Civilization Color Schemes

comatosedragon

Emperor
Personally, I really hope that the color schemes of existing civs are re-worked. With the introduction of 9 new(although I have a feeling Inca may be one of the 'new' civs) it seems to me that it is almost mandatory. I know many people are used to the current color scheme, but IMHO a color re-work is long overdue. [Also, IIRC; the color schemes for civs changed dramatically between Civ IV and BtS].

The most obvious one that need fixing is Ethiopia [too similar to barbarians], but I have seen many around the forums calling for new colors for Germany [Currently Grey and white], Rome [currently purple and gold], and many of the "Red" civilizations :persia, Austria, Aztec, and England, and then there are the "Yellow" civs : Siam, Inca, Egypt, and Songhai.

Sure, there are many more important things to focus on, but to me, [much like the icon notification changes with G&K], it is the little things that do it for me.

So, how many of you are in agreement, and what if any changes would you suggest [keep in mind 9 new Civs are coming, plus [presumably] a few new DLC civs at some point].

[I guess the only remaining primary colors [ROYGBIV] to use are Indigo and violet, although the current Rome is closest]

I think the colors are fine. The only color scheme I dislike is Persia's (actually literally the reason why I don't like to play with them) but that's purely a preference thing.

I say keep em all as is

Songhai is a dirty orange. You are right about Ethiopia. I wish all the civ colours were byzantine colour. I wish the devs could allow players to choose there own colour for their civ but the AI civ's will stay default unless you change and save them as picked them.

Given that Poland has new colors, which suggests Austria keeps their old colors, suggests that they won't be changing colors. Otherwise, they would have given the Red and White of Austria to Poland.

(although I have a feeling Inca may be one of the 'new' civs)

With the new Civ 5 complete pack that includes all the DLC and G&K I would say that there are 9 new civs not some from the DLC

I wish the devs could allow players to choose there own colour for their civ but the AI civ's will stay default unless you change and save them as picked them.
I like this idea. Kind of like GalCivII.
With the new Civ 5 complete pack that includes all the DLC and G&K I would say that there are 9 new civs not some from the DLC
You are right, I had not thought of this.
Given that Poland has new colors, which suggests Austria keeps their old colors, suggests that they won't be changing colors. Otherwise, they would have given the Red and White of Austria to Poland.
Probably true, but what colors are left for the other 8 civilizations? People may not like a 'pinkish' civ, but it is one of the few colors left. I guess there could be black/white, black/gold, but those seem unappealing.

The colour schemes are pretty good at the moment IMO, but i really hate the Assyrian's colour scheme.

The current colors are fine. You have less base colors (that are distinguishable to the eye) than the number of civs so you there is only so much you can do to keep them unique, esp. with 9 more coming.

Honestly I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mayans :p
ickkkkk

I don't think the colors need to be changed though tbh.

Color schema of many civs are historically wrong. Some basic fixes:

China from green/white -> yellow/blue
Russia from yellow/black -> green/yellow
Austria from white/red -> yellow/black
Poland from red/brown -> white/red

I love the Assyrian color theme! Strange how these things are so a matter of taste..

Some speculation for new civs' themes (these are civs many think most likely)

Portugal - bright green and bright red
Brazil - yellow and bright green
Zulu - yellow and black?

Well, some speculation about the schemes of more controversial European civs (which seem likely in my mind) :
Italy green and white or green and gold (o) (o)
or
Papal States, they are likely to use Vatican colors rather than already so used red and gold, so: white and gold or backwards (o)

If Belgium is added, it would be most logical to use the colors of their coat of arms: black and gold: (o). If black is not widely preferred, which it isn't, brown and yellow would do well too: (o)

What do you think about the symbols?

I'm amazed that nobody complains about Ethiopia's colour scheme. It's far too similar to the barbarians' at a quick glance. It should be modified, make it more green, think of the Rastafari-flag or whatever.

I'm amazed that nobody complains about Ethiopia's colour scheme. It's far too similar to the barbarians' at a quick glance. It should be modified, make it more green, think of the Rastafari-flag or whatever.

Personally, I really hope that the color schemes of existing civs are re-worked. With the introduction of 9 new(although I have a feeling Inca may be one of the 'new' civs) it seems to me that it is almost mandatory. I know many people are used to the current color scheme, but IMHO a color re-work is long overdue. [Also, IIRC; the color schemes for civs changed dramatically between Civ IV and BtS].

The most obvious one that need fixing is Ethiopia [too similar to barbarians], but I have seen many around the forums calling for new colors for Germany [Currently Grey and white], Rome [currently purple and gold], and many of the "Red" civilizations :persia, Austria, Aztec, and England, and then there are the "Yellow" civs : Siam, Inca, Egypt, and Songhai.

Sure, there are many more important things to focus on, but to me, [much like the icon notification changes with G&K], it is the little things that do it for me.

So, how many of you are in agreement, and what if any changes would you suggest [keep in mind 9 new Civs are coming, plus [presumably] a few new DLC civs at some point].

[I guess the only remaining primary colors [ROYGBIV] to use are Indigo and violet, although the current Rome is closest]

Songhai is a dirty orange. You are right about Ethiopia. I wish all the civ colours were byzantine colour. I wish the devs could allow players to choose there own colour for their civ but the AI civ's will stay default unless you change and save them as picked them.
It was mentioned in OP. The colours are fine as they are, I don't cry for Austra scheme to switch with Poland and i kind of like this burgundy/red. Probably as many country we are from that many diffrent maps and colours cartographers made.

From CIV my fav is Russia and Inca, less fav is Korea that two colours just don't match.

I like this idea. Kind of like GalCivII.

You are right, I had not thought of this.

Probably true, but what colors are left for the other 8 civilizations? People may not like a 'pinkish' civ, but it is one of the few colors left. I guess there could be black/white, black/gold, but those seem unappealing.

The are many more variations than you can imagine. it's not 8 bits era anymore. Pick one for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

God, how embarrassing! :o

How could I miss that? Now I feel like :rudolf: - and still I'm not drunk or tired.

Well, I stand by my opinion, at least. :D

I have red-green color deficiency so to me it doesn't matter as long as the colors are different enough that color blind people can still see the difference.

What about three colour civs? like the outside of the marker above the head is one, the middle is a second, and the symbol is a third

Color schema of many civs are historically wrong. Some basic fixes:

Russia from yellow/black -> green/yellow

How the hell green-yellow is more historical for Russia than yellow-black? Yellow-black color scheme is based on imperial coat of arms.

What about three colour civs? like the outside of the marker above the head is one, the middle is a second, and the symbol is a third
Can't do. It's not about unit icon but minimap has only two colors for each civ. Dot for cities and background.

@thelohoped many are ignorant and thinking from their point of view just because they used map like this in their life;)
Spoiler :

I love the Assyrian color theme! Strange how these things are so a matter of taste..

Yeah, I'm a huge Assyrian fan and have been wanting them since Civ3 and I have no problem with the colors. It reminds me of cuneiform tablets. Plus, colors are running low so somebody needs that combination and I can't see why it shouldn't be them.

Top Bottom