Civilization V: Gods and Kings released worldwide

got it and played a quick tiny map game with theodra of byzantium
religion givs some bonus and you get faith points for hiring missionaries to spread yur rel and inquisitors for countering enemy religions thats not yur state rel. You also get spies to steal tech, if enemy even got one you dont have or to counteract enemy espionage.
you can improve some time your rel to get more bonusses from
quite good and game gets up to 6 gb

Finally!! I was tired of waiting. Now I'll start playing and hope this is as great as I've seen on many comments ;).

Bloody Steam. Its taking ages to download. :(

Man, hope I can access Steam tonight when I get home, as I'm *very* keen to downlaod & play the game ASAP!!!!

Eh? What licensing/tax/copyright/patent laws would preclude a company from releasing its game in more than one continent at a time?

None IMHO. However I'm merely giving you a number of reasons that have been given by companies in the past. You need to be directing that question at Steam/local game retailer and then more importantly your local MP's. Some (especially Lib Dems in the UK) are so into being seen to be "cool" and "with it" that they will jump all over something like this because it involves computers/games and everyone is a "gamer" these days because they have Angry Birds on their Iphones. Anyway last OT from me and i promise to make future sarcastic asides more obvious. :D

Here's my question: Is it worth it? I did not like CiV Vanilla, does GaK make it playable? I'm looking for answers from people who also didn't like Vanilla CiV.

Here's my question: Is it worth it? I did not like CiV Vanilla, does GaK make it playable? I'm looking for answers from people who also didn't like Vanilla CiV.

It changes very little, beyond making the game even less balanced, like adding in espionage which has only two benefits: Seeing into cities (useless in 5 since you see pretty much all you need to as it is) or stealing technologies (really easy and overpowered.)

Civ5 with G&K is still what Civ5 was without G&K. A poorly done, unbalanced, broken pseudo-sequel.

It changes very little, beyond making the game even less balanced, like adding in espionage which has only two benefits: Seeing into cities (useless in 5 since you see pretty much all you need to as it is) or stealing technologies (really easy and overpowered.)

Without engaging in discussion about it here, this claim about espionage is false (and the claim about balance rather intriguing too).

More can be read about it here.

If you hated some of the more fundamental aspects of Civ5 vanilla, like 1upt for example, well, it's still there. But if you liked Civ5 vanilla a little, you'll like G&K a lot.

Awesome guide - thank you!

Quick question from a long time, casual Civ player:

I see each version of Civ as a 3-layered pyramid, built over time. The first layer is the base game. The second layer is the expansions that Firaxis puts out, including scenarios and mods (i.e., BTS, G&K, DLC). The third layer is the player produced material of the mod community.

Now, I actually like the base game of CiV, and the hour I've played of G&K shows real promise (it's been a busy week). Is there any indication that the game is becoming more mod friendly? Part of the magic of Civ is discovering new mods that extend gameplay - it's the added value that keeps me coming back. Does CiV accommodate major mods? If Civ loses the mod community now and in the future, the pyramid will look pretty flat.

Civ5 recently (as in, a couple of weeks ago) moved over to Steam Workshop, which is (apparently) a much better system that will allow for enhanced modding capabilities, so the signs are that there should be improvements on that front, yes.

Civ5 recently (as in, a couple of weeks ago) moved over to Steam Workshop, which is (apparently) a much better system that will allow for enhanced modding capabilities, so the signs are that there should be improvements on that front, yes.

Thank you, Camikaze!

Civ5 with G&K is still what Civ5 was without G&K. A poorly done, unbalanced, broken pseudo-sequel.
I love it how he bashes the expansion while stating in his sig that he hasn't even played it :goodjob:

I love it how he bashes the expansion while stating in his sig that he hasn't even played it :goodjob:

I love that your inability to read lead to that level of guesswork. You're quite wrong, though. :p Nothing about my signature says I haven't played it (which I have, and the mod's response to my post is hilariously wrong and a silly attempt to get people to check out his guide for a game that takes absolutely no skill to play), merely that nobody should buy Civ5 or its expansion pack.

I haven't bought a copy of Battlefield Earth and I strongly recommend nobody bother buying or touching that, either, but I've sadly still seen it.

Admittedly that's an unfair comparison, as you can at least watch Battlefield Earth to get a laugh from how bad it is, or to watch alongside the Rifftrax of it, but Civ5 really has nothing like that going for it.

I love Civ5 and wish to express my enjoyment of G&K.

I think that they have done a really good job with religion and can't wait to see what modders can do with it and the steam workshop.

The change in city states is a welcome addition and at the least makes competition for them more heated. In my last game I had Sweden sending its spies out running coups on my militaristic city state allies.

somehow intensly played letting out some rev points
1. espionage is somewhat useless unless you can get techs if AI would be ahead of you, which is also not good for winning
2. religion can get some little bonusses but it gets to expensive at later point to buy cathedrals for your colonies
3. only Maria of Austria has civ leader ability to buy city states into own empire, another good ability has Dido of Carthage getting free harbors for coastal cities, but only useless for Pangeaea game
4. Smaller maps got bigger it seems
5. you still cannot start as Americans in America, no exact historical start positions still random
6. the steam power scenario is like a mod, interesting overhaul

Now it's out for everyone :). I adjusted the OP to reflect that :).

I still can't get the DVD anywhere. Official release was June 22, but the distributor has forgotten our country, it seems. :mad:

The first addon for Civilization V, Gods and Kings, is now available in northern America. Edit: And now worldwide :). ...

So, not quite.

Top Bottom