• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Civilization Traits

Himalia

Overlord of Eternity.
I was wondering if there is any way in changing what any of the civilization traits your nation starts the game with. Im aware that you can just check the boxs for them and give each nation whatever you want. But what im asking is, is there a way that these can be changed so they actually do something different and can you add new ones that do completly different things ?

Basically, no.

You can edit some of the effects of the traits by changing which improvements they refer to. For example, Religious civs get certain improvements half-price. This is because those improvements have the "Religious" trait box ticked. You could change those, for example by giving Commercial civs cheap Banks by ticking the relevant box there. But you can't change the basic effects of the traits or add new ones.

Actually, using special starting techs, you can, by creating special techs that correspond to each trait, and giving those techs the ability to allow something different. For example: create a tech called "Expansionist Tech". make it untradable, and give to each of the civs that are marked as expansionist. Then do something that makes it worth having. I.E. create a settler unit that moves faster than the normal one, and make the prerequesite your expansionist tech. I am using a system like this to make the trait differences stick out more in my MOD.

Top Bottom