• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Civilization Request Thread

When is the spice market unlocked?

Well it has potential to be OP then, though I believe its a bit too specific...

It's supposed to be specific, hopefully to balance the OP-ness. I was also thinking of making the UU maintenance higher than the usual rifleman which, again, makes the spice market less OP.

Edit: I could change it to a UB which gives all spice resources inside of your borders +2 gold and +1 culture, that may be less specific

For me, that design just doesn't capture what Tunisia is about. Sure the country has Roman ancestry but thats a weird thing to for the civ to focus on - like you're basically saying the actual Tunisians haven't done anything worth including, which is both wrong and a little insulting. Not to mention the fact that Romani ancestry would mean they were descended from Gypsies, not Romans. And either way, the UA isn't super interesting.

The UU makes no sense, Libyan fighter? Uhh... What? So now thats 2 uniques with nothing to do with actual Tunisians.

And the UI is too specific, if you don't start next to spices, bam, you've got no second unique. That sucks, no vanilla unique is that specific, especially not a UI which are situational anyway. Its also not super exciting and I'd still rather build a plantation most of the time anyway for the +1 food after fertiliser, since gold isn't that useful.

Where's the Naval focus? For almost its entire independent Arab history Tunis has been one of the most important naval bases in the Med. The Hafsids got rich from naval supremacy and trade, and then the barbary states situated in Tunisia were some of the most important pirates in old world history, fighting everyone from Imperial Spain in the 16th century to the United States of America in the 19th!

Also, minor nitpick, your Arabic is wrong. It should be Asl Al-Romani, Roman descent, as far as I know. You've written Al-Ruma Al-Nisab which means the descent the gypsies :lol:

Well thanks for Tunisian history lesson, seriously not being sarcastic. I load little knowledge about Tunisia other than modern events, and also I used Romani ancestery as I had literally no other name idea and well the Romani are a cultural ethnic group. Sorry, it was not my intent to sound a bit offensive.

Edit: I used a translator (not Google) as, obviously, I don't know any arabic

Well thanks for Tunisian history lesson, seriously not being sarcastic. I load little knowledge about Tunisia other than modern events, and also I used Romani ancestery as I had literally no other name idea and well the Romani are a cultural ethnic group. Sorry, it was not my intent to sound a bit offensive.

Edit: I used a translator (not Google) as, obviously, I don't know any arabic

Its cool man, we can't all be doing history degrees like me or the world would just collapse. Either way, if you're ever planning on designing a civ, just take a little time to learn about them - it does wonders in making a fun and relatively accurate design, even if that's just reading over the relevant Wikipedia articles, which are all really useful and fairly accessible, as much as people like to bash them for being inaccurate. (I mean, I get that anyone can edit it, but which internet trolls are thinking 'oman anyone wanting to learn the history of Tunisia under Aghlabid rule are going to get trolled so hard!' Like come on.

Also, Arabic isn't Indo-European (The language group to which all European languages, except the Finno-Urgic and Basque languages, belong, along with the Persian and North Indian languages - since they all have a common ancestor) its Semitic, so has a completely different structure to languages like English, German or Russian which can behave a bit better when translating. Usually using translators to make Arabic sentences ends in complete disaster since the grammar can't be changed over easily - just stick with English.

Its cool man, we can't all be doing history degrees like me or the world would just collapse. Either way, if you're ever planning on designing a civ, just take a little time to learn about them - it does wonders in making a fun and relatively accurate design, even if that's just reading over the relevant Wikipedia articles, which are all really useful and fairly accessible, as much as people like to bash them for being inaccurate. (I mean, I get that anyone can edit it, but which internet trolls are thinking 'oman anyone wanting to learn the history of Tunisia under Aghlabid rule are going to get trolled so hard!' Like come on.

Also, Arabic isn't Indo-European (The language group to which all European languages, except the Finno-Urgic and Basque languages, belong, along with the Persian and North Indian languages - since they all have a common ancestor) its Semitic, so has a completely different structure to languages like English, German or Russian which can behave a bit better when translating. Usually using translators to make Arabic sentences ends in complete disaster since the grammar can't be changed over easily - just stick with English.

Thank you, it makes me feel a lot better that you saw the mistakes and educated me for the future! You are awesome!

Edit: I will do a lot more research on Tunisia, hopefully not make the same mistakes and give my idea a complete re-do, just one question though, if you can answer it, was Habib Bourguiba a good leader choice?

Are you sure they speak Arabic at Tunisia? I thought they have their own language...

You are correct, I believe COF

Edit: They speak all of those languages, but Tunisia also has Tunisian Arabic, and since I have absolutely no idea about language origins and all of that, I couldn't understand a word when reading about it(it was in English).

Will you continue with your civ-splits? It's been some time, and they're always quite enjoyable to read.

And sometimes inspirational.

Must... have... Spain split...

The pace will probably pick up once exam season and then the subsequent holiday is ove. That said, I might be able to squeeze one out between now and the 30th, it always gives me something of a burst of motivation to hear that people are reading and enjoying them, and even more to hear that it could inspire potential designs given I'm far too dumb/busy to code my own and still have a desire to see some of my designs made one day. (My Mao hype is off the charts right now) Spain you say? Problem with Spain is that its so hard to narrow down to who deserves to be split. Iberian tribes, Suebi, Asturias, Leon, Castile, Aragon, The Christian Monarchs, Al-Andulus, Granada, New Spain, Imperial Spain, Iberia under Phillip, Francos Dictatorship, Catalonia, Navarre...

Y'know jifford, here's the design and discussion thread... Rumor tells there's a Spain split there....

The pace will probably pick up once exam season and then the subsequent holiday is ove. That said, I might be able to squeeze one out between now and the 30th, it always gives me something of a burst of motivation to hear that people are reading and enjoying them, and even more to hear that it could inspire potential designs given I'm far too dumb/busy to code my own and still have a desire to see some of my designs made one day. (My Mao hype is off the charts right now) Spain you say? Problem with Spain is that its so hard to narrow down to who deserves to be split. Iberian tribes, Suebi, Asturias, Leon, Castile, Aragon, The Christian Monarchs, Al-Andulus, Granada, New Spain, Imperial Spain, Iberia under Phillip, Francos Dictatorship, Catalonia, Navarre...

I would do Castille and Aragon for sure, and then it's between modern Spain and Granada for me.

I'm also going to be doing Navarre with Firebug. Here's my design:

Leader: Sancho III

UA: Royal Basque Society: Cities with outgoing trade routes generate Cultural Great People points even if they do not have the appropriate building. Gain an additional trade route from each Great Person Guild.

UU: Aduanero: Replaces Rifleman: Stronger in friendly territory. When garrisoned in a city, that city's trade income is increased by 25%.

UB: Baserri: Replaces Colosseum. +1 food, +2 culture and 1 great work of writing slot that when filled gives +25% great person generation. After discovering Acoustics, a second Baserri can be built in cities which already have one. This second Baserri has the same yields as the original one, except that it has a great work of music slot instead.

Personally I'd make the UA work only with Sea Trade Routes, name the UU Chapelgorris (or Txapelgorri) and the UB a Toreador Arena, but that's mostly coming from the vision of the place.

I definitely think calling the UU txapelgorri is a good idea because it drives home the most important part of Basque identity - the fact that their language is pretty goddamn weird ;)

Top Bottom