Civilization III and Linux

Padma

the Absent Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Moderator Action: If the contents of this tutorial are invalid for you, please see this post for a possible alternative method of installing Civ3 on Linux. - Vincour

If you are like me, and run Linux in preference to Windows, you probably want to run Civ3 without having to reboot into a Windows partition. This thread hopefully will help those in this situation.

Firaxis has said that they have no intention of coding for OpenGL, or any other easily ported graphics system. They intend to stick with DirectX. So don't hold your breath waiting for any native *nix port of the games.

Fortunately, there is an answer to our needs: Cedega!

Cedega is the renamed WineX application. Civ3 was playable with version 3, and Conquests was playable with version 3.3. Cedega is Winex Version 4.0, and Civ3 is (almost) beautiful. There are a few minor glitches, but the gameplay is fine, and I have been enjoying Conquests again for hours at a time, without ever leaving my Linux desktop! :)

Start by subscribing to Transgaming: http://www.transgaming.com/

The "paid-for" version of the system has proprietary DLLs that are not available in the "free" versions that you can pick up. And they make a tremendous difference!

Now download the "Point2Play" package. At the time that I write this, the latest version is 1.3-2. It is available as an rpm, a deb, and a tarball. Choose the right variant for your system. (All dependencies are bundled with it.)

Install the Point2Play package on your system, and start it up. Use it to download the latest version of Cedega.

Once Cedega has been installed, insert your Civ3 disk, and click the "Install" button in Point2Play. Install should go as smoothly as it does in Windows. I went ahead and installed PTW and C3C, and C3C patch v1.22 all in the same session. Be sure to install the expansion packs to the same installation as the original Civ3; otherwise, Cedega won't find the earlier install, and you will get error messages.

Once you have the game installed, you will want to configure it within Point2Play to run properly. This page has some good info on configuration. It is for Civ3 Gold, but that isn't really any different than any other version of Civ3. ;)

Once the game is configured, just select it, and click the "Play" button. A new window will open, and after a moment, you will see and hear the game intro. (In my case, a second window opens before the intro plays ... :confused: ... but otherwise it works fine.) The Intro seems to be rather "glitchy", but my understanding is that is "normal" in this case. :rolleyes:

My only complaint is the sound. I am led to believe that if you use the OSS sound drivers by default, there is no problem. But many of us use the ALSA drivers, and Cedega apparantly has a little trouble with them. When I play, I hear rythmic snatches of sound throughout the game - just a little distracting.

Overall, Civ3 gets a 4 out of 5 rating for play with Cedega. If we can put up with a few minor deficiences, we can still get our Civ3 fix! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Lord Jimbob! :)

Just a few more tidbits, here:

Plain Wine does not have the dlls to support CD copy protection, so it won't work. Neither does Crossover Office, a Wine derivative. WineX (Cedega) only provides the dlls in the commercial version. They are not available in the free versions, not even in the cvs "roll-your-own" version.

VMWare apparantly does not handle DirectX well, either. Those who have tried running Civ3 with it have reported problems.

I have no information about the suitablility of any other Windows Emulators.

The latest version of Cedega is 4.0.1. Here is what they have to say about Civ3:
Civilization III
----------------

* There are several sound problems with this application.
* Occasionally the game will crash when building the first city.
* Earlier patch levels will not pass copyprotection. v1.29f is
recommended.
* The game will crash if sound is being used by another device.
The "playability" rating of Civ3 gets a 4 out of 5 rating with Cedega. Not bad for a game "Win-centric" as Civ3. ;)

How big are the winex downloads?
I was thinking of getting winex but I only have 33k dial up at the moment.
Though I do have a lot of patience

Hi Padma,

I'm also running linux, and I'm fed up with rebooting my computer. I often have multiplayers game and wa wonderning if the fact that my game would be running under Linux would leave mutiplayer games possible with opponents running Conquest under windows environnement.

Hey, I can't get MP working on Conquests with Linux. :(

I'm not sure if it's even possible.

The game CTDs when I go to host a game, and freezes when I try to join a game.

Singleplayer runs great, but what's the point of SP when you have two machines and a friend?

Dan O.

i have cedega but can't get conquests to run it just doesn't start
civ 3 works fine and i've run out of ideas
anyone else got any

hanni_ali: Are you using the CVS download of Cedega, or the full subscription version? The subscription version has some proprietary libraries that help handle CD copy-protection schemes like Conquests uses.

Using the subscription version, I rarely have any problem with my Conquests.

I'm trying to run Conquests on Ubuntu 5.04 with Cedega 4.3[.1] and Point2Play 1.3.3. I've installed Civ3, Conquests and the patches (1.29 & Conquests1.22) alright.

But playing the game seems to be a different matter. I does start mosty, but ends up with a black screen with this in the window bar.
Code:
"E\~edd141.tmp" 1 "E:\**~ef0226"

I'm fairly stumped on this; the guide for CivGold only goes so far the extra options on this version of P2P.

Can anyone illunimate me on this?

Point2Play is part of the Cedega subscription. I spent $15 for a total of 3 months subscription, downloaded what I wanted, then let my subscription lapse. Not terribly expensive. :)

FWIW, I don't use the p2p system anymore. I just run it from the cedega command line. I don't play so many games that I need different settings for them; they can all use the same.

You can download and compile the cvs version of Cedega for free, but it does not include the proprietary libraries needed to handle CD copy-protection schemes. So the *game* might play, but you can't get past the "Insert the Civilization disk into the CD drive" popup. And the usage of no-cd cracks to get around that is not to be discussed here.

Damn, then I have to use my SuSE CD because I forgot to get the C compilers in the install. But the CD is at my friends house...

I'd rather say No-cd Patches, but yes, no talking 'bout 'em 'ere.

EDIT: Anywho, that's good news. Usually I don't like to hassle with CD's and *cencorship strikes* :mischief:

Padma said:
Plain Wine does not have the dlls to support CD copy protection, so it won't work. Neither does Crossover Office, a Wine derivative. WineX (Cedega) only provides the dlls in the commercial version. They are not available in the free versions, not even in the cvs "roll-your-own" version.
Is it possible to download any dll that don't come in the commerical version from here: http://www.dll-files.com/

If so can you list them so I know which ones to look for. :)

Ahh, I used the term "dll" because it is wat most people understand. While they are technically "dynamic linked libraries", they are *Linux* libraries, not Windows dll files. I *highly* doubt they can be found at that site.

Also, they are *proprietary*, which means that providing them free-of-charge = piracy. ;) (Technically, providing them in any fashion (without a specific license to do so from Transgaming) = piracy.)

Has anyone had any luck running vanilla C3 or C3C on Fedora Core 4? I've disabled prelinking and exec-shield, and all the other things recommended for Fedora users, but still get only the splash screen, two windows, and nothing else. No intro movie, and no menu. Any ideas?

Top Bottom