"Civilization IV: The Complete Edition" only loads colonization!

US for life

Chieftain
When I installed "Civilization IV: The Complete Edition", and reinserted the DVD, it only allowed me to start Colonization. It says on the box that it is supposed to include Civilization IV, Beyond the Sword, Warlords, and Colonization. The only thing I can play is colonization. Please help!

Welcome to the posting side :)

the installer should have created shortcuts in the programs list and on your desktop to all of the 4 games - if it did not (since you are using Vista most likely) you need to go to the install folder and either start the games from the .exe files there or create your own shortcuts :)

I'm using Vista, and when I download it it only let's me play colonization, it also doesn't create an install folder, and there are no.exe files. The only way I can even start colonization is putting in the DVD. I really need some help.

I am experiencing the same problem. Running Windows Vista, threw in the Civ4:Complete disk. Ran the install, it completed for Civ4, then automatically brought up the install for Colonization, which I then told it OK. After completing the Colonization install, it auto-ran the game, so I exited and wanted to load up the original Civ4.

However, it appears that no install of the original Civ4 or the other two expansions occured. There are no folders, files, .exe's, etc relating to any of the games except for Colonization.

Restarting the Setup only wants to Uninstall.

I have the same problem. I'm running a 64 bit version of Vista home on a tremendously powerful computer. I installed everything all at once, exited installation without starting the game immediately, and checked the manual to see if I needed any patches. I didn't, so I ejected the DVD, reinserted it, and tried to start up Civilization IV with its expansions. Instead, it automatically took me to Colonization. I couldn't access regular Civilization from the menu's options. I tried to access Civilization from Start>Programs, but there wasn't a folder there at all. I checked My Computer and found that the data had installed in My Documents, in My Games, and only Colonization was there with no executables. I tried to find a patch for this and there is none.

the my games folder is only created after game startup and is not the installation folder - you need to look in Program Files (x86) on your local hard drive

starting the game with the disc (autoplay) will only start colonization

did you install with administrator rights?

Welcome to CFC :band:

You're quite correct, Civilization IV was installed under Programs(x86), and I can start it from there. I did perform a search in My Computer with the word "civilization" before I ever asked on here, though, so please don't think I'm a lazy idiot. Thanks for the solution.

I also am experiencing issues (maybe?) after installing. I installed the Civ IV: Complete Edition on Windows Vista and there are no desktop shortcuts, no folders or items within the start-> program files menus. It ran through the original install, then immediately started the colonization install.

I had to go to the install folders to find the .exe and create my own shortcut, which worked (sort of). There are 2 folders in the branch - one for Colonization and one for the Original. Each has a separate .exe to run from, and each seem to work.

I do not have mods or anything like that, just the DVD fresh out of the package purchased at the store yesterday.

When I played last night for the first time, I assumed that the version I was playing was the original with all the expansions loaded on it (since the Complete Edition came with them) and the game ran fine. It was a fun introduction to the Civ World. I was reading up on things today to learn more about the game and figured out that I did not see any of the expansion items mentioned when I played (some of the types of civilizations i wanted to play were not options, but apparently were added in the expansions).

So, is there more than one .exe in the Civ folders then for each expansion? If I open the latest one, does it include all the others? Or do you have to play each like a separate game? I watched it install the original and the colonization, but did not see it install the expansions (I assumed it was included in the original install) and don't see those as a separate choice to install from the disk.

Why would they make the install so that it does not include a folder in the program menu? Or put options of desktop icons? It seems a bit incomplete to me for an installer. Is this normal or was there an issue with the install? Should I uninstall and re-install or is this the expected result?

Thanks!

there are four .exe files:
1) for Colonization in its own folder
2) for Civ4 in its own folder
3) for Warlords in a subfolder of the Civ4 folder
4) for Beyond the Sword in a subfolder of the Civ4 folder

you want to use No.4 - and do patch to 3.19 :)
the installer fails to create the shortcuts on some windows vista installs if the installation is not run with admin rights - but you can create your own shortcuts (just right click on the .exe and choose create shortcut or send to Desktop).

there are four .exe files:
1) for Colonization in its own folder
2) for Civ4 in its own folder
3) for Warlords in a subfolder of the Civ4 folder
4) for Beyond the Sword in a subfolder of the Civ4 folder

you want to use No.4 - and do patch to 3.19 :)
the installer fails to create the shortcuts on some windows vista installs if the installation is not run with admin rights - but you can create your own shortcuts (just right click on the .exe and choose create shortcut or send to Desktop).

Ok, I am installing this on Windows 7 and have the similar issue. I have found those exe files. My only questions is does launching Beyond the Sword.exe launch the expansion with the warlords expansion material too? Or only beyond the sword?

Thanks

But where do you find those exe. files??

Here's what happened to me...
I just got to play colonization. I did the recomended installation. When I realized it can only play colonization. i uninstalled the game. But it still said, Play, not, Install. I deleted the my games file. And still nothing.

Ok. So I have the Civ 4 Complete Edition. And Vista. I Install it and only Colonization Pops up. I go to explore cd and cant find any files for Warlords or Beyond the Sword. I search my computer and cant find anything for them. Step by Step wtf do I do?

Top Bottom