World is. How many Countrys do we have. How many city or towns do we have. I mean 50 citys is like Alaska. Why not 4x this amout. Why not make the game 4x as big. I have games that are 13 gb. and a Laptop that run any game easy.

Why can we not use the North or south pole. I cut movement 1/3 by a sub going under north pole vs going around the world.

A new issue why not Add a new area of flight. Basicly from 2100 and beyond we get Star Trak. Basicly take what master of Orian did in the 1980s. Build new nations and new countrys in new worlds. With new Tech.

Basicly what happen is civ. stop once you beat the world. Why not have the country like now working as one to make space stations and work then to mars and onword.

I am always going what happen after I win. Why not take it to the next step.

Mybe I am beyond civ. I work games where I build ships and destory planets. then defend my own planets.

Give options to make components of the game much more accessible to less experienced gamers, while allowing more experienced gamers to play the full game:

1. Allow the entire scope of the game to take place within two time periods. If playing Quick, the game could theoretically be done in an hour. Yes, it may be more boring for some, but this would allow others to play when they normally just wouldn't have the time. Plus, this could make Civ V a potential classroom tool that Civ IV's sheer size and scope prevents it from being.

2. Revamp the city-automation system. There should be buttons not just for :food:, :gold:, :science:, :hammers:, :gp:, and avoiding growth, but also :culture:, :espionage:, and avoiding GP as well (to make another city's GP production more efficient). Also have buttons that decides whether automated workers must build or change improvements according to those settings.

Also:

3. Culture should still affects national boundaries, but this process should be much more indirect. Boundaries shouldn't change except by mutual consent (during peacetime) or by war. Also, when a city is captured, the capturing civ should immediately get control of its BFC.

4. Two nukes should be enough to destroy an entire city and its BFC. Then have H-bombs that can destroy an even bigger radius with one single bomb.

5. Technology should exist to have anti-nuke missiles that automatically fire. If they strike a nuke, there are no losses other than this missile and the nuke.

6. Units' race should match that of its civ. (I'm sorry, but it's a bit silly having a bunch of white boys work for Mansa Musa. :D)

7. Three words: NO APOSTOLIC PALACE!

8. If you adopt the Representation civ, you lose some control over what you can build. If you adopt Universal Suffrage, you lose a lot of control except for the military. However, HR gets its :) bonus cut by 25% once somebody "discovers" Representation, and another 25% cut after Democracy.

9. Farms can export food to other cities, both within and outside that civ's borders.

you lose some control over what you can build. If you adopt Universal Suffrage, you lose a lot of control except for the military.

You didn't watch the DVD that came with CIV4?

They deliberately excluded these things because it would be ******ed and anti-fun. Nobody likes losing control of whatever.

6. Units' race should match that of its civ. (I'm sorry, but it's a bit silly having a bunch of white boys work for Mansa Musa.

Many mods for Civ4 already exist for this including Legends of Revolution ;)

9. Farms can export food to other cities, both within and outside that civ's borders.

Only if roads connect all of it and if the borders go through another country's borders you must have OB.

You didn't watch the DVD that came with CIV4?

They deliberately excluded these things because it would be ******ed and anti-fun. Nobody likes losing control of whatever.

Then put in another civic or two that allows the user not to choose this. The goal is to introduce an entirely new phase to the game that puts the player more in a strategic, let-the-economy-take-care-of-itself role. Perhaps in exchange, each city could get a substantial :commerce: boost.

Many mods for Civ4 already exist for this including Legends of Revolution ;)

Which is an excellent cue to put them Civ 5.

Only if roads connect all of it and if the borders go through another country's borders you must have OB.

Ah, I meant within one's own civ. :) But yes, importing/exporting food would be a cool option.

give religeon more play, like give them different benefits.

cristianity x2 speed on religeos building/ units, unit: crusader.
ect., ect.,

also add some earlier religeons.

aztec
egyptian
greek
norse

these can only be taken by countries in the similar area

norse = eurpoe
greek = europe
egyptian = africa
aztec = americas
maybe one for asia?

also add some earlier religeons.

aztec
egyptian
greek
norse

these can only be taken by countries in the similar area

norse = eurpoe
greek = europe
egyptian = africa
aztec = americas
maybe one for asia?
For Asia we can add Shintoism (Japan's polytheist & pagan religion), but Taoism could also count in here.

I am looking at tons of things here. Have about 300 differnt Leaders good or evil.

No, because having leaders at all is a distraction and an annoyance.

I have games that are 13 gb. and a Laptop that run any game easy.

Lucky you being able to afford one. This is not the case for all Civ players.

A new issue why not Add a new area of flight. Basicly from 2100 and beyond we get Star Trak.

I'm not opposed to future techs, but please, not like Star Trek. Ugh.

1. Allow the entire scope of the game to take place within two time periods. If playing Quick, the game could theoretically be done in an hour. Yes, it may be more boring for some, but this would allow others to play when they normally just wouldn't have the time. Plus, this could make Civ V a potential classroom tool that Civ IV's sheer size and scope prevents it from being.

Port Civ Rev to the PC for this, and do not do it to Civ V.

6. Units' race should match that of its civ. (I'm sorry, but it's a bit silly having a bunch of white boys work for Mansa Musa. :D)

This is yet another reason to take the identification with historical civilisations and leaders out of Civ.

Not in a million, billion years will he end up in there.

What do you suggest for a leaderhead? A black screen?

Actually, only certain groups of Muslims prohibit themselves from showing images of Muhammad. You can find images of him created by Persians and other worshippers of Islam online (like here). The big controversy was over the cartoon of Muhammad with a bomb in his turban and other such offensive depictions.

However, if you want to talk about history and who is a "deserving" leader for the Arabs, he is unquestionably on the short list.

3. Culture should still affects national boundaries, but this process should be much more indirect. Boundaries shouldn't change except by mutual consent (during peacetime) or by war. Also, when a city is captured, the capturing civ should immediately get control of its BFC.

4. Two nukes should be enough to destroy an entire city and its BFC. Then have H-bombs that can destroy an even bigger radius with one single bomb.

5. Technology should exist to have anti-nuke missiles that automatically fire. If they strike a nuke, there are no losses other than this missile and the nuke.

7. Three words: NO APOSTOLIC PALACE!

8. If you adopt the Representation civ, you lose some control over what you can build. If you adopt Universal Suffrage, you lose a lot of control except for the military. However, HR gets its :) bonus cut by 25% once somebody "discovers" Representation, and another 25% cut after Democracy.

There is already an antimissile defense system in the game that intercepts nukes. It's a national wonder. Try that. What about the AP is so bad?

On Future Techs:
The problem with any future techs, rysmiel and Atol, is exactly the reaction we just witnessed. If your idea of the future doesn't line up with mine, then people get frustrated or disgusted. Instead, if we just leave that in the mods (cue references to Final Frontier, Next War, both pre-made Firaxis mods and other player-created mods here), then everybody is happy. If they promised to include a Next War-like mod in the vanilla base game, so you didn't have to wait for any expansions whatsoever, would you buy and play it?

Why you want to dissociate the civilizations from historical context is beyond me. Do you want to play a game of Fall from Heaven with battlemechs?

I would enjoy seeing a new pirate unit for the modern era. It would be slightly less then a destroyer. As we know from the news that Pirates are still around in the modern era. The original pirate ship could be upgraded to the new pirate type or destroyer. and the modern pirate unit can be upgraded to missile cruiser. Give the modern pirate unit the ability to load a single guided missile "no tactical nukes allowed". And of course can still go into rival territory.

To model aspects of modern piracy, I would suggest that all cities have a small chance of 'breaking away' from a civilization and becoming 'barbarian', based on how far away they are from the capital. They would however, keep all the military building options the city had when it broke away. Thus we could see 'pirate' frigates, destroyers, etc.

I'd also like to see all privateers carry a small chance of 'striking out on one's own' each turn (going barbarian). That would be easy to program and accurately reflect aspect of pirates' histories.

Actually, only certain groups of Muslims prohibit themselves from showing images of Muhammad.

This proves my point. Muhammad as a leaderhead won't be in for this reason alone. It doesn't matter that only certain groups prohibit his image, it's that a decent amount of people would get mad. It's the same type of logic behind not including Hitler (And no, I did not just compare the two)

This proves my point. Muhammad as a leaderhead won't be in for this reason alone. It doesn't matter that only certain groups prohibit his image, it's that a decent amount of people would get mad. It's the same type of logic behind not including Hitler (And no, I did not just compare the two)

Actually, I don't think it proves your point. We'll see what the Firaxians decide to do, though. If the Muslim/Middle East Civ4 market isn't too big, they might just do it.

Don't get insulted, but most of the proposals about Civ V can be implemented in some mod.
I hope that Civ V won't be just some new mod with better graphics.
Beside bunch of things I would like to see (and which can be easily implemented), I think that Civ V should have:

- upgraded diplomacy, with more interaction with AI.
Somethink like: "If you don't become my vassal, I'll nuke you with 10 ICBM and destroy your city". AI's respond should depend on the situation in the field. Somethink like, if I have strong army nearby AI's city, then AI knows that I can implement my threats, and will take me more serious. Otherwise, it just can "I reject your empty threats".
Ofcourse, the options for diplomacy are infinite.

- Total war combat option. Which means, when we engage to battle, we get 3D terrain with 3D units and real time combat.
Many people wouldn't agree with this, but this could be optional.
Ofcourse, many problems would come with this. Like, it would be hard, for modders, to put new units. How to organize bunch of different units on the field? How to call/use bombarders, which are stationed 1000 km from the battlefield. The use of nukes, etc.

- option to get into the city (like in Civ III).
Now, ofcourse, cities should be fully 3D with people going around and unique building placement.

Never the less, if with Civ V we get the game whose only real improvement is graphics, I think that would be great shame if not the end of the Civ series.

- upgraded diplomacy, with more interaction with AI.

Strongly agreed.

- Total war combat option. Which means, when we engage to battle, we get 3D terrain with 3D units and real time combat.
Many people wouldn't agree with this, but this could be optional.

Not having to play it isn't the end of my objections, there.

I mean, personally I hate real-time games, and much of the appeal of Civ is indefinitely long time to think about every individual move. But it also seems that a real time tactical-combat game would be a very large addition, which for any finite total amount of development time/people/budget will be taking away from humerous other smaller alternative additions I would prefer. And which would add to the size of the game and to the problems playing it on less than cutting-edge hardware. So I vote very strongly no to this, not even as an option.

::MODERN ERA: It should be really playable. It has always been Endgame in Civ. The turn limit is nearing, Space Race starting. But I wanna PLAY it. Give us more meaningful modern buildings and improvements.

Data processing centers (+50% :science:) for Civs with computer technology and once any Civ has The Internet. Fusion power plants, Solar power plants.
Industrial parks should be upgrades to workshops. Roads should exist along railroads and should be upgradeable to Paved roads and highways (each adding :yuck:)
Space Ports could be build to launch satellites (commercial for :), military for enhanced sight or espionage). GPS could be a Wonder, giving units better accuracy or whatever, Echelon could be a Wonder, doubling espionage.

::GRAPHICS: First of all, the graphics of Civ4 SUCK if you compare it to the Anno 1701 and there is no excuse for that. If you zoom up close, it just looks like bad craftsmanship. The Civ franchise is big and the game itself is not the most difficult and expensive to develop. They should higher two more visual artists. Over the 5 years it usually takes them to make a new installment, that should be enough for a few improvements:

Each Civ should have unique Units and Cities. It's really not too much to ask. The units could be comparable in stats (or maybe not, I don't care), just look differently.
And the little things. A fisherboat should ha a real animation of a fisherman in action. If a worker builds an improvement, it should have different animations for each improvement and for each turn.

::BORDERS: If you build a city, it should expand its borders regardless of culture, just based on it's size. Until it meets borders of another civ. Then they stay the way they are. Cultural borders is just a moronic concept. Open borders should be two-fold: for civil units (and trade) and for military units. This way you can prevent a Civ from waging war through your territory.

::UNHAPPINESS: The way it is now is bonkers. It doesn't really matter. You can manage to have 5 crybabies and still stagnate the city. Either go back to the old way: unhappy cities revolt. If you don't correct this quickly, the defect. Or, make it so that unhappy citizens slowly f*ck up the productivity, increasing corruption or so. But give a REAL bad incentive for the player to correct unhappiness.

::UNITS: I prefered the old system. Attack, Defense and Movement, and 2/3/4/5 Hitpoints. I know, most people here like it more complex, but I always felt Civ becomes to much Total War by that.

::CIVICS should be balanced out. Some are just useless. But in reality, they are some of the most defining aspects of a society.

And as always: improve on the A.I.

::MODERN ERA: It should be really playable. It has always been Endgame in Civ. The turn limit is nearing, Space Race starting. But I wanna PLAY it. Give us more meaningful modern buildings and improvements.

Oh, agreed. (Though turn limits are things I am opposed to in principle.)

::GRAPHICS: First of all, the graphics of Civ4 SUCK if you compare it to the Anno 1701 and there is no excuse for that. If you zoom up close, it just looks like bad craftsmanship. The Civ franchise is big and the game itself is not the most difficult and expensive to develop. They should higher two more visual artists. Over the 5 years it usually takes them to make a new installment, that should be enough for a few improvements:

I disagree here. The graphics should be clean, simple and stylised. Their purpose is to give you information; so long as I can tell what each unit is, whose it is, and anything else I need to knwo to decide where to play it, it can look like Civ 1. I hate games messing around with more "advanced" graphics that just make them take up space and be slower.

Each Civ should have unique Units and Cities. It's really not too much to ask. The units could be comparable in stats (or maybe not, I don't care), just look differently.

No here too. All differences between civilisations should be adaptive; any pre-existing restriction on what a civ can build are reducitons in gameplay flexibility.

And the little things. A fisherboat should ha a real animation of a fisherman in action. If a worker builds an improvement, it should have different animations for each improvement and for each turn.

Animations are a great example of what I mean by a waste of space and time and complexity.

::BORDERS: If you build a city, it should expand its borders regardless of culture, just based on it's size. Until it meets borders of another civ. Then they stay the way they are. Cultural borders is just a moronic concept.

Oh heck no. Cultural borders and using them offensively is aprt of the game that needs to be seriously strengthened, to undercut the excessive dominance of military.

Open borders should be two-fold: for civil units (and trade) and for military units. This way you can prevent a Civ from waging war through your territory.

I want well more than two gradations here.

::UNHAPPINESS: The way it is now is bonkers. It doesn't really matter. You can manage to have 5 crybabies and still stagnate the city. Either go back to the old way: unhappy cities revolt. If you don't correct this quickly, the defect. Or, make it so that unhappy citizens slowly f*ck up the productivity, increasing corruption or so. But give a REAL bad incentive for the player to correct unhappiness.

Strongly agreed.

::UNITS: I prefered the old system. Attack, Defense and Movement, and 2/3/4/5 Hitpoints. I know, most people here like it more complex, but I always felt Civ becomes to much Total War by that.

Strongly agreed, though I do also think the base hitpoints in that system should increase with more advanced units.

:GRAPHICS: First of all, the graphics of Civ4 SUCK if you compare it to the Anno 1701 and there is no excuse for that. If you zoom up close, it just looks like bad craftsmanship. The Civ franchise is big and the game itself is not the most difficult and expensive to develop. They should higher two more visual artists. Over the 5 years it usually takes them to make a new installment, that should be enough for a few improvements

Agreed. But do not worry, Civ5 WILL be appealing graphics-wise, that's for sure. The only thing that should do an exception is about units. They should remain to icons, fast to identify and adapted to the schematic gameplay of Civ.

I disagree here. There should be as few as possible unit types, to facilitate their identification.

I was more thinking about adding sun reflections on armor and meteo, with clouds shadows on the ground. I don't care much about fishermen or workers building things, as long as their representation is clear enough (in only one eye throw).

::BORDERS: If you build a city, it should expand its borders regardless of culture, just based on it's size. Until it meets borders of another civ. Then they stay the way they are. Cultural borders is just a moronic concept.

OMG totally agree! I don't like cultural borders a lot myself. I even created a special topic only to express that.

The thing is, if you conquer a city in enemy territory, you have to conquer 2-3 more to be able to exploit its city radius. That just plain sucks, and favor long wars over short term ones. It would be very cool if we could do a short war only for a city, that we could exploit right after that.

Plus, culture should be managed in a different way. It should be similar to Civ4 religions, but with more coherency in its spreading. It could reach far away lands as long as they are connected to various nets (roads, railroads, rivers, plains, air) and reach very far away land in modern era. It would allow a new kind of cultural victory, more easy to do than the actual cultural victory.

Strongly disagree here. Happiness is a tough domain, because it is only a matter of the player's attention. Nothing is more easy to prevent unhappiness in our cities, the fact is that is not handy every time. If you play fast, especially in multiplayer, the city advisor should be able to prevent rebellions alone, without creating any rebellion. That is so easy to put an entertainner in the population in order to prevent it to rebel. The fact is, it is attention and time consuming. In fact, in Civ4, the cities should be able to revolt yet, they just do not have this occasion because city advisors do the work for you. I remember Civ2, it was a pain to click on every city centers or inhabitants in order to convert some pop points into entertainners. That was repetitive and tedious. Now you still can have unhappy faces in Civ4, and still, nothing is more easy to prevent them to appear, by placing you citizen accordingly on the map, or by enabling the "no growth" button. The fact is it is not even handy to do that. Happilly, some times the city will keep from growing even if you didn't activated the no growth button. I think Civ5 city advisor should forbid growth every time there is not enough happy faces.

I do not like much the old system. It obliged you to build specialized units, some to defend your cities, some to attack. With the actual system, you can bring any kind of units in the battle. I disliked the fact that you had to build spearmen for defense, horsemen for attack. Now, a warrior can be either defensive or offensive. It allows for more reversals in multiplayer.

::CIVICS should be balanced out. Some are just useless. But in reality, they are some of the most defining aspects of a society.

Agreed. There should definitely be more choice than heredetary rules the whole game, and we should be able to define the kind of relations the civ has with its population. (giving more or less properties to individuals, affecting cash balance)

Top Bottom