Civilization III: Worldwide

Anthony hasn't got time for a break - I want my WW3 scenario. :)

You and me both. I have a few ideas for some bigger changes to this game but they need to be seriously tested first. After ww3. The good thing is that eventually the stuff made for that game can cross-pollinate back over here.

This is my third time downloading this mod (after three unrelated computer reboots), making sure that I get this mod as soon as my game finishes re-installing. Worldwide is an excellent expansion to Civ3, and I certainly believe that this would indeed by a perfect expansion pack for the game itself. Firaxis needs to endorse simply because it expands on all of the points them themselves have no. Plus, your mod is an awesome display of work a mod can be when you've combined the work of others and your own to expand upon a game we all enjoy. Kudos!

Also, if Worldwide is any measure of your talent for modding, then I have no worries that your WW3 mod will be just as incredible.

Im having trouble trying to load the scenario of the worldwide mod, the game cant find the files or the folders that is associated with the Mod. I placed the main Worldwide folder in the scenario folder just like you have suggested to do but it simply doesnt load or it says missing files. Do I have to keep the Arts and Text folder within the Scenario Folder or do I have to dispatch the files to their respective folders of the Game itself?

Latest version is Worldwide v2.7.zip .....

Civilization III: Worldwide
To play Worldwide, download the main folder from the link above, and then place it in your C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios folder (or where ever you keep your Scenario folder), along with the scenario biq file which is in the Worldwide folder. Make sure there is not an additional folder hiding inside the Worldwide folder; you should open it and see an Art and a Text folder. Then start up Civ 3 and access the game from Civ content.

( To avoid the win7's Program Files (x86) I keep my folder in C:\Users\Public\CivIII\Conquests\Scenarios Folder. )

You will also need the 1.22 patch to play it.

it says that arts/advisers/RA_all.pcx file is not found and the game exists, still unable to play the modpack so far :(

Edit:
-kjohn13 > Do I have to keep the Arts and Text folder within the Scenario Folder or do I have to dispatch the files to their respective folders of the Game itself?

I just placed the whole Worldwide v24 folder in the Scenarios Folder. ... ...

I found the RA_all.pcx file. ---- Worldwide v24\Part I\Worldwide\Art\Advisors\(RA_all)

Hopefully someone who knows what their taking about helps with this problem. Give it a few days them maybe PM the Creator.

You should have a folder called "Worldwide" or similar in the scenarios folder, inside that should be folders named "Art" and "Text" and easy mistake to make is having double folders as a by product of how you extracted it. Check that this isn't the case.

In the end you should have:
Scenario Folder: Contains .biq and "Worldwide" folder
Worldwide Folder: Contains Art and Text folders.

You can also open up the .bq in the editor and check under scenario properties for the field that says 'scenario search folder' or something similiar and verify that what you have there matches the name of the "Worldwide" folder exactly.

If you can't figure it out from that then try to explain precisely where your folders are and I'll see if I can figure it out.

I downloaded the worldwide modpack again in case I deleted some files while moving them. I checked the Arts folder but then theres no Advisors folder in the newly downloaded modpack.

The adviser folder is missing from the uploaded modpack on the forum

kjohn: I think Etain is correct. It sounds like you do not have the full download from the blue "Download" link in post 1. If it still does not work, perhaps a screenshot can help us determine the issue.

Vivaporius: Thank you for the nice comments. I would agree that this mod could only work with the help of many people who have shared graphics, utilities, and insights into the game.

I've been editing and testing some concepts for the new version. The changes for buildings and improvements are going well. There will be some government tweaks, with constitutional monarchy possibly being eliminated. Limited build unique units might be a possibility...looking promising right now. There may be a bunch of new bonus resources but so far they are not generating correctly. Hopefully that can be improved. We'll see.

Anthony.... I really appreciate your hard work on this mod... but PLEASE state that the blue link download contains only Arts Text and the worldwide biq file... I uninstalled the WHOLE Civ game thinking that the download content had the whole CIV game integrated because of the size of the file, now I have to download the whole Civ game again! >.<

Also, if Worldwide is any measure of your talent for modding, then I have no worries that your WW3 mod will be just as incredible.

From what little I've seen, it will blow away anything else that has ever been done.

First I would like to thank You Mr. Boscia:king: for a great job on this mod. Your work is fantastic and I have played your mod for about a year now. I play many other mods as well but yours is most certantly one of my top 3 if not my favorite mod out there for any version of the civilization series. I have played civ 3 since it first came out, and i have played most every mod, multiyplayer, and many other civ 3 related things. I have followed your thread on this mod for quite some time, but i was never a member, until very recently. I had a some sugjestions for you about this mod, i know you are working on other projects, and some of my ideas for you, if you were to accept them, would be a big undertaking, but i hope you will consider some of them! They are all constuctive coments in i speak directly about the game.:D

- I have just downloaded your 2.7 and i like all of the changes to the mod that were in it, and i like what you did with the dictatorship governement, and I thought you could do alot more in terms of governments for this scenario.
Some modern government types could be more specified such as individual civ governments, specific civ governments, like a 3rd reich for the germans, or a parlimentary monarchy for the British, or a rule by pharoes for Egypt. Others, could be a ferderal republic, or a oligarchy for the romans, or japanese or a really different option in a religious based governement like a fundamentalism-"Arabia", or cult-mesoamerica. Or a future flavor, like a technocracy-i know its a sci-fi type thing but it could be the last government to reserch. I find that this could really change the game in that i could give the feeling of a more independant civ, it would also seperate the mini power boosts that each civ should have like the mongols, in the middle ages, a civ specific gov could have the same effect.

-I thought that if you wanted to add more diversity in the same aspect of civilization individuality, you could allow for all civs to have 3 specific techs, instead of two and the occasional three. This would allow for more considerations for the human player when deciding what civ to play with, and also allow for more diversity, and balance.

-Civs like the Magrehb, and the balkans are really easy to kick off the map in all stages of the game, I find that even the human player has trouble playing with them because they do not have a "power boost" or a really strong era. Their wonders, really don't help that much for very long, and they dont have any stand out units. The biggest problem for you of course in finding balance while giving civs a stand out time period, or unique feel, and individuality, which the original civ 3 lacks. I think that maybe delving into the very early era for the magrehb might be bad since they could have to much of a head start but late anciet era they could become a sea power, and hit the punic wars "era" mid classical era to my understanding of the civ timeline, with a good punch early. the balkans could potentialy be a very good wwI era civ, with the black hand terroritst group in serbia, racial profiling by austria- not quite the balkans, but for the period's sake the decided to throw that in. You could also make the balkans have a high resisistance to propagana in that period, and a strong sense of nationalism-more units like serbian shock troops, people forget that some of the bloodest fighting of the war was in the mountains of Serbia and Austria, you could also add in the romanian aspect of monarchical fevor and royal pomp to this era. Many other civs have this problem, civs like America especially later, Germany, england, france, russia, china, spain, to some extent, west africa do not.

-I find that there are still some balancing issues that i am not quick sure are supposed to exist. the consription tech is one of the most important in the game, and some civs really do not benefit from it. japan and greece both get units, that are a full one/two points weaker then their counter parts. should not the base unit of this tech be balanced across the board? I also found that an aI civ with a good economic, and production position with the ability to build grenideers can destroy in this era. I found my self with out grenideers as persia, against a very powerful sweden and i lost 4 cities in 2 turns and then 4 more to a well timed attack by sweden when i was engaged in another conflict with an overly advanced egypt-i happened to be playing on emperor dificulty, but i found that i could not withstand the grenideers which ended me very quickly. I played this scenario multiplayer as well, and my friends and I found that this time period is crucial in order the have a semi good position going into the industrial age and beyond, which is when the big wars and hegemony races begin to take shape esspecially in a game with other human players. The balancing of key units really can make or break the game, and that is why i wanted to ask you why is the balencing off, or on in this mini era?

-I find that many aI civs will stay on the cheifdom government for much of the game because it allows for a decent worker rate, and good support, while the corruption is bad, it can be offset by the human player, and on higher difficulty it is not felt by the AI player. I go back to the civ specific, and government issue here because i think it could really change how the game is played i terms of equal footing, and the use of different strategy, instead of riding cheifdom or autocracy governments throughout the entire game.

- I seem to notice that the power of artillary, as is has been metioned before should be offset by something. not alot but something that can be a pain in the backside to the player who choses to go artillary heavy- tank busters throughout the late middle ages, enlightenment ages, to the modern. when i do belive you introduce one could be a very good thing for cash strapped or resource scare civs, that need to counter the AI's ( i am glad to say great use of it- this mod is great for artillary usage and by artillary i mean cannons to the final modern moblie artillary) or a human player's offensive. I also think that bombardment ranges for some early artillary, and maybe ships, should be increased to give that action a greater purpose in the game and to allow a navy to support a landing force better then they previously could.

-I know that you are developing new civs to be put into the remaining slots, i must say that in order to get them to fit in perfectly you might need to give more units a place in most eras, early eras, and the begining of the industrial period i find can sometimes really lack a variety of units, mainly industrial, and the modern era could have a face lift tech wise, i think some much can be added creating much more tense drama for a game that i gone into a locked state of war, or a race against the clock. By the time i have hit the modern era the game is close to being over, which is why i think allowing for a longer game by adding in more to the earlier eras, to prolong it so that the your work on the modern era could be really shown off would be a great thing, and to your credit the modern era is very good, even though i know you want to give it a face lift.

I know this is a huge post and not all of it is detailed as to what i have thoughts about but i hope that you will consider some of the ideas i have given you, and if some thing is unclear don't hesitate to ask:)
Your mod have given me and my buddys many rainy days of enjoyment, drama, and nailbiting conclusions to games that have ended at six in the morning. I hope i speak for most of the civ community in saying that your hard work has not gone unnoticed, and you have made many dedicated civ 3 fanatics very happy :goodjob:
thank you !
a MellowOctopus

Hi MellowOctopus. Thanks for posting and the many great comments. I like long posts with lots of ideas. When working on the mod sometimes it seems like an echo chamber in my head when I'm trying different solutions so I appreciate other insights a great deal.

First off, the governments. This has been an area where I've long been split two ways. On one hand, from a modder's perspective, having more governments opens a lot of options. Different governments means you can actually control building options and autoproduced units in addition to the governement-specific stuff like war weariness and corruption. From a player's point of view, though, fewer options are better. Why choose anything less than the best government, like Republic or at least Monarchy in a normal game? The AI certainly isn't going to do so. Also, I did look at the option of having civ-specific governments when making the game but had a few hang-ups. First off, either a special government is more powerful than normal governments, in which case there's no reason to have anything else, or it's less powerful and there's no reason for it to exist. Second, if it is more powerful, the player will naturally stay with it as long as possible since governments don't go obsolete. If the Roman Republic government type, for example, is great in the ancient era, why switch to something else in Medieval times? You could ride it all the way to the next type, like the Venetian Republic or whatever. Civ-specific governments by necessity limit player choices. If you're the Poles, you would choose the "Commonwealth" government when it's available every time you played Poland.

This is why I settled on the model of having basically two government choices for the first half of the game. Rather than being very specific, they are intentionally broad and ambiguous. A room full of political scientists could split hairs on what these governments are like in the real world and whether reality matches the model, but in Civ-world we can demarcate them clearly. Autocracy represents a centralized government with bonuses in commerce and an emphasis on city growth and science (which in turns emphasizes luxuries as an unhappiness-counter). Feudalism, which may be renamed Aristocracy, represents any number of decentralized power where the local rulers are running the show, and the player gets his bonuses by having lots of small cities and can conduct better warmongering. This is why I think the Chiefdom/Kingship dilemma works fairly well, since it is a tough choice. As much as possible, I like the game to be about finding those sweet spots where you really agonize over when to start a war or switch governments, and knowing that delays can have bad consequences. On what difficulty levels are you seeing the AI ride Chiefdom that much? On monarchy and emperor I always see them leap to autocracy, but I don't play higher than that. And if the AI is riding high on a crappy government, I don't see how civ-specific gov'ts can overcome that. I do like your though of adjusting the worker rate better, though.

I'm at the point where I don't know whether it's better to expand individual civ options or reduce them. More civ techs and buildings give more flavor, but how much do they add? The options for improvements and wonders are so limited that it's hard to get excited about yet another building that adds 50% commerce or doubles city defenses. Honestly I was not happy with all the extra buildings in Worldwide 2. Even though they have some nice graphics I thought many just clutter up the game and aren't very useful. I want to give things like the Town Hall or the Rathaus the axe because even though I like the concepts I don't think they're that great in practice. The 256 spots in the building list are going to be premium real estate in the expansion and nothing will be spared.

The civ balance is quite deliberate. I like the idea that not all positions are equal. It gives the player more of that feeling of having 'favorite civs', and for the experienced player you have the option of essentially playing with a handicap. Japan gets a nice boost in Medieval times with the Kamakura Samurai (a blitzing, bombarding knight!), but that is turned on its head by the Enlightenment. I recently have been playing a game as Japan, my first game of worldwide in a long time, and was rushing to strengthen my position before the Enlightment. I hit my Golden Age and promptly turtled up, trying to catch up in science and improve my infrastructure while hawking lots of trade deals post-mercantilism and biding my time until I could get Meiji Riflemen and start a new brawl.

The Balkans, as you said, are a tough position and I like your idea of having something cool for the Balkan Wars-WWI era. I didn't want to go so far as to include Austria, although Hungary gets pulled in the Enlightenment Era, when the Balkans join the five other civs swallowed by the Turks during this time (fully 25% of all civs in the game are part of the Ottoman Empire for 3 mini-eras, which made choosing units a real B). This applies to Greece as well, who really get screwed, though they have a monster advantage in ancient times. I think you are very correct that this time period is crucial in the game and is the first real breakout period where a science lead gives you a tremendous advantage. I would like to expand options for grenadiers. I played with their stats a lot in testing, and like you said they are devastating on the offensive. More people will be getting a unit similar. For example, Edo Era Japan will probably have the Firaxis samurai as an offensive unit (although weaker than a grenadier), and then an ashigaru or doshin unit for defense as the fusilier stand-in.

Thanks to the unit creators, especially Delta Strife and Imperator, we really have the option to expand the 19th century properly. The Era 2 artillery bombard will probably get nerfed a little, and there is going to be a late 19th century cavalry (merging the cavalry/dragoon line) and artillery with the introduction of breech-loading/recoil reduction style guns. The progression will probably be called Cannon=>Artillery=>Howitzer, pretty similar to Civ 2. In the mid era 3 Modern Era, there's going to be a World War style cavalry that accompanies machine guns and infantry and will be a weaker blitizing 3-move alternative for people without oil who can't get tanks and recon units. I'm going to be testing the possibility of Reverse Stealth Attack, too. Since we can't have the Civ4 bonuses like anti-tank, anti-cavalry, etc. then this will be a way for weak civs lacking resources to counter stronger civs. Machine gunners will be dirt cheap defenders, maybe with one lower hit point than infantry, that have reverse stealth attack against cavalry and infantry. Basically these units will have stealth attack against machine gunners, which forces them to attack the machine gunners in a stack before any one else and will grind them down before they can attack the stronger defenders. The same thing will apply with anti-tank troops that force armor units to deal with them first. At the same time, artillery will probably get stealth attack against artillery and infantry in the style of Storm Over Europe. Along with its 2-movement and blitz this may give the AI the opportunity to counter-battery your bombarding artillery. These changes will coincide with BIG price increases. There are going to be new production building bonuses (the manufacturing plant, +25% production for rail station and mass transit), but the cost of units will be much higher, especially power units like the tank. Thus, anti-tank units really have a chance for the poor civ to defensively inflict punishment on power civs to defend themselves.

The game will still rely on what I call Time Echelonment of units. That is, rather than having a variety of units available all at once or the heavy hand of autoproduction, certain units are very powerful for brief periods and thus the AI will end up with unit variety over time. The dragoon and the marine are good examples of this. This method will be expanded on and adhered to in the expansion. Also, upgraded units will generally not have resource requirements while new units will. Infantry and machine gunners won't need resources but aircraft and tanks will need that rubber and oil. This way resource depravation won't cripple your defense as bad as it will your offense. The new motorized infantry that comes with Mobile Warfare doesn't replace the Infantry unit but stands alongside it. It's a powered up defender that can protect offensive tank forces and is great for the wealthy player, but poor defenders can still rely on cheaper foot infantry.

By the time the game reaches late era 3 and era 4, you're really only there by choice. Hard core warmongers will really have things decided in era 2. Therefore these late times are really meant to have interesting options while you pursue victory conditions like the UN or space race. I like Era 1 because it's the most civ-like. Adjustments there are really only going to support that kind of freedom. I want the player to really be able to choose his direction: early warmongering, science, building, expansion, etc. with maximum freedom before the deliberately restricted Eras 2 and 3 with their mini-era choke points. Era 4 will probably open up some again, although there's going to be a science/hegemony-centered 1950s, a 1960s mid-level unit upgrade wave, some more BS in the 70s, and then a second unit upgrade era in the 80s-90s. This will give some space for the interim introduction of different units like Phantom jets and BMPs and stuff.

Some other things being playtested include the elimination of mines from plains, grasslands, and desert, and raising the food per citizen from 2 to 3. This is a drastic change and will have many effects. Irrigating from the sea will be introduced very early, and irrigation on grass and plains will give +2 food. The tentative plan is:

Grass: 3 food (possible +1 shield), 5 when irrigated
Plains: 2 food, 1 shield, 4 when irrigated
Desert: 1 food, 1 shield, 2 food when irrigated
Forest: 1 food, 2 shield
Hills: 1 food 1 shield, 3 shield mined
Mountains: 1 food 1 shield, 3 shield mined
Tundra: 1 food, 1 shield, 2 food when irrigated

The intention is to slow production and growth slightly, plus make the map prettier. I want to introduce more bonus resources through the ages as discussed by Pounder, but early tests in this area have been very poor. I've got a lot more testing before introducing changes this radical since everything has a ripple effect.

MellowOctopus, I am very interested in hearing about multiplayer worldwide. :) None of my friends play civ, or any computer games for that matter, so I have no experience in this area. I think it must change your play style a lot from the predictable computer. The WW3 game will have a separate multiplayer version so maybe worldwide could get the same treatment if needed. Thanks for the great comments and looking forward to more insights!

PS: If you think this post is wordy, don't even get me started on unique units and how with a little testing and a lot of palette work I'm going to see about restricting ICS, spies, elite units and mini-armies with the dreaded and underrated Build Army option.

thank you for a for a great reply!
I would like to clarify that the AI likes to ride chiefdom at around the regent-monarch difficulty. They will switch to autocracy/kingship on higher difficulties. I think that it is really a sleight bug but I do play on higher difficulties-monarch/emperor so I think that it is really a lower level thing.
I see your point on the government issue. But I do believe that governments in civ can be very individualized, based upon time periods, while if you were to go with this full tilt it would not enable Persia for example, to be communist but I think it would really add some very interesting flavor to the game. The biggest thing that would need to be done to make it work is to take lets say the Roman senate, and then upgrade it to the venetian republic in era 2 and have major differences in the worker rate science cap, or the spy and diplomat levels. I think if using this example you would want to have the roman senate have a low science rate like 60%, and have a very high support for metropolis cities (Rome) like 20 maybe but have lower support for the towns and cities to balance it. I think u could make the government give high worker rates, but very high corruption levels, as to show the corruption of the Roman counsels. The Venetian republic could give a priority to the art-very high worker rate but low levels of support to show the city state garrisons during renaissance Italy. This would be very hard I agree but could make the game truly different and make civ selection a very tedious process :)
-Your point on the grenadiers was also good, like the idea of expanding it more and making that era have more options and to give a bit more to civs that struggle during that era. Thanks for clarifying the balancing of the fusilier units for all civs, I totally agree with it since you keep it really historical! I think adding things to help offset weaknesses of Japan or Greece would really help.
-The Balkans civ really could become a fun position to play if it were given its hey day- WW1. The world was focused on that area during that period, and making them much more militarily powerful during that time would help greatly, but then showing the ethnic splitting during the 40s,50s, and 60s would also be great. Including Yugoslavia, and then its split in the modern era would be fun too. I think that to make the game even better individualizing the power surges od each civ is crucial also to make it more historical. I had one other thing to say about that, America's modern power is unbelievable. A powerful America, can't be matched in the modern era and I think that u did a great job with that as well showing the times of power, and weakness.

I wanted to say that multiplayer worldwide is awesome!!!! I have a few friends that play and we all get together and play worldwide. We used to play el Justo's the cold war and it was great but, Worldwide adds so many dimensions to the game that I can't play anything else with my civ friends :) We like to play large pangea maps, wet, and warm with no barbarians, and all civs allowed. That leaves eight human players. and 18 AIs. Multiplayer allows for the variety that u want to be fully displayed. I once wanted to dominate scientifically and win with hegemony, my friend was playing as Germany, and decided that was not a good thing for me to do so he declared war :(
He is the real warmonger of the group, and he really tries to use the civs with the most power throughout, units wise, Germany, and England. I was playing as Poland and I had no way to match him militarily, and once he realized what I was doing, I advanced to era 2 first he began to gobble up cities. He killed one AI in the ancient era, and one as soon as he got medieval archery. This was the last game we all played together, and we are going to finish tonight. (We played last Saturday) Looks like I need to beeline for starowaka and get those hussars, if I have any hope. As a side note my friends civs are including me, Germany, Poland, Ethiopia, England, India, Arabia, France, and Scandinavia. All civs that can really show off power, Ethiopia with economics, Germany, England, warmongering, India, can do a little of everything with quick metropolises, Poland and Arabia, with mar mongering, and quick science, and government research, France with some great wonders, and Scandinavia, with good early and mid game. Most of these civs have grenadiers, or a substitute in the means of units or play style:D
I really like the food idea, I also wanted to say we are playing on patch 2.6, 2.7 is not working, I think the reason is that the resources do not have correct icons, when I try to start a game with it, it just exits. I figured I should relay that:)
I would like to help in any way that I can with worldwide or other mods, I can help to find modding material but I am not great modder my self:sad: I don't have the time, but I can be a historical consultant, material finder, and I can also try to balance things, and I can also go about analising world time periods, as I am a history nutt;)

Thank you for your response, and your work on this mod
a MellowOctopus

My hat is off to you, sir, for that ingenious 'Reverse Stealth Attack' idea. I think it could work in the Middle Ages too, with knights and other heavy melee horsemen having to attack the pikeman-type units in a stack first (with the weaker horse archers, as ranged units, not subject to such restrictions).

As usual, my biggest complaint about the latest version of Worldwide is that it's really distracting me from working on my own mod.

I'm going to be testing the possibility of Reverse Stealth Attack, too. Since we can't have the Civ4 bonuses like anti-tank, anti-cavalry, etc. then this will be a way for weak civs lacking resources to counter stronger civs. Machine gunners will be dirt cheap defenders, maybe with one lower hit point than infantry, that have reverse stealth attack against cavalry and infantry. Basically these units will have stealth attack against machine gunners, which forces them to attack the machine gunners in a stack before any one else and will grind them down before they can attack the stronger defenders.

I experiment with these settings in CCM and SOE, especially in submarine warfare. If stealth attack should work, you always need at least two targets for the stealth attack in a stack. With this methode not so advanced submarines first have to deal with destroyers and frigates in a stack (if the stack contains at least two of these units), while more advanced submarines (Typ XXI in SOE or nuclear subs in CCM) can attack targets with a better value, as they have a different setting for stealth attacks.

The problem with your "dirt cheap" machine gunners is to convince the AI to build them.

I experiment with these settings in CCM and SOE, especially in submarine warfare. If stealth attack should work, you always need at least two targets for the stealth attack in a stack. With this methode not so advanced submarines first have to deal with destroyers and frigates in a stack (if the stack contains at least two of these units), while more advanced submarines (Typ XXI in SOE or nuclear subs in CCM) can attack targets with a better value, as they have a different setting for stealth attacks.

The problem with your "dirt cheap" machine gunners is to convince the AI to build them.

Yes, the machine gunners only exist really to include the unit graphics. They have little value in themselves since there is no real reason to have two defensive units. They would exist mainly as an upgrade to the longbowman unit line (currently the grenadier line), so the AI is not expected to build them, but simply upgrade the ones they already have. It could be possible to justify their inclusion by having one defensive unit be more powerful and the other be the draft unit. The other option is to eliminate the machine gun/anti-tank line entirely and have grenadiers upgrade to infantry.

Just $0.02:
1 more idea is to make MG units to be powerful defensive but immobile units with the big cost (shields). MG is especially effective in the defended "area" - like bunker, trench.
So, the cost (shields) will represent not only an equipment production + human resource recruitment & training, but also engineering work. Immobility will represent the most effective way of usage.
Just an idea and food for thought. :)

Top Bottom