Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ

yeah there was a huge zero day patch - and it is required to play since Steam won't let you play with an unpatched game when it knows that there is a patch out there...

Thanks, ori. Although I've played the game since 1991 I'm going to stay with Civ IV. I just can't take the idea of Steam (Or anyone else for that matter) deciding whether or not I can play a game that I paid for. Steam's actions may be well-intended but, in the era of corporate takeovers I wouldn't want to have my ability to play the game as I wish to play it hinging on decisions made by a third party.

4,5 GB is the whole game, not only the patch.
Steam has this issue, that if you didn't have it before and install it directly together with Civ, it will try to download Civ instead of installing it from the DVD.

In most cases, if you now cancel the download and try it again, it should install from the DVD.
If it doesn't, then remove Civ5 in the steam library, uninstall steam, download it, install it again, and install afterwards Civ5 from the DVD.

Yeah, great design, isn't it?

In most cases, if you now cancel the download and try it again, it should install from the DVD.
If it doesn't, then remove Civ5 in the steam library, uninstall steam, download it, install it again, and install afterwards Civ5 from the DVD.

Years ago, I worked in software dev for a large ISP. Our job was to develop proprietary browser-based software for our end users. If we would had come up with something that worked that badly we would have been fired. Game companies have played fast and loose with their customers for a long time so I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Thanks for the help, reinstalling Steam helped, though my nerves are still wrecked as I had to patch the client I just had downloaded.

Top Bottom