Civilization 6: Ideas

Agreed. In fact, optimally I think each civ should have a special bonus for each age. Obviously this means some weirdness (I.e. extrapolating cultural traits backwards for the Americans and forward for the Egyptians) but I think it would add a lot to the late game.

I want to see a completely revamped research system. what I think might be cool is if you never actually directly research the next tech you want, but instead discover new tech by doing things in game. for example starting the game near water means you will begin researching sailing immediately, and then if you build many work boats or use your navy often you will discover new naval techs like optics. or if you have many hills nearby you will naturally discover mining, and the more mines you build the faster you will learn iron working and so on, build lots of armies and fight a lot and you'll get more military techs. and when you build libraries and universities, discovering techs happens more often. I think that would be cool.

Ok, so made this post years ago on this thread, and completely forgot about it. I really hadn't been following Civ 6 development at all until yesterday when I learned it would be coming out in October! (I know this isn't new info, I'm just really behind the ball). And so I started watching some preview videos about Civ 6, and low and behold, they're using my idea! Albeit, not exactly like I suggested here, techs can still be researched in the normal way, but now, what you do in game will boost your research! I think this is an awesome implementation of this mechanic, not completely different from old civs, but changed up so that what you do in game makes a difference, pretty much exactly what I wanted.

I'm not trying to take credit for coming up with the idea, I'm sure the devs are much smarter than I am, just really excited that something I really hoped for is going to be part of the game!

Peaceful capture
I wish the devs introduce a peaceful way to take over cities, e.g. by triggering an election in a foreign city. For instance, a happy city may trigger an election in an unhappy foreign city bordering it, because people would rather join a happier, more affluent country. Or a city could have ideological differences with its country and join you or declare independence. For example, the city is Catholic and the country declares war on Catholic's founding country.

Tile flip
Next suggestion is tile flip across borders when your culture is stronger. In this way, you could take over some Wonders and nice districts, instead of having to pillage your enemies every time or take over the entire city.

Golden ages
Not all golden ages are the same. We could have military golden age where we can build military units faster and they promote more easily. We could also have golden ages of different types like cultural, economic, diplomatic, religious, etc. And we could also have bad times of different types, like the Great Depression or hyperinflation, where the cost (gold or hammers) of everything goes up.

Interest rate
Gold/faith/culture could have an interest rate, so they multiply over time if you don't spend it. And after you build a National Wonder called central bank, you could adjust the interest rate with some trade off. Otherwise, without an interest rate there will be an incentive to do min/max-ing. For instance, at turn 50 you need a worker, which you can buy for 200 gold. But you realize you could have bought him 10 turns earlier, when your gold first reach 200. So you lose 10 turns of worker's improvement for not buying it 10 turns earlier. So you decide to go back in time and load the game 10 turns earlier. But in real life, we don't spend all our money right away. We save because there is an interest rate. And we can make the cost of the worker vary with time and population size too.

Tile flip
Next suggestion is tile flip across borders when your culture is stronger. In this way, you could take over some Wonders and nice districts, instead of having to pillage your enemies every time or take over the entire city.

Interesting, but I’d rather see a "redesign borders" option during peace deal where you can demand some tiles to the defeated party.

I think Civ VI should reintroduce the ability to trade maps- in Civ IV you could do this. Often I would trade my map to another civ in return for theirs, and so this way you can gain more complete knowledge of the word earlier on (right now it isn't necessarily until the discovery of satellites that players discover the a good portion of the world, which isn't exactly realistic).

Top Bottom